Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7367 Discussions

Intel 7265 in Dell XPS 9343 not connecting on boot

GPoul
Novice

Hi,

On a Dell XPS 9343 with an Intel 7265 wifi card the wifi will sometimes not connect on boot. This happens about every three days for no apparent reason and there is nothing in the logs. I've attached a System Event log from one of the occurrences. The only entries are that DNS lookups fail.

The only way to resolve this when it occurs is to either reboot or to go into and out of airplane mode.

I've tested with the Dell network driver version JT9F4_WN32_18.20.0_A01 and Intel driver version 18.33.0, both show the same behavior.

How can I resolve or debug this and generate debug logs or traces that can be analyzed?

Thanks,

Gerhard

0 Kudos
17 Replies
idata
Employee

gpoul,

We understand the wireless card sometimes does not connect on boot, we would like to assist you with this situation, please provide the following information:

-Did the wireless card come installed in the system?

-What is the BIOS version in your laptop?

-According to the driver you are using, we understand this is Windows® 10, right?

-Router model and firmware version?

-Is this situation happening only in this computer? Have you tested other devices?

We will be waiting for your response.

GPoul
Novice

Hi,

thanks for your quick reply; I'll try to answer all your questions below; please let me know if more detail in some areas would be useful.

nestor_intel wrote:

We understand the wireless card sometimes does not connect on boot, we would like to assist you with this situation, please provide the following information:

-Did the wireless card come installed in the system?

yes, this XPS13 9343 was shipped from Dell with this Intel card.

-What is the BIOS version in your laptop?

The BIOS Revision is A07

-According to the driver you are using, we understand this is Windows® 10, right?

yes, this is correct

-Router model and firmware version?

The router is a cable modem from Technicolor model TC7200 U with software version STD6.02.11

-Is this situation happening only in this computer? Have you tested other devices?

Yes, but this is the only device I have with Windows and an Intel WiFi card. - Other than that we use an iPhone, an Android phone, a MacBook (with Broadcom card), and two Kindles without any visible WiFi issues on that network.

Gerhard

jbenavides
Honored Contributor II

Hello gpoul,

With the information you provided, it is not clear if this happens on cold boot, or resuming from sleep, and what is the status of the adapter and connection when the issue occurs, however, you can attempt the following actions to try and resolve this type of condition:

1. Update the driver of your Wireless adapter to Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software for Windows® 10, version 18.40.0:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25833/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-for-Windows-10 Download Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software for Windows® 10

2. Make sure you are using the http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005544.html?wapkw=intel+wi-fi+recommended+settings Recommended Settings for 802.11n Connectivity.

3. Go the Device Manager, under network adapters, look for the Intel 7265 Wireless Adapter and open the properties. Go to the "Power Management" tab and toggle Off/On the option "Allow the computer to turn off this devices to save power". Then check if the behavior changes.

4. Disable Fastboot in your Motherboard.

0 Kudos
GPoul
Novice

Hi Jonathan,

1. I have now updated the driver to 18.40.0

2. The settings were already at the ones recommended; no changes made

3. I don't have this "Power Management" tab for whatever reason.

4. I disabled Fastboot

I'll test this for a few days and let you know the results.

Thanks,

Gerhard

0 Kudos
jbenavides
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the update gpoul.

Please monitor the system for few days and let us know if the issue was resolved with the recommended actions.

0 Kudos
GPoul
Novice

Hi Jonathan,

The problem reoccurred yesterday morning. Is there any way to generate more debug data that might help figure out the root cause or find out why the "Power Management" tab is missing?

Thanks,

Gerhard
0 Kudos
jbenavides
Honored Contributor II

Hello gpoul,

The power management tab is not available in some systems depending on the power save mode supported by the PC. It is removed by the Windows* based on the specifications from your Original Computer Manufacturer (OEM).

Please apply the following actions as they can prevent issues connecting at startup.

- Disable Windows* Fast Startup. You can find steps to do this in many external websites, like the following one:

*NOTE: These links are being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

http://www.windows10update.com/2015/05/windows-10-tutorials-66-how-to-enable-or-disable-fast-startup/ http://www.windows10update.com/2015/05/windows-10-tutorials-66-how-to-enable-or-disable-fast-startup/

- Set you power plan settings for Maximum Performance of the wireless adapter. This is also done in the Power options for you active plan (or any other that you may use) - Change plan settings - Change advanced power plan settings - Wireless adapter settings, then set it to Maximum performance when plugged in and on battery.

0 Kudos
GPoul
Novice

Hello Jonathan,

I've now disabled the fast startup, but I also don't have the "wireless adapter" settings in the advanced power settings. It's just as well not there. :-(

Any other way to configure this? (I tried creating my own power plan, but that didn't change which options were available)

Gerhard

0 Kudos
jbenavides
Honored Contributor II

Hello,

The power options in Windows* may vary depending on the features of your PC, and the way it is designed by the OEM.

You could check with Dell Support (http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/oems.html Computer Manufacturer Support Websites) to get more information and assistance about this and the missing power options as well.

If possible, use a High Performance power plan and check if the issue reoccurs with Fast Startup disabled.

If the problem persists, make note of the exact task taking place at the time it does: Resuming from Sleep, System reboot, Regular boot after full shutdown, etc.

0 Kudos
GPoul
Novice

Hello Jonathan,

I've made the changes now and report back on the results.

I already talked to Dell, but without any real results. I'll try again if we don't make progress or if we figure out it's Dell's problem

Thanks so much for your help!!

Gerhard

0 Kudos
jbenavides
Honored Contributor II

Hello gpoul,

We will be waiting for the results of the last actions you applied.

0 Kudos
jbenavides
Honored Contributor II

Hello gpoul,

Please let us know if the issue was resolved, or if there has been any progress about this.

0 Kudos
GPoul
Novice

Hi Jonathan,

I still had a reminder to get back to you on Monday. Until now the problem has not reoccurred, so this looks very good.

Any additional steps you would want us to do to further debug this or produce logs?

Thanks so much for your help!

Regards,

Gerhard

0 Kudos
jbenavides
Honored Contributor II

It is good to know the issue has not reappeared, we can monitor through the weekend before considering any further actions.

Regards,

Jonathan.

0 Kudos
GPoul
Novice

Hi Jonathan,

the problem has not reappeared over the weekend.

Any additional steps you would want us to do to further debug this or produce logs?

Thanks so much for your help!

Regards,

Gerhard

0 Kudos
jbenavides
Honored Contributor II

I am glad to know your system has been working fine. We won't need new logs since the issue has not happened again.

If the condition has not reappeared after this time, we can consider it resolved with the actions already applied.

0 Kudos
GPoul
Novice

OK, thanks for your help!

0 Kudos