Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Intel AC-7260 (HMW) Code 10

DoyleChris98
Novice

I purchased a Intel AC-7260HMW from Amazon to replace my old N-7260 in my Dell Inspirion 15r 5537.

I removed the old card, installed the new one, and restarted windows 10 and installed the new drivers but I get this error.

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

{Operation Failed}
The requested operation was unsuccessful.

So I removed the device (from the Device Manager) plus all the drivers for the old card and new.  Restarted windows, shutdown windows reinstalled card, restarted windows and reinstalled drivers but still no go on the network. Reinstalled the old card and that one runs fine.

But the bluetooth works just fine on the new card, my headset connected with no problems.

I'm going to try and update the BIOS tonight and see if there is any settings i need to change in it.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

What drivers are you attempting to use with this card?

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello DoyleChris98, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

I would like to let you know that the installation or use of Intel® Wireless Adapters is subject to country-specific legal regulations. A wireless adapter installed in a system that is being sold on the market doesn't necessarily mean that same wireless adapter can be used or installed in any other systems for the above mentioned reason. As each country may have different regulatory requirements, before you install/change the wireless adapter in a system, you must contact the system manufacturer (OEM) to determine if the wireless adapter you plan to install is approved for use in your system and country. You are required to follow the OEM's post-approval requirements. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005687/network-and-i-o/wireless.html 

Based on the above and what you report, this seems to be a compatibility issue between your system and the wireless card, however, you may want to try the following steps to fix a the code 10 issues: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000031150/network-and-i-o/wireless.html

1. Try a clean installation of the wireless drivers (Bluetooth and Wi-Fi):  

2. Perform a cold reboot (hold the power button until the PC powers off). 

3. For laptops, reseat the battery if possible (remove and reinstall). Refer to your OEM for guidance. 

4. Try a hard shut down (shut down and remove power and battery from device), wait for a couple of minutes and turn on the PC. 

5. Load BIOS defaults. Refer to your OEM for guidance on settings/updates. 

In the end, if the above does not work, you should check with your OEM since most likely your system is not compatible with this wireless card.  

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello DoyleChris98,  

Were you able to check the previous post and follow our recommendations? Please let me know if you need more assistance.   

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
DoyleChris98
Novice

I did all those steps while I was installing it the first time.

There is a BIOS update for my computer which i have not been able to do yet, but that is my next step.

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello DoyleChris98,   

Thank you for your reply. 

In that case, since you have already tried our recommendations; if the BIOS update does not fix the issue, chances are that you have a hardware problem. 

Based on that, you should check with your OEM as the wireless card can just not be compatible with your system. Also, it is possible that the wireless card came defective out of the box, so you can also check with the reseller for any warranty options.  

Regards,   

Sebastian M   

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello DoyleChris98,  

Were you able to check the previous post and follow our recommendations? Please let me know if you need more assistance.   

Regards,  

Sebastian M 

0 Kudos
DoyleChris98
Novice

I have not, I haven't had much time to do anything with 2 boys running around.  I did the BIOS update and i am trying the card again this week.

For reference I am a computer technician, and have been building and upgrading computers for 20 years.

As for the card not working, the pins on the card match the old card that was in the laptop to begin with.  Also as previously posted the Bluetooth portion of the card works but not the Network portion of it.  Other people from the Dell community have updated there old N cards to AC cards in there Dells and had no problems, so my guess of it not being compatible isn't my first thought. 

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello DoyleChris98,   

Thank you for the update. 

Another step that you can try is the driver provided by Dell* as it may have the customizations you need to work with this PC, check here under Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 7260 Driver: https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/inspiron-15r-5537/drivers  

Please keep in mind that even though the card fits, the compatibility also depends on other factors like the motherboard, the antennas, BIOS, etc.  

That is why you should check with Dell* so they can guide you with the integration of this wirelss card to make sure it is properly installed. 

On the other hand, it can be that the wireless card is defective out of the box as you mentioned that it does not work since first installed. You may want to consider asking for a warranty replacement with the reseller.  

Regards,   

Sebastian M  

Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel or any of its products is implied.  

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello DoyleChris98,  

By any chance, do you have an update on this? I am just wondering if you need further assistance.   

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello DoyleChris98,  

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance or if you have additional questions, please create a new thread and we will gladly assist you.  

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos