Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7646 Discussions

Intel AC7260 limited access after sleep

MZ4
Novice

Hello,

I have Intel AC7260 and there is a problem: after every wake from sleep mode i have limited access and no connection to the Internet. I can't ping router and any device in the network... Sometimes helps to reconnect but most often I need to reboot :/ Can someone help me please?

431 Replies
DTonk
Novice

To follow up on my post from the 19th... since installing the 17.12.0.4 drivers, I have not experienced any connectivity issues.

This is compared with the latest available Intel.com drivers, where I experience no connection whatsoever upon waking 80% of the time, "Limited Access" on waking a further 10% of the time, and other frequent issues once or twice a day with the connection dying or becoming horribly slow after anywhere from 30-120 minutes.

Basically... 17.12.0.4 is working. So why did I have to download an illegitimate package to actually get them?

0 Kudos
BB4
New Contributor II
0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

We need to confirmation from some of you to determine if the issue occurs while the option "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is disabled or enabled.

Kindly provide the wireless driver version and if any issue is found with the adapter in device manager after sleep.

0 Kudos
CSayr
Novice

joe_intel:

With that option disabled the network driver was constantly crashing and I couldn't do anything. With it enabled I was having wake from sleep issues with the card but I resolved with new drivers and altering settings on my router. I've never had my laptop work right with that setting disabled, I always need to allow it to turn off the device. I'm not having any further connectivity issues I don't believe and that option is ENABLED.

SHaig
Novice

joe_intel - I use the drivers I extracted from the OEM package here: https://www.crc.id.au/files/Intel%20AC-7260%20v17.12.0.4.exe https://www.crc.id.au/files/Intel%20AC-7260%20v17.12.0.4.exe

It is version 17.12.0.4.

The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 15 and all settings are default - being the power saving turned ON. With this configuration, I have not had a single failure using Windows 7 x64.

As far as I am concerned, this matter is resolved using these drivers.

MS11
Novice

Currently on 17.1.0 (and on 17.12.0.4 and 17.12.0.5 which I know arent official) the issue is cleared up with the option ENABLED (checked in the device manager).

Previously on all versions of 17.x (that I've tried) the device would fail after coming out of sleep with a yellow exclamation point in the device manager if the option was DISABLED (unchecked), windows throwing an Code 43 in the log::

Code 43: Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems

Windows 8 Pro 64bit

BB4
New Contributor II

I'm using 16.6 on Windows 7 64 because it has never failed to wake up the card. The power saving option is enabled. If I disable that setting, the card is offline after sleep and requires a disable/enable to get it back online.

I tried all of the v 17 drivers up to 17.1 and they have sporadically failed to wake. Because of that, I have rolled back to 16.6 after each tryout, as 16.6 has been rock solid.

I have not tried 17.12 versions. I'll wait for the Admin set to show up on your downloads link and try it then.

0 Kudos
SMoss
Novice

Joe_Intel

Driver version 17.1.0.19. Dell M3800 Win 8.1 64bit. Power Management - Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power is checked On.

U-APSD is enabled. I am still seeing the 7260AC has limited access after sleep. Also from a fresh boot. Have to re-boot or device disable/enable to get connection. This has been working fine for couple of weeks, but started with the limited access again 2 days ago for no apparent reason.

Reliability and speed is better after installing new AC Routers at home and office.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Steveweree, I would suggest you getting the latest driver (17.12) from the http://www.intel.com/support/oems.htm system manufacturer's website and share your results.

0 Kudos
FAger
Beginner

I tried these drivers " https://www.crc.id.au/files/Intel%20AC-7260%20v17.12.0.4.exe https://www.crc.id.au/files/Intel%20AC-7260%20v17.12.0.4.exe" . First I had some problems with the drivers not installing. Doing it manually by

1) Uninstall the network card in device driver

2) manually copy the files to c:\windows\system32\drivers in a command prompt with admin rights

3) right click in device driver and check for hardware changes

4) manually check that the driver version has changed

After that i have successfully installed the 17.12.0.4 drivers and the problem in my computer has gone. When returning from sleep the wireless network is up.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

update:

under all versions of the adapter driver, many laptops freeze intermitted.

none of the versions fix the default gateway error after sleep, (tried all the setting changes I could find)

This NIC is just not stable and I will send them all back to the dealer.

