Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7725 Discussions

Intel 3160NGW Bluetooth Failure

faketuxedo
Beginner

Hello, my Intel 3160NGW Bluetooth features are not detected in Windows. I have tried:

• Every recommendation in this thread 
  • Every recommendation in this thread 
  • Restarting
  • Installing drivers from Device Manager and Microsoft Update Catalog
  • Disabling fast boot in BIOS and Control Panel
  • Installing official Intel Drivers (got error cannot be installed on your system)

Please inform me on how to continue.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

First of all, You need the correct driver installation packages. The package version you need is 21.10.1. This is the final version that included support for the (discontinued) 3160 Wireless adapter family. There are versions of this package Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 (i.e., there are no Windows 11 drivers). Now, as you have seen, Intel is no longer hosting these packages for download. I have copies of these packages, however. You can download them from my share (here: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AtacZBU04mo-j-tQ34BdSDv6y1BFsg?e=7gn50T).

Next, installation.

1. IMHO, disabling Fast Boot in BIOS and Windows 10 is always a good idea, but it isn't an absolute requirement for getting this adapter working.
  2. A prerequisite for installing these drivers is the installation of the Chipset Device Software (a.k.a. INF Update) package. I also recommend installing the Intel Management Engine driver package as well. Having all devices resolve in Device Manager is NOT an indication that you are good to go. The Chipset Device Software package specific to your platform is provided by your motherboard/system vendor.
  3. Install the Intel Bluetooth package and then the Wireless package.

If what you have done so far causes issues, there is a remedial process that can be used. I will save that for your report of success or failure...

...S

View solution in original post

4 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

First of all, You need the correct driver installation packages. The package version you need is 21.10.1. This is the final version that included support for the (discontinued) 3160 Wireless adapter family. There are versions of this package Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 (i.e., there are no Windows 11 drivers). Now, as you have seen, Intel is no longer hosting these packages for download. I have copies of these packages, however. You can download them from my share (here: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AtacZBU04mo-j-tQ34BdSDv6y1BFsg?e=7gn50T).

Next, installation.

1. IMHO, disabling Fast Boot in BIOS and Windows 10 is always a good idea, but it isn't an absolute requirement for getting this adapter working.
  2. A prerequisite for installing these drivers is the installation of the Chipset Device Software (a.k.a. INF Update) package. I also recommend installing the Intel Management Engine driver package as well. Having all devices resolve in Device Manager is NOT an indication that you are good to go. The Chipset Device Software package specific to your platform is provided by your motherboard/system vendor.
  3. Install the Intel Bluetooth package and then the Wireless package.

If what you have done so far causes issues, there is a remedial process that can be used. I will save that for your report of success or failure...

...S

faketuxedo
Beginner
0 Kudos
Lue_blue_2tg
Beginner

Thanks Scot. i tried everything, using the drivers from your onedrive was the only thing that worked. 

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Yea, it was problematic that they delivered Windows 10 support and WiFi 6 router compatibility in only a single release (the very last that supported the 7260/3160 adapters). Worse, the release notes never even mentioned this WiFi 6 fix. Still, it's good that they took the time to deliver these capabilities before discontinuing support.

...S

0 Kudos