Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7422 Discussions

Intel 8265 ac constant high latency jitter

KYeun1
Beginner

Sorry, I have reposted the same issue of this thread, since it is closed:

I meet a similar issue of my MSI VR One Backpack PC. And I tried to follow all instructions of the above thread but the problem is still here.

For the MSI VR One, it has been minor updated on last mid yr for upgrade the wireless card from Killer 1535 to Intel 8265.

Does anyone meet the same issue?

Thanks,

Kimkind

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Kimkind,

We understand you're experiencing ping spike issues on your laptop using the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265.

It's important to note that custom wireless integration (upgrade) issues are not applicable for support. If your computer manufacturer approved the upgrade, they will be your main source for assistance.

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005687/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html Regulatory Information Regarding Wireless Hardware Installation or Upgrade

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005846/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html Why Doesn't My Laptop Recognize My New Intel® Wireless Adapter?

Since your issue is unsupported, we cannot guarantee a solution. However, I'd be more than glad to take a look at your problem and suggest troubleshooting steps. In order to do so, we would like the following information:

1. How are you measuring your wireless performance?

2. When does the issue occur?

3. Have you tested to see if the issue occurs when connected to a different network?

4. Please provide an Intel® System Support Utility report.1. Download the latest https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293 Intel® SSU.

2. While connected to your network, select to scan "everything."

3. Save and name the report.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
KYeun1
Beginner

Hi Carlos,

Thanks for your reply. First, I need to clarify the upgrade is not my customization. I purchased a dozen of machine from MSI last year for business. I found MSI did a minor upgrade on the last mid year for the wireless card. So there are 2 wireless card config of machine in my stock. One is using intel 8265, another is using killer 1535. The old version (killer 1535) do not happen the issue.

This is my answers of your questions:

1. How are you measuring your wireless performance?

The MSI VR One is a backpack PC which is specific for the VR game especially wireless VR game. When I play the game, sometimes I feel lagging. Then I tried to open the command prompt and ping to the router. I found a high latency is occurred.

2. When does the issue occur?

Around 5-10mins per time. Each time duration around 2-5 sec.

3. Have you tested to see if the issue occurs when connected to a different network?

Yes, we tried different wire channel, different router, different location and different machine.

4. Please provide an Intel® System Support Utility report.

I have attached the file.

Thanks,

Kimkind

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Kimkind,

Please bear with us while we investigate.

Could you please also share a WLAN Report:

1. Right click your start menu and select Command Prompt (Admin).

2. Enter: netsh wlan show wlanreport

3. Go to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WlanReport and locate wlan-report-latest.html

Overly simple and I don't think this will resolve your problem, but let's adjust your roaming aggressiveness to see if it affects the behavior.

1. Right click your start menu and select Device Manager.

2. Network Adapters > double click on your Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 > Advanced tab

3. Set your roaming aggressiveness to 1. Lowest, or 2. Medium Low (if you need your adapter to roam from one AP to the next, but only after link quality has degraded).

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Kimkind,

We're just checking on this thread.

Did you have the chance to capture the WLAN report on your system?

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos
KYeun1
Beginner

Hi Eugenio,

I have attached the html report.

I tried to modify some below settings, but still not work:

- Settings -> Network -> Wi-fi -> Turn off Hotspot

- Settings -> Privacy -> Location -> Trun off location service

- Device Manager -> Network Adapters -> Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 -> Properties -> Advanced

- 802.11n Channel Width for 2.4 Ghz -> 20MHz Only

- Preferred Band -> Prefer 5.2 GHz Band

- Roaming Aggressiveness -> 1. Lowest

- Wireless Mode -> 1. 802.11a

- Tested around 10 driver versions.

And I also tried another brand product beside of MSI which is also using intel 8265. There is a same issue.

Thanks,

Kimkind

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Kimkind,

Thanks for the update, please bear with us while we look into this problem.

Regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Kimkind,

Thank you for your patience.

Looking into this problem we noticed that from your original adapter to the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 is not actually an upgrade, as both adapters have identical capabilities. The main difference is that your original adapter was designed specifically for gaming while ours is designed with connectivity, roaming, and general office-type productivity in mind.

Could you please try using our latest drivers?

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005559/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html Download the Latest Driver for Your Intel® Wireless Adapter.

However, you may want to consider returning to your original adapter as that model has special features to lower latency for gaming. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000026140/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html We actually work together with Killer* to develop gaming wireless adapters.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos