Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7488 Discussions

Intel AC7260 limited access after sleep

MZ4
Novice

Hello,

I have Intel AC7260 and there is a problem: after every wake from sleep mode i have limited access and no connection to the Internet. I can't ping router and any device in the network... Sometimes helps to reconnect but most often I need to reboot :/ Can someone help me please?

431 Replies
SBo1
Novice

Yep , plz respond if it solved the problem , then we can point Intel where to fix the bug.

0 Kudos
PVent1
Beginner

I checked my adapter settings and UAPSD support was already disabled, yet I still have the issue that it won't connect to AP after resuming.

0 Kudos
SBo1
Novice

Hey Kevin , with 17.0.5 driver i had packet drops and other problems described here right out of the box once i installed the driver and untill i turn off U-APSD i wasnt able to push it to work as intended. After i installed this updated 17.0.6 driver i dont have any problems at all, even with UAPSD enabled. Tested notebook for about 1 hr on 2 different N routers, so far so good. Speed seems to be the same , no sleep , no connection loss, no packet losses. Ill update my experience here after few days of testing.

0 Kudos
PVent1
Beginner

Thanks Kevin - I installed the latest driver you posted (17.0.6.1) and forced a sleep and resume.

Happy to report that it came back online no issues!

Will post back tomorrow again on status.

0 Kudos
CDurs
Novice

lgtm too so far. I'm slightly optimistic that you finally resolved that nasty bug

Thanks Kevin for your support!

0 Kudos
SWard3
Beginner

This is good news.

Is there a change log for this driver? Does anyone know if any other issues were addressed with this release?

0 Kudos
CDurs
Novice

Euphoria only lasted for a few hours. It's back to "Attempting to authenticate" again (I did have limited access connectivity issues earlier today already, too)

0 Kudos
BLaut
Beginner

I agree with ItNoWorky - a changelog would be interesting to look at. Thanks to a suggestion from another thread, I found that disabling U-APSD cured my issue, and that was with the 17.0.3 driver and now the 17.0.5.8 (the last being released from Lenovo as I have a ThinkPad T520) driver as well. Throughput is good, pings fine, no mysterious disappearing of 5Ghz networks, and it reconnects after sleep 98% of the time. When it doesn't, disabling and reenabling the NIC in Device Manager restores the connection every time.

Hence I'd be leary to change now short of a compelling changelog.

0 Kudos
MNich3
Novice

Kevin,

It looks like switching between SSIDs during sleep (going from home to work or vice versa) needs a NIC refresh.

0 Kudos
PVent1
Beginner

Update on my side after 3 days:

I still get issues with wakeup from sleep. Pretty sure like Mathew says - sleep, wakeup at different SSID and you have to restart.

So this latest driver does not fix the issue completely.

0 Kudos
RShiv2
Beginner

I have actually reproduced the problem even on the same SSID. I will double check to verify later on (I have two SSIDs at home, so it is possible it switched between them due to some random network event), and I can definitely reproduce the sleep -> switch SSIDs -> wake issue myself.

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Thank you all for the feedback. We are still working to address other issues but we are happy to hear the issue after sleep has been fixed.

I will keep you updated with new driver releases.

Kevin M

0 Kudos
RShiv2
Beginner

If it helps, I have errors in my event log after each of these events now. All from the WLAN-AutoConfig.

WLAN Extensibility Module has stopped unexpectedly.

Module Path: C:\Windows\System32\IWMSSvc.dll

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I suspect that the issue has not been fixed - at least not for an AC 3160 on Windows 8.1 (fully up-to-date) and the driver version "17.0.6.1" from "2014-07-08" (Windows device manager). I am assuming that the AC 3160 driver shares a code base with the AC 7260.

Rough pattern (just an hour ago):

* use system on 5G WiFi with SSID Location_A (at location A) - only one BSSID

* close laptop lid -> (deep) sleep ("Kernel power" event log entry)

* two hours later, system wakes up: Wake Source: S4 Doze to Hibernate

* ... and goes to sleep (Sleep Reason: Hibernate from Sleep)

... the night passes ...

* move from location A to location B with SSID Location_B - open network, three BSSID on 5G

* open laptop lid -> wakeup

* Windows is booting from hibernation

* WiFi comes up successfully (apparently)

* Windows applies Windows Defender updates

* the system enters sleep (Sleep Reason: System Idle)

* three minutes later, resume from sleep (press power key)

* Process C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\Teco\TecoService.exe (process ID:1360) reset policy scheme from {381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e} to {381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e}

* Process C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\Teco\TecoService.exe (process ID:1360) reset policy scheme from {381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e} to {381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e}

(yes, twice in a row and apparently real from a policy scheme to the same policy scheme)

--> WiFi dead - not associated any more

Disabling and reenabling the AC3160 device in Windows Device Manager immediately resurrects everything. (Have a PowerShell script ready that I will use next time to accomplish this)

The device is configured such that:

* prefer 5G networks

* U-APSD support off

The rest is at defaults (as far as I remember)

Bluetooth keeps working all the time (Microsoft ARC Touch Mouse Surface Edition - Bluetooth 4.0)

I am happy to provide additional input upon encountering this the next time - please provide guidance for the exact steps.

0 Kudos
BB4
New Contributor II

kevin_intel wrote:

Thank you all for the feedback. We are still working to address other issues but we are happy to hear the issue after sleep has been fixed.

I will keep you updated with new driver releases.

Kevin M

It doesn't appear to be fixed.

0 Kudos
SBo1
Novice

Ok , heres small update . I have much less discussed problems but few still remains .

1. Wake up under different SSID is tricky sometimes , success rate is around 7\10, if its not connects then i just need to click my network and click connect , no need to turn off - on my wlan

2. With U-APSD enabled i have speed problems with some routers , speed is capped around 8-10 mbit and 40-50 on same router with U-APSD disabled

On previous drivers my 7260 been absolutely unusable on any router with U-APSD enabled , loss of packets , speed around 0.1 -1 mbit , DNS not responding and so on.

0 Kudos
SBo1
Novice

Hey Intel guys , dont you have 7260 card to test for all mentioned issues ?? lol )

0 Kudos
CDurs
Novice

@kevin_intel I'm back to the Microsoft driver mentioned earlier.

I just experienced serious connection issues that were not fixable - neither by restarting the computer nor by disabling/enabling the device.

Hope you're really working on improving this. It's almost embarrassing...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Just for reference - I got the same problem again, this time isolated to location A (on 5G), after waking up from hibernation.

To repair the stuck state, executing some PowerShell commands (see below) was enough to get the driver out of what appears to be a stuck state.

(The Disable-Device, Enable-Device cmdlets were downloaded from http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Device-Management-7fad2388 TechNet Device Management PowerShell Cmdlets)

Note, BTW, that the driver itself seems to report that it is in a healthy state.

PS C:\Windows\system32> Get-Device | Where-Object -Property Name -like "Intel*Dual Band Wireless*"

Name : Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160

Capabilities : 0

ConfigurationFlags : 0

InstallState : InstallStateInstalled

NumaNode : 0

UINumber : 0

Characteristics : 0

Manufacturer :

HardwareIds : {PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_08B3&SUBSYS_81708086&REV_83, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_08B3&SUBSYS_81708086,

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_08B3&CC_028000, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_08B3&CC_0280...}

LocationPaths : {PCIROOT(0)# PCI(1C02)# PCI(0000), ACPI(_SB_)# ACPI(PCI0)# ACPI(RP03)# ACPI(PXSX), , }

DriverVersion : 17.0.6.1

DriverProvider : Intel

DriverDescription : Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160

LocationInfo : PCI bus 2, device 0, function 0

InstanceId : PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_08B3&SUBSYS_81708086&REV_83\4&13C7D2&0&00E2

Service : NETwNb64

DeviceParent : PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9C14&SUBSYS_00011179&REV_E4\3&11583659&1&E2

DeviceSiblings :

IsPresent : True

HasProblem : False

AvailableProperties : {[DEVPKEY_NAME, Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160 ], [DEVPKEY_Device_DeviceDesc, Intel(R) Dual

Band Wireless-AC 3160 ], [DEVPKEY_Device_HardwareIds, System.String[]],

[DEVPKEY_Device_CompatibleIds, System.String[]]...}

PS C:\Windows\system32> Get-Device | Where-Object -Property Name -like "Intel*Dual Band Wireless*" | Disable-Device

Device Disabled

PS C:\Windows\system32> Get-Device | Where-Object -Property Name -like "Intel*Dual Band Wireless*" | Enable-Device

Device Enabled

PS C:\Windows\system32>

0 Kudos
MNich3
Novice

Reboot after you've uninstalled 17.0.5 and installed 17.0.6.1 (provided by Kevin.)

After I uninstalled the old driver and installed the new driver, I put the PC to sleep and resumed. Couldn't connect. I was disappointed.

After I rebooted, I've put the PC to sleep and resumed approximately 10x with no issue!

Thank you Kevin!