Intel is aware of these issues but keeps us all in the dark.

Have fun you all!

Signing off

Dann

0 Kudos
SMoss
Novice

Joe_Intel, thanks for the suggestion. Dell's latest driver download (for Dell M3800) is still at v17.0.2.5 dated 28 Jun, 2014.

I downloaded from the other link listed and installed v17.12.0.4 and have Power Management > Allow computer to turn off device to save power > checked on.

Tried one sleep and one re-boot and connection came up successfully both times. Will report back on speed and reliability across various APs after a few days.

fyi. Just purchased a new Dell E5540 this week. It has the AC7260 card with v17.0.5.8 installed from factory. Have not seen any problems yet.

0 Kudos
AKule1
Novice

Try the driver here: https://www.crc.id.au/files/Intel%20AC-7260%20v17.12.0.4.exe https://www.crc.id.au/files/Intel%20AC-7260%20v17.12.0.4.exe then report back.

Thank you, your 17.12.0.4 drivers worked. I enabled power management, and enabled u-apsd, everything works normal now.

0 Kudos
BB4
New Contributor II

Joe, Al, and Kevin, yet another happy customer with 17.12.

When you gonna put that driver up here so we can link to your own domain?

0 Kudos
SHaig
Novice

I agree. Since I posted this link to the 17.12 driver on my web site, I get about 40 downloads per day.

Obviously word is out that it solves the problems - but I'm amazed that Intel hasn't done anything to put this on their site yet....

0 Kudos
BB4
New Contributor II

I've pointed a bunch of peeps here to it, and also noted that it's up at Lenovo, too, since many of the users with problems seem to have ThinkPads of some flavor. The major PITA of linking to it outside of Intel is that any post with such a link requires mod approval. Generally they're pretty quick about it, but in the middle of a conversation here about it, the guy with the problem doesn't want to wait. He wants to try something right now.

I much appreciate that you hosted the file initially. I trialed it myself and am now sticking with it, after being a confirmed believer in 16.6 since about a year ago.

Regards.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

joe_intel,

Just throwing my info into here:

Model: Lenovo X1 Carbon

Driver Versions: 17.1.0.X and 17.12.0.4

both versions have the issue with the wifi adapter failing on wake from sleep mode.

I do not have the issue when I enable "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" under the Power Management settings for the device. If I disable this option, the issue will return immediately.

0 Kudos
JDeVo
Beginner

With that option disabled as I thought it would cause me issues because that option is not clear as to WHEN or under what conditions this "power saving mode" will shut down the adapter... so I disabled it.

with it disabled any use of sleep mode (aka standby) when waking from sleep the device is no longer functioning at all it will not even show up in the Networks connections dialog....

after reading posts here... I tried re-enabling the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save Power" <-- vague statement =/

and sleep mode and resuming from it showed no issue for me after that.... on that issue at least....

Intel Driver v17.1.19 was what I was using but since updated via I got the newer (v17.12.0.5) I got from DriverStation I extracted the drivers and restored them in a RAR archive KEEP IT SIMPLE!

the issues connecting to Xfinity Hotspots is still present (ie I cannot do so anymore not with this Intel adapter anyhow.... I wasn't having issues with the original Atheros G adapter this laptop came with....

and the occasion dropped connections.

well well well looky what I found

some one posted updated drivers on Station-Drivers TODAY lol

http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php/downloads/Drivers/Intel/Wlan/PROSet-Wireless-WiFi-Software/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-WiFi-Software-Version-17.13.0.9-WHQL/ Intel PROSet/Wireless WiFi Software Version 17.13.0.9 WHQL

0 Kudos
JDeut
Beginner

joe_intel - I use the drivers I extracted from the OEM package here: https://www.crc.id.au/files/Intel%20AC-7260%20v17.12.0.4.exe https://www.crc.id.au/files/Intel%20AC-7260%20v17.12.0.4.exe

It is version 17.12.0.4.

The laptop is an HP Elitebook G1 840. Running Win7 x64

- Allow Computer to turn off this device to save power - CHECKED

- Allow this device to wake the computer - CHECKED

With this configuration, for the first time since owning this laptop, I think the WiFi issue is resolved.

PLEASE NOTE A POSSIBLE IMPORTANT POINT: With these drivers and settings, I'm for the first time hearing the "DEVICE CONNECT" (and sometimes "DEVICE DISCONNECT / CONNECT") sound when returning from sleep. This is key. There used to be no connection sounds when the WiFI didn't come to after sleep.

0 Kudos
SMcsm
Beginner

joe_intel .. another data point.

background

purchased dell m2800 customized. explicitly picked what i thought was the better wireless option of intel 7260 dual band wireless. foolishly assumed that with win7-64 and intel any driver issues would have been sorted out long ago. do not recall what driver shipped from dell but it was garbage with only 30 second connectivity to my netgear_wnr2000v3 running ddwrt which up till now had zero problems with any other card (my previous laptop was thinkpad T500 with intel AGN). after changing a few options (since changed back on both router and wireless card) i found this thread. dell still provides the 17.0.5.8 version driver as the most recent for this laptop. I believe that had serious connection issues but I havent gone back to check. using the dell driver update tool and wired access I was able to install v. 17.1.0.19 which has been very stable except for the common wake after sleep issue. I long ago checked "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" which did not help. I could reliably put laptop to sleep, wake, and have the wireless card stuck with the driver claiming the card was not functioning as others have reported in this thread. performing disable/enable from device manager would easily get the wireless back into working order. I just rechecked the thread and saw the discussions around driver version 17.12.0.4. I'm leary of installing drivers from random exe files from the internet but I didn't notice anyone reporting having all their bank accounts stolen so I decided to risk it even though dis/enable is only slightly annoying. i downloaded exe. unzipped it. then from device manager chose update driver for the wireless card and selected the win7 directory. windows quickly updated it without issue. immeditately after without reboot I put computer to sleep and woke it up. wireless immediately restored. I still have "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" checked. i'll update if I notice any other issues as I use it more but so far everything seems solid. huge thanks to the community for nailing down this issue with minimal help from intel. hopefully they will eventually get solid drivers out through official channels. until then this is another vote for the 17.12.0.4 driver. another random note. one of the issues I noticed with the drivers before 17.1.0.19 was that even when it seemed stable I could usually cause the wireless card to crash if guild wars 2 updated, which I presume stressed the connection with large packets and/or many simultaneous tcp connnections. with 17.1.0.19 i noticed only the resume from sleep issue.

current settings

dell m2800 i7 16GB ram

win7-64 pro

intel v17.1.0.19 driver and software installed from intel driver update tool

intel v17.12.0.4 driver only updated from expanded .exe provided by crcinau

"Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" checked

wireless appears to reconnect from sleep without issue. seems to have no problems connecting to slightly older wireless router now. no known issues at this point.

Thank you very much crcinau for providing what appears to be a fully functional driver.

UPDATE 20150110: for the most part 17.12.0.4 is reasonably stable however I have had at least two cases where I lose "internet access" (per the windows wireless status) during large downloads. disabling/re-enabling wireless driver restores access and both times everything proceeded normally so while it def fixed the sleep issue for me it still seems buggy with my router and large downloads. its been rare enough I'll probably stay with 17.12.0.4 for now. i still hope intel comes up with a more stable driver one of these days.

0 Kudos