Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7365 Discussions

(Intel 9260) My WiFi just randomly disconnects and I am wondering what could cause this. Any help is appreciated.

JBran20
Novice

I have the Intel 9260 and the WiFi just cuts out randomly and says Connected, no internet. I have tried all I could to fix this myself. Reinstalling drivers and messing around with WiFi settings. I have disabled the option where my PC can turn off the WiFi device to save power but that didn't help as well. Everything I have tried just didn't seem to work, recently it has just gotten worse and more frequent. I have done a report in advance to see if that will help speed things up to help find a cause to why this happens.

10 Replies
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello JBran20, 

Thank you for posting on this Intel Community.

According to the product specification, your motherboard did not come with the Intel® Wireless-AC 9260 preinstalled. For this reason, connectivity issues may occur due to hardware or software compatibility dependencies.

For more information on this issue, please refer to the Regulatory Information Regarding Wireless Hardware Installation or Upgrade

To address this issue, we recommend following these steps:

1. Are you receiving any error/warning messages in Device Manager?

2. You are running BIOS 3.31. Updating the BIOS firmware may address this problem. However, you need to contact your motherboard manufacturer to obtain more information and step-by-step instructions to correctly update the BIOS.

Note: This link is being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

3. Perform a clean installation of both the Bluetooth and Wi-Fi drivers.

Wi-Fi Drivers

Intel® Wireless Bluetooth*

4. If the problem persist, try restarting/resetting your router/AP. Also, make sure the devices are running the latest firmware update available.

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

JBran20
Novice

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. Sadly everything that you said to do I have already done and nothing worked.

I should of put a bit more information and said the 9260 was installed by me on a custom made PC.

It was working fine for half of the year but decided to randomly just start disconnecting yet it would be fine when I reconnect it but eventually it would just disconnect again.

The BIOS is actually pretty easy to update and I have already done that before so I can easily do it again so thanks for pointing that out.

As for the errors, I do not get any errors or warning messages, everything tells me that the device is working fine and perfect yet it just likes to disconnect randomly which tells me there is definitely a issue.

Is their possibly a better way to do some diagnostics on this 9260 that will give better information?

Also for the BIOS due to me having a Pinnacle Ridge Ryzen, ASRock doesn't recommend I update to the latest BIOS which is 3.50. The one above my version I can update to is 3.40 which I will give a shot.

Wanner_G_Intel

Hello JBran20,

Thank you for your response.

Please update the BIOS firmware as recommended by your motherboard manufacturer. Please let us know if the issue persists after the BIOS update. We will be glad to continue troubleshooting this problem.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
JBran20
Novice

Hello,

Sadly the BIOS update didn't fix the problem and it still persists. I wanted to wait a while and it just disconnected yet again.

If we can troubleshoot this further that would be great. Thank you!

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello JBran20,

Thank you for the update.

Please find below some recommendations that may help you fix this issue:

1. Are you able to test your computer on other networks? Does other devices show this behavior as well?

2. Try using a different frequency band. 

If using 2.4 GHz band, use only channels 1, 6, or 11.

If using the 5 GHz band, use channels 36, 40, 44, or 48 - Recommended Settings for 802.11ac Connectivity

3. If you keep getting limited connectivity even when you are running the latest Windows updates, and drivers for the Intel® Wireless card, this could mean that the adapter/connectors may be faulty.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello JBran20,

Were you able to follow the recommendations provided?

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello JBran20,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance, please post a new question.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
CrystalJag
Novice

If anyone runs into this issue, I experienced the same and it seems to be resolved by setting MIMO Power Save to "No SMPS" in Advanced driver settings.

From https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005585/network-and-i-o/wireless.html:

MIMO power save mode

MIMO power save mode, also known as spatial multiplexing power save (SMPS) mode, allows the client to save power by keeping one antenna in a receive idle state.

• Auto SMPS (default): The client decides automatically what SMPS mode to apply depends on different conditions.
  • Dynamic SMPS: The client keeps only one antenna active. The access point (AP) must send request to send (RTS) packet to trigger the client to wake the sleeping radios/antenna before sending MIMO packets.
  • Static SMPS: The client keeps only one antenna active and the AP cannot send MIMO packets to the client.
  • No SMPS: The client always keeps all antennas active and the AP can send MIMO packets to the client.
Note Some legacy APs may have compatibility issue with supporting the SMPS mode and may cause various link quality problems such as low throughput. Change this setting to No SMPS may help to work around the issue
ZigmaS
Beginner

Hi,
I'm also having the same problem with the same adapter.

I've tried some of the solutions here (Updated drivers, updated bios and windows) didn't try the downgrade tho...

MIMO Is off, and I've changed some of the channel bands but to no avail.

@Wanner_G_Intel Is there anything else I can do to solve this? Right now, it seems is being very frequent. I've another computer that's working flawlessly with the same internet connection, and it seems this happens on other networks to.

@JBran20 did you solved your problem? Any tips there?

SSU scan attached,

Appreciate the help.

0 Kudos