Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7365 Discussions

How to fix slow wifi speeds after wake from sleep with modern standby on windows 10

GPfei
Novice

My lenovo laptop uses an Intel AC-9560 wireless adapter. With modern standby activated, the connection after wake from sleep is extremely slow and limited to about 20Mbps. When I disconnect and connect the adapter, i get back to my normal speed of 500Mbps. Currently the only work-around is to disable modern standby in my bios. i am using the most current driver (21.50.1.1) and have been hoping for this problem to be resolved with every driver update I received.

43 Replies
GPfei
Novice

post now in the right forum. Other post to be deleted

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello GPfei,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We would like to know if you were able to contact Lenovo™ Support as per advised by Al.Hill in the other thread. If so, could you please share with us the findings or feedback Lenovo Support found out?

Also, in order to take a look into the behavior, please provide the following information:

1- Is Intel® Wireless-AC 9560 the original wireless adapter that came pre-installed on the system?

2- Laptop's full model number:

3- For how long has the laptop experienced this issue? Did it work fine before? Please provide details.

4- Does this happen only on a specific network or is the issue reproduced in different wireless networks?

5- Are other devices working fine on the same wireless network? Please provide details:

6- Please run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report to this thread.

6.1- Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

6.2- Open the application and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".

6.3- To save your scan, click Next and click Save.

6.4- To attach a file, you must click the “Attach” option on the bottom left-hand corner of the response box.

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
GPfei
Novice

Hi Andrew,

thank you for getting back to me. I have not received any response from Lenovo. In the Lenovo forum there are a number of discussions where people face similar issues with various models and adapters. However, there is none yet for this configuration I am using.

to your questions:

1 - The adapter is the original adaper that was pre-installed. Yes

2 - Lenovo Carbon X1 7th Generation, 20QD CTO1WW

3 - The device has experienced the issue from day one, i noticed the performance degredation of the wireless adapter after wake from sleep when I took breaks while installing software

4 - the issue happens on different wireless networks with different access points (brands / manufactureres)

5 - I have multiple Lenovo, Microsoft and Apple devices that don't experience the issue. No phones or other wirelessly connected devices show any unusual behaviour

6 - please see attached.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello GPfei,

Thank you for your response.

We would like to recommend the following steps:

1- Perform a clean installation of the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) driver (from Lenovo) following the steps on this link: Clean Installation of Wireless Drivers

Before uninstalling Wireless drivers from Device Manager, uninstall Intel® PROset/Wireless software from Windows® Apps & Features. (if applicable).

You may download the driver from Lenovo website using the link below, make sure it is the correct one for your Windows® version and system model: X1 Carbon 7th Gen - (Type 20QD, 20QE) Laptop (ThinkPad), Drivers & Software*

Note: If you see that the driver is automatically re-installed when you try to uninstall, this could be due to Windows is re-installing the driver, in this case, try the steps for the Clean Installation of Wireless Drivers by disconnecting the computer from the Internet.

2- Check the recommended Setting Power Management for Intel® Wireless Adapters and set it to Maximum Performance.

3- Additionally, you may check with Lenovo™ if one of the following updates may help with this issue:

3.1- There seems to be a new BIOS update available 1.23 (current one on the system is 1.20), check with Lenovo™ if one of the fixes included may help.

3.2- There is a Power Manager driver for Windows, check if it may help with Power issues.

Regards,

Andrew G.

*Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third party endorsement of Intel® or any of its products is implied.

0 Kudos
GPfei
Novice

Hi Andrew,

I did perform the clean install of the driver and did update the Bios to 1.23 which was released on Nov 4th. Both did not resolve the issue. The Power Management Driver is installed and current; I did reinstall the driver as well.

The power management settings you mention did not show on my system, but I did follow a Microsoft article to change these settings for the wireless adapter in the command prompt and did verify the settings in the registry.

Unfortunately none of these steps did resolve the issue and it persists without any change.

I will also reach out to Lenovo, for now the options are only to disconnect and reconnect to wifi or to switch to Linux Power management in the BIOS, which disables modern standby of Windows.

Goetz

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello GPfei,

Contacting Lenovo™ is a good idea since they may provide additional suggestions and debugging, feel free to share any feedback you may receive from them.

Also, in order to take a deeper look into the behavior, could you please provide or confirm the following information:

1- Computer power source (plugged in or battery):

2- Please elaborate on steps to reproduce the issue (you may provide links to forums, online help, screenshots):

3- Environment (office, school, hospital, factory, home):

4- WiFi configuration manager (e.g. Intel PROSet, Windows AutoConfig (native), etc.):

5- Number of systems affected:

6- Wireless security method:

Encryption Type (Open, RC4, TKIP, AES):

802.1X authentication type (WEP, TKIP, CCMP): 

Key Management Type (PEAP, EAP-FAST)

7- WiFi network environment:

Access Point manufacturer, model, & SW version:

Wireless Frequencies in use (2.4 and/or 5 GHz):

802.11n or 802.11ac enabled (None/HT(11n)/VHT(11ac)):  

Channel Width (20 MHz vs. 40 MHz) for 2.4 GHz?

Channel Width (20 MHz vs. 40 MHz vs. 80MHz) for 5 GHz?

SSID stealth mode (hidden or broadcast):

8- Please provide a new Intel® SSU report so it can reflect the changes after installing the OEM driver and BIOS update.

9- If possible, please share the link referencing the Microsoft® article you followed:

Regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
GPfei
Novice

Hi,

1- I tried and tested it with the device plugged in as well as on battery

2- Here a few articles and suggestions in the various lenovo forums; I didn't follow all of them but did test a few of the suggestions. Here are two articles and comments from users experiencing the same problem I have:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Yoga-Series-Notebooks/C930-slow-wifi-after-sleep/td-p/4387039

https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/8x1z5b/x1c6_slow_wifi_speed_after_wake_from_sleep/

3- The problem occurs in various networks, not all networks are as fast that a drop in wifi speed would be noticable. But i was able to reproduce it at an office environment as well as at home

4- Windows native

5- currently only using one device with this adapter; all other devices work fine

6- in the home network Encryption is AES and Authentication is WPA2

7- the home network is using 5GHz with an AVM Fritz 7580 access point, FW Version 7.12, SSID is broadcast. 802.11n+ac , operating 80MHz with 160MHz allowed

8- see attached. after the Lenovo driver didn't resolve the issue I did re-install the current driver to check if re-installing the most current driver has an impact

9- https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/928152/you-may-experience-connectivity-issues-or-performance-issues-when-you (also https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/82794-change-power-saving-mode-wireless-adapters-windows-10-a.html)

In addition I also tested hibernate instead of sleep. Returning from hibernate I don't have the issue as the network adapter disconnects. I did set the group policies in this article; the device should now disconnect the network during sleep, which would help; It would mitigate the performance problem. I don't have tested it sufficient to see if the policy helped: https://www.top-password.com/blog/prevent-windows-10-from-disconnecting-network-during-sleep/

0 Kudos
GPfei
Novice

It looks as if the group policy disconnects the wireless adapter on battery as well as when plugged in. Upon wake the network speed is currently stable and >500Mbps. I haven't had the issue with slow speeds anymore. It seems this is a good workaround, but doesn't resolve the underlying issue.

https://www.top-password.com/blog/prevent-windows-10-from-disconnecting-network-during-sleep/

Goetz

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello GPfei,

Thank you for your response and all the details provided including the workaround.

We will check the information and take a look into the behavior. As soon as we have more details we will be posting back in this thread.

Regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
Lewis-H
New Contributor I

Try following one by one. Skip a step which you have already tried.

Run Internet Connections / Network Troubleshooters

Windows Key+i > Update & Security > Troubleshoot >

1. Click Internet Connections > Run the Troubleshooter

2. Click Network Adapter > Run the Troubleshooter

If above doesn't work - I would recommend that you perform a Windows 10 repair upgrade. This is not a Reset or Reinstall of Windows. Repair upgrade fixes all Windows errors and retains all files, applications and settings. Hence, you will not lose any data /program/app while backup is a good idea. Below is a good guide to perform repair upgrade.

Regards,

Lewis

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello GPfei,

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

We would like to know if you were able to check the suggestions provided in the last post by Lewis-H. Did they help?

We are still working in this behavior, if the issue still persists, could you please provide the following details in order for us to continue checking further?

1- What kind of Access Point are you using? For instance, is this Aruba? Please provide more details about network configuration.

2- When reproducing the issue for how long the system goes to sleep before waking up with the speed problem?

3- Could you please provide Over The Air traces? (there are some third-party software that may be used to collect this, for instance, Wireshark*)

4- Please provide details on how you are measuring speed:

Andrew G.

*Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third party endorsement of Intel® or any of its products is implied.

0 Kudos
GPfei
Novice

This suggestions are basic trouble shooting steps performed before I opened the post. This was not a suggestion that was specific to the problem.

The problem unfortunately persists and I found also dell customers having this issue.

0 Kudos
GPfei
Novice

Hi, the replies were generic and basic trouble shooting steps performed before I reached out. there was nothing specific to this problem in Lewis suggestion.

1- The acces point here is an AVM Fritz AP behind a Sophos Firewall. I have tried it with several access point including Cisco and had the same behaviour in various locations. (see beginning of the post)

2- I tried to narrow down the sleep. Originally I thought it is only after a long sleep, but I could observe the behaviour already after approx. 5mins of sleep

3- I can collect traces, but currently with the group policy enabled to force a wifi disconnect upon sleep I don't encounter speed issues. If it is valuable, please let me know and I will revert the policy and try to reproduce it again. Can you provide which settings you would want for the trace?

4- I have been testing several pages incl. fast.com or oakla, originally I wondered why everything seemed slower than usual. I did upload some screenshots earlier.

Goetz

0 Kudos
GPfei
Novice

btw. I found comments in dell forums of customers describing a similar issue with dell devices.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello GPfei,

Thank you for your response with the details provided, we are currently working with this last information you shared.

Regarding your inquiry about traces, if you can provide them it would be helpful to check further this behavior.

Please kindly collect the traces (packet capture) when reproducing the issue. What we would like to collect is all the back and forth process when reconnecting after sleep between the adapter and the network. You may use third-party software for this, for instance, Wireshark*.

Best Regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello GPfei,

I would like to know if you were able to check my previous post. Were you able to collect the traces (packet capture) when reproducing the issue?

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
GPfei
Novice
I am currently travelling without access to a good performing network. I will collect the trace as soon as I can, latest by 18/12. I am sorry for the delay.
0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello GPfei,

We understand you will need some time to collect the traces. Once you have the information please feel free to post back in the thread.

Regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello GPfei,

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you were able to collect the traces? If so, please feel free to share them so we can continue checking further this behavior.

Regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos