Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7431 Discussions

Intel AC7260 problems

NK5
Beginner

Hi there, I just excitedly bought 3 AC7260 cards for all our laptops in the house cause we upgraded our router to the RT-AC66U and let me tell you I am soooooo NOT impressed with these cards. They are horrible, I cannot keep a consistent connection with my router.

Computer # 1 is a Dell 7720 running windows 8 and all I keep getting is constant unable to access network page errors that only say on a chrome web page:

Error code: ERR_NETWORK_CHANGED

In my intel event viewer I get around 3 lines marked Information..... authenticating wireless profile XXXXX every minute!!!!!! This can't be right???

Computer # 2 is an XPS 15 running windows 7 home and I get the same problems as computer # 1 just not as many chrome ERR pages.

Computer # 3 is an Alienware M18 and it consistantly drops the wireless connection too. I had a bigfoot card in there previously and NEVER had any problems with losing wireless connections.

I'm using all the latest newest drivers on all my laptops and i just can't believe how troublesome these 7260's are. Anyone else actually have a 7260 thats rock solid and if so, how did you do it?

314 Replies
MFron2
Beginner

I actually found another solution. I used take ownership to own the same folder you did. Then I uninstalled the proset software in control panel then it all started working again. I'm pretty sure that it is something in the proset software keeