Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7431 Discussions

I'm wondering why my 5ghz wifi connections are not working vs. my 2.4 ghz connections?

SChan152
Beginner

Ever since I received my computer ASUS ROG GU501GM I have had wireless connection issues with 5ghz connections. I am able to connect to 2.4 ghz connections fine, but when I attempt to connect to 5ghz connections, I'm either unable to or I get extremely bad speeds. At home, my 2.4 ghz connection gets me 90 mBps while my 5ghz connection gets me 1.5 mBps. I have no issues connecting to 5ghz connections with my other laptops/devices, so it is definitely just this device.

I've attempted to install the most up to date drivers on my Intel Wireless AC adapter, as well as tried to uninstall, reinstall the drivers. None of these things worked.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

There are two antennas cables connected to the WiFi card. One antenna connected to the connector marked AUX 1 (serves WiFI 2.4 GHZ + Bluetooth) and the second antenna should be connected to the connector marked MAIN 2 (serves WiFi 5GHz) . Verify that the antennas cable are firmly connected.

Leon

0 Kudos
SChan152
Beginner

Just opened the laptop and both are firmly connected...

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User
  1. Generally,  devices on a 5 GHz network will tend to have a shorter range than those using 2.4 GHz.
  2. However if you see that while your laptop is located in the same room with router, the 5 GHz signal performance is still bad, try to choose higher channel for 5 GHz radio in router settings.

Leon

0 Kudos
SChan152
Beginner

SOLVED: I replaced the wifi card and the old wifi card's MAIN connection was fried. I cleaned off the leads and put the computer back together and it's working! Must've been some kind of manufacturing issue.

Thanks, Leon.

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Exactly what I've suspected - antenna connection. I'm glad that your WiFi works now.

Leon

0 Kudos