Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7367 Discussions

Intel 8265AC connectivity problems

Jesus_Pavon
Beginner

I'm suffering connectivity issues since some time with three differeent 8265AC adapters (Lenovo, Asus and Dell laptops).

When trying to associatte to a SSID with PEAP security, I reciove an error "Unable to connect".

"netsh wlan show wlanreport" shows error 8002 "Failure Reason:The driver disconnected while associating."

At the same time, I try to connect to a SSID with WPA2-PSK and it also fails, this time with error 11006 "Reason: Dynamic key exchange did not succeed within configured time" and 8002 "Failure Reason:The specific network is not available."

When I stop manual retries, and after some time, the wNIC connects automatically.

It doesn't happen all the time, and this is not because any problem in the AP because there are other devices connected and working properly at that very same time.

If needed, I can provide captures and logs.

Adapter: Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265

Driver version: Intel Proset 21.80 (20.70.16.4)

O.S. Windows 10 1909 (build 18363.778)

Regards.

Jesus

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel

nejepavon, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

What is the model of the motherboard?

If this is a laptop, what is the model of it?

What is the model of the Router/AP?

Is this a new computer?

Was it working fine before?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes?

The wireless card, did you purchased it separately or did it came installed in the computer?

When did the issue start?

Did you check with your Internet service provider to make sure the Internet is working properly?

Does the problem happen at home or work environment?

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
Jesus_Pavon
Beginner
Hi Albert, Please let me answer all your questions: - What is the model of the motherboard? HP, Lenovo, Dell and Asus motherboards - If this is a laptop, what is the model of it? They are all laptops - Is this a new computer? No they are not - Was it working fine before? Yes they were working fine until a few months - Did you make any recent hardware/software changes? Software change only, Windows 10 updates and latest Intel drivers 21.80 - The wireless card, did you purchased it separately or did it came installed in the computer? They are integrated in the laptop. Only for the HP, I bought an Intel AX200 wNIC and then installed by myself half a year ago. - When did the issue start? The issues started after upgrading to the latest Intel drivers, but after that there have been some minor Windows 10 update as well. - Did you check with your Internet service provider to make sure the Internet is working properly? The issues has nothing to do with the ISP as the connectivity problem is local. I'm using an independent Cisco AP at the home office and not the integrated in the ISP router - Does the problem happen at home or work environment? This is a home office with shared access to standard home. The connectivity issues are recurrent. Please download a WLAN report from one of the Windows 10 devices with all of the failures with "_Wlan" SSID and also "Telemedia", and then, finally, the connection to "_Wlan" SSID: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1repFRq-13kjrjUjoiRV0sylx72ctALDj/view?usp=sharing Hope it helps. Please do not hesitate to ask me for any other capture, it is relatively easy to reproduce the issue. Regards.
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

nejepavon, Thank you very much for providing that information.

We recommend to install the Wireless driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was customized by them work with your specific platform.

For us to be able provide the proper assistance, we actually need the specific model of the laptops that are showing this issue, since we might need to test the Wireless drivers provided by the manufacturer of them, please provide the model of them.

Same thing with the HP laptop, the one where you install the Intel® Wireless card half a year ago, there could be a compatibility problem between the laptop and the Wireless card, there are a lot of thing to consider for this scenario, including drivers, antennas, PCIe adapter, the Intel® Wirelee cars itself plus the regolatory information when you do a Wirless card integration as in this case:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005846/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005687/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html

Do you have the option to test the laptops with another Router/Access Point or in a different network?

Are you using a VPN connection?

If you disconnect all the Wirless Devices from the Router and test just one laptop at the time, is the problem the same?

How many units are affected?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Jesus_Pavon
Beginner
Thank you very much for the recommendation to install manufacturer drivers, but this seems not to be the case, as I've been worling with Intel drivers since the very beginning and I've never had such problem. In regards of the use of a different access point, yes, I have tested it with an Aerohive one and the problem is there as well. Regarding VPN, no I'm not using it on those machines. One question, ¿why Intel release drivers for wNICs and then recommends the use of the manufacturer's one? Regards.
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

nejepavon, You are welcome, thank you very much for letting us know those details.

In reference to your question, the Intel® Graphics drivers are generic, meaning the might or might not work with your platform. The reason why those Wireless drivers are available is because sometimes they actually work on 3rd party systems and also they are needed for when you are using an Intel® product, like for example Intel® NUC Kits.

So, please provide the specific model of the laptops so we can further assist you and to test the Wireless drivers provided by the manufacturer of them since that driver is heavily customized to use all the features and functions that the laptop provides.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Jesus_Pavon
Beginner
Hi Albert, I have reinstalled the Lenovo drivers in one of the devices to test it. They match Intel PROset 21.70 and looking forward to do some tests tomorrow to look to reproduce the issue. Meanwhile, if you need it I have OTA packet captures, Cisco WLC captures and Windows traces of the last error (2 days ago). It seems that the laptop is not able to connect to the WPA2-Ent SSID. After many unsucessfull retries, I tried to connect to another WPA2-PSK SSID without sucess. But suddenly, after that try, the device started to connect automatically to the WPA2-Enterpirse SSID again, now sucessfully. The Windows traces return some weird erros aboout unsupported RSN. Regards
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hi nejepavon, Thank you very much for sharing those results.

Perfect, excellent, it is great to hear that now the device started to connect automatically to the WPA2-Enterpirse SSID again, now successfully.

Please monitor the behavior of the Wireless connection for a couple of days and let us know if it is still stable or if the problem remains.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello nejepavon, I just wanted to check if the problem with the Wireless connection got fixed and if you need further assistance on this mater?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Jesus_Pavon
Beginner
Hi Albert, The problem is still there, even using manufacturer drivers. So I have updated to the latest Intel drivers 21.90 last weekend. It seems to work better so far today. So if this is the case, I suspect of an Intel/Microsoft integration problem solved. Could we monitor it for a whole week please? Regards Jesus Pavon mobile | WLAN Engineer | +34 605619880
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

nejepavon, Thank you very much for providing those updates.

Perfect, excellent, it is great to hear that the problem with the Wireless connection seems to be fixed and now it is working properly.

Sure, please monitor the behavior of the laptop, we will keep the ticket open for the whole week, hopefully, there will be no more problems with it.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello nejepavon, I just wanted to check if the problem with the Wireless connection got fixed and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Jesus_Pavon
Beginner
Good afternoon Albert. Good news is that after installing Intel PROSet 21.90 all the issues stopped. That's what I told you before, I had been suffering that disconnection issue for some moths, and that was because drivers for Intel 8265 in 21.70 and 21.80 were basically the same. It was clearly some integration issue. Thanks for your support. Jesus
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

nejepavon, Thank you very much for sharing that information.

Perfect, excellent, it is great to hear that the Wireless connection problem got fixed by installing Intel® Wireless driver 21.90 and now it is working properly.

Any other inquiries, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos