Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

I don't know why my post is missing.

odkrys
Beginner

https://community.intel.com/t5/Wireless/5Ghz-Wi-fi-slow-down-issue-on-AC8260-laptop/td-p/1200311

I don't know why, but my post has disappeared from the list, so I leave a link here.
Any reply would be appreciated.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello odkrys,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

We understand that you are experiencing speed drops with your wireless adapter; to better assist you please provide the following information:

• What is your laptop model?
  • Were any changes made prior to this behavior?
  • How many devices are experiencing this situation?

We noticed that you tried using the Intel generic drivers. We would like to know what was the OEM driver that you tried and if that is the driver currently installed.

It’s worth mentioning that Intel drivers are generic and for general purposes. They may or may not address the connectivity issues you are having.

We recommend performing a clean install of the latest Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM). 

To gather more information about your system and perform further troubleshooting please run the following tool and attach the reports generated.  

Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) link:  

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-  

1. Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. 
  2. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".  
  3. Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  
  4. To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".  

Esteban D.  

Intel Technical Support Technician 

0 Kudos
odkrys
Beginner
  • What is your laptop model?

NT900X5M-L38S

• Were any changes made prior to this behavior?

Nothing.

• How many devices are experiencing this situation?

I have 1 android smartphone, 1 android tablet and windows 10 laptop.

The problem occurs only on laptop.

Of course, I also tested the latest Samsung OEM driver.

If I change smps setting to static smps or no smps, laptop link to 866/866mbps on initial connection.

However, the slowdown occurs frequently with no smps and occasionally with static smps.

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello odkrys,

Thank you for the additional information provided.  

For this wireless adapter, I would recommend a clean installation for the Latest Intel generic driver; as you already tested the OEM drivers with no results.

The version for the AC 8260 is the 20.70.17.1; you can find the driver in the following link.

Please follow the steps provided in the Clean Installation of Wireless Drivers for guidance.

You could also try selecting the 802.11ac mode.

Also, please check the Recommended Settings for 802.11ac Connectivity.

Can you please confirm how the computer works if connected to another network? Do you still experience the same behavior?

Esteban D. 

0 Kudos
odkrys
Beginner

I am using the lastest Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for IT Admins  21.110.1.

For ac8260, it is 20.70.18.2.

The 802.11ac mode on the link appears to be the default.

Unfortunately, besides asus rt-ac86u, other routers that I have are older that only support 2.4Ghz.
The slowdown is randomly happen, so I haven't tested it elsewhere.

It's a pity that I know that testing with other devices can make it more obvious.

The 866/433mbps link problem seems to have been definitely resolved by changing the smps configuration to no smps or static smps, and I am currently testing to turn off Microsoft's Receive segment coalescing to check for the slowdown problem.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/wifi-issues-with-creators-update/4a20ba4f-33dc-4397-9823-e12dcb2607ba

The slowdown can appear in tens of minutes, or it can be fine for a day. Please understand that it takes a long time to test each function one by one.

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Thank you for your response and information provided.  

I would like to further investigate this for you, I will update this thread as soon as possible.

Esteban D.  

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello odkrys,

Thank you for your patience. I would appreciate if you could provide the following information:

• At what point you would say that this issue start occurring?
  • Can you please confirm if this wireless adapter was installed by you or it came already installed with the laptop?
  • Is this a new laptop?
  • Also, can you please provide the website where you downloaded the OEM drivers?  

Esteban D. 

0 Kudos
odkrys
Beginner
  • At what point you would say that this issue start occurring?

I used a 6th generation laptop of the same look before this laptop.

before (i3 6100, ac8260) now (i3 7100, ac8260) 

This problem also occurred at that time.

• Can you please confirm if this wireless adapter was installed by you or it came already installed with the laptop?

The wireless adapter is soldered. It is not replaceable.

• Is this a new laptop?

No, it's secondhand.

I switched from 6th generation to 7th generation laptop because of vp9 decoding.

However, there was the same problem with the 6th generation product.

• Also, can you please provide the website where you downloaded the OEM drivers?  

The oem driver is provided through Samsung Update software. So download site is unknown.

I am suspicious of Microsoft's power saving mode.

Auto SMPS + Maximum Performance = 866/866 link, no speed drop

Static SMPS/No SMPS + Low-Power Saving/Medium Power Saving/Maximum Power Saving = 866/866 link, speed drop

Auto SMPS/Dynamic SMPS + Low-Power Saving/Medium Power Saving/Maximum Power Saving = 866/433 link, speed drop

Setting it to Maximum Performance seems to solve all the problems.
However, I would like to use the power save mode because of increased battery usage and temperature problems.

I guess there is a conflict between microsoft's power management and intel's power management.

0 Kudos
odkrys
Beginner

I am not sure it is related to do with "modern standby".
My laptop's sleep mode is turned off, and the Wi-Fi speed slowdown is mostly happened when the laptop is left idle.

When I type the powercfg -a command in cmd, it turns out that the S0 function is not supported.

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello odkrys,

Due to the facts presented in this case, I consider that this behavior could be related to the router configuration or even Microsoft* Power Management.

For further assistance on this matter I would highly recommend to check with the OEM of your router and laptop for more recommendations or even a supported configuration to improve the maximum performance and avoid this kind of behavior.

At the moment, please use the known working option.

Please check the Computer Manufacturer Support Websites and contact the appropriate support.

On our side, we consider that you would need direct assistance from them. If you have any other concern please post a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored.

Esteban D. 

0 Kudos