Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7367 Discussions

Intel 8265AC WiFi Card Upload Speeds

idata
Employee

I recently bought a Dell XPS 13 2-1 Laptop that had the Intel 8265ac card. I had nothing but trouble getting acceptable results from the upload portion of this card. It would constantly stall out at about 20mbps. I had no problems with the download portion of this card. I would take it into the room and sit right next to the router and a couple of restarts would finally have acceptable download and upload speeds over 350mbps. I take it back out to the living room and here we go again with stalling out at about 20mbps. My 9 year old Dell XPS 16 with the 5300 agn card consistently gets around 100 mbps upload speed sitting in the same chair. I finally gave up with tech support and with a couple other issues I returned the laptop to Dell.

So, I ordered an HP Spectra 15 that had the same card in it. And guess what, it does the exact same thing. The only difference is that I don't have to restart this laptop when I am close to the router to get acceptable download and upload speeds. They are exactly what they should be, in fact the upload speeds are even faster, 400+. Again, I have no problems with the download portion of this card. I go back to the same chair in the living room, and it stalls out at about 20mbps. What in the world is going on with this card. Both brand new laptops doing the exact same thing. My other devices don't do this. They are pretty consistent throughout the house. Is this card flawed or what. I read up on different things to do in the adapter advanced option, but nothing really fixes this. I can't believe that my old 5300 agn card is better with uploading speeds than this new ac card. I have At&t fiber optic with 1GB internet speeds. I'm fully aware of roaming speeds throughout the house but this is ridiculous. I'm not going to send the HP back because of this same thing. I do have very acceptable download speeds, and just wish the upload portion was the same. So, anyone have any thoughts on this.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello TKD01,

There are different reasons why your PC may get a low wireless speed. Here are some initial actions for your consideration:

- Try disabling Bluetooth in your PC and check if it helps. This is normally done with a hardware switch, a key combination, or it can be done from Windows* settings.

- Make sure that the Operating System has any applicable system updates.

- Contact the manufacturer of the Access Point and make sure it is using the latest firmware available for it.

For further assistance, please provide the following information:

- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Download Intel® System Support Utility, run the tool and use it to create a report with all sections, once the report is created, click on the "Next" button. In the following screen, save the report to a file. Then use the Advanced editor options of the communities to add the resulting file to your post as an attachment. Please obtain one log with the connection working fine (close to the access point), and a second log in the location where you have the connectivity issue.

- Access point model and firmware version. Do you use multiple WiFi access points in your house?

- How far is the living room from the AP? Are there many walls, metal structures or power lines between them?

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have disabled Bluetooth.

Operating System is Up to Date.

Recently checked with AT&T for possible issues. None detected. Have Pace 5268AC router with software 10.5.3.527171-att

This is the only access point for the house. Report 1 is about 8 feet from router. Report 2 is about 40 feet to living room going from router through wall through kitchen to living room.

Today download and upload speeds are all over the place. My old Dell laptop is still consistent with about 130mbps download and 100mbps upload speeds. My new HP struggled to get 31 download and 1.16 upload. Normally the downloads are about 200+mbps and upload about 20mbps in the living room. Unusual today. I normally don't have issues with download speeds anywhere. I was getting 449mbps down and 112mbps up at 8 feet from router today. Usually they are pretty close over 400mbps each. from 8 feet away. So, I guess this is what this card does. Not very consistent and all over the place.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello TKD01,

Please apply the following actions as they can improve wireless connectivity.

- Perform a clean installation of the wireless driver by following these steps:

1. As first option, we advise to use the driver obtained from the https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/OEMs.html Computer Manufacturer Support, if the issue persists you can try the generic version of https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26924/Wireless-Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-10-?product=94150 Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows® 10 [19.70.0]

2. Go to Control Panel, Programs and Features and Uninstall "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software", if it is installed. When prompted, choose the option to "Discard settings".

3. In Control Panel, Device Manager, Network Adapters, right click on the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 and Uninstall it. Make sure you mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device".

4. Reboot the PC or scan for hardware changes, check device manager and if an older wireless driver is detected and installed, repeat the actions to uninstall and delete it as well. Repeat this process until the OS does not allow deleting the driver, or until the controller shows as Unknown Device.

5. Remove temporary files: Press the Windows Key + R to open the run box. Type Cleanmgr.exe. Press OK. Select the main drive, usually C:\. Check Temporary Files and uncheck everything else. Press OK.

6. Install the Intel Wireless driver. During the first steps of PROSet/Wireless installation, make sure to customize the installation and install all driver components.

- Go to the Power options of your laptop, in the Advanced Settings for your Power Plan, and make sure that the Wireless Adapter is set to work at "Maximum Performance" when plugged in and on battery.

- Enter the Advanced https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005585.html Intel® Wireless Adapter Settings and set U-APSD support: Enabled. If the issue persist, feel free to set it back to disabled.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello TKD01,

Please let us know if there was an improvement after the recommended actions, or in case you have any further questions.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Nothing really helped. Number 4 of the instructions were confusing as every time I uninstall the drivers it just puts the same ones back. I did everything else but the laptop just does the same thing all the time. It's great when rebooting in front of the router both download and upload but after roaming and putting the laptop to sleep it just stalls out at about 17 or so Mbps upload. This even happens now when I go back into the room with the router until I reboot. It is funny as when I do the speed test it is like the upload speed just runs into a brick wall, jumps around trying to go but can't, and just stalls out. I give up and just will have to live with it I guess. The download speeds are acceptable for WiFi, I guess. Since this happened the same way with my Dell laptop that I sent back, and now this one, I can only think the card is not good, or the AT&T modem/router doesn't like the AC cards. I get a good upload speed from my N card. It is also funny that I have a much better signal with my old N card then my new HP AC card sitting in the same spot away from the router. Also, uninstalling the Intel Proset/Wireless and reinstalling didn't seem to do anything. Went back to the HP provided drivers. Thanks anyway.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello TKD01,

We are sorry to hear the issue persists after our recommendations. Regarding the step 4, those would be the inbox drivers from Windows* that cannot be deleted, so at that point you would be able to install the new ones.

In this case, you may also contact the https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/OEMs.html Computer Manufacturer Support, since we have tried different actions from the side of drivers and configuration. The OEM can provide custom drivers and additional recommendations.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos