Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Intel 7260 on Ubuntu with 3.11.6 kernel stops sending packets

KCalv
Beginner

I have deployed 6 of this cards at a customer site because the cards tested well in the lab. But in the field I am seeing the card hang and we quit receiving packets. This is on Ubuntu 12.04 with the 3.11.6 kernel. If I disable the interface and re-enable it, the data flows again. I see there is a later kernel available, but the change notes don't indicate that this particular problem is resolved, and don't seem to be changes in areas that would control this behavior.

We use the card in monitor mode 100% of the time, and it only receives data on the 2.4 Ghz band. 3 of the 6 cards have demonstrated the hang problem.

Anyone seen this?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Hello kerrycalvert, the support for Linux* drivers is provided by the open source community. More information available in the following article: http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-034398.htm Intel� Wi-Fi Products; Linux* support for Intel Wi-Fi Adapters.

0 Kudos
KCalv
Beginner

Yes, I know this and am looking at the driver updates in the latest kernel source, but am not seeing any fixes that seem related to this problem. And from looking at the problems that seem similar which have been reported by people running Windows8, I am thinking this is possibly a firmware bug.

Does the open source community maintain the firmware as well? I am using the latest iwlwifi-7260-7.ucode supplied by the open source community.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

I recommend checking for support here: http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/iwlwifi http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/iwlwifi

It would be interesting to know if all the adapters came from the same system manufacturer, model…

0 Kudos
KCalv
Beginner

As I stated, I am well aware of the drivers on this site, and this is where we obtain the source for our product build. I am currently testing the 7260 with the latest stable build of the kernel (3.12.1), but in reviewing the release notes there are no comments that indicate the drop out of the interface is addressed.

So if the problem is in the supplied firmware in iwlwifi-7260-7.ucode which is a binary packaging, who maintains this?

If we cannot resolve the problem shortly, we will remove the 7260 from consideration for our BOM in our product. That would be disappointing because we have seen nice wifi performance gains over our previous card.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

I understand your concern but we have to bear in mind that the support for Linux* is only provided through the channel provided above and the firmware is provided "as is" based on the license terms.

"For technical support send email to and/or."

This issue could be related to hardware integration if those are wireless adapters for laptops in which case the recommendation would be to contact the respective system manufacturer in order to get a list of validated hardware for your systems and proper means for such integration.

0 Kudos