Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Intel 9260 wifi Windows 10 32bit

stevelnancyl
Beginner

I'm replacing AC7265 wireless card with a Intel 9260 wireless card.  Running windows 10 - 32bit.  Intel states windows 10 drivers only work for 64bit version of windows.  Has anyone used other 32bit drivers for the Intel 9260 wireless card?  Intel Proset 32bit runs and installs but no valid drivers for the Intel 9260 wireless card.  Any info is appreciated!  Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DeividA_Intel

Hello stevelnancy,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I am sorry to know that you are having issues with your Intel® Wireless-AC 9260.   

I would like to let you know that if you replace the original wireless adapter, the new one may not work properly since the unit was built to work with the original components. I recommend you to check with the computer manufacturer to confirm that is compatible with the BIOS and drivers. However, in order to better assist you, please provide the following:  

1. Are you using a laptop or desktop computer?

2. Why are you interested to use the 32-bit version and not the 64-bit version? The driver must be compatible with the operating system, otherwise, it won't work.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
stevelnancyl
Beginner

Deivid A.,

My Windows 10 machine is a Dell Vostro Laptop.  It is an older laptop that only supports 4 Gig of Ram.  When it was upgraded from Windows 7, the option for installation was Windows 10 - 32 bit or Windows 10 - 64 bit.  Windows 10 - 32 bit was chosen because of the memory restriction.   

The Vostro BIOS recognizes the new Intel Wireless Card (9260) when it is inserted.  After Windows 10 - 32bit loads my Device Manager shows the 9260 Wireless Card as a Network Controller that has an error and is not recognized by Windows 10.  Here is the error looking at the Device Manager/Device Status. 

• The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)
  • There are no compatible drivers for this device.
  • To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver.

No drivers are found when selecting Update Driver.

I am looking for a 32 bit driver because in the current configuration, 64 bit programs will not run.  The current AC7265 has been having problems and the Send/Receive bit rates constantly degrading to a point where the laptop is unusable.  The only way that I have found to correct is to physically remove the AC7265, boot up Windows, shut down Windows, re-install the AC7265 card, and start up Windows 10 again.  This provides connectivity for a few days and then speed degradation starts and the whole cycle starts over again.

I have read very good reviews about the 9260 wireless card.  Unfortunately none of  the reviews I read stated that you must have a 64 bit Windows operating system to use this card.  Windows 10 - 32bit operating system was a viable product for many years and I'm hoping that there may be some way to make this card functional in a 32bit environment.   

Thank you for your reply. 

Regards, 

Steve

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello stevelnancy, 

Thanks for the confirmation. I would like to let you know that you have a highly customized system, bear in mind that the manufacturer has to confirm ant the replacement/upgrade must be supported by the BIOS and drivers.

Based on your response, please try the following:

1. Perform a clean installation of the 32-bit driver's version:

2. If this driver did not help, you must go with Dell to confirm that they support this adapter and provide you with the drivers and firmware.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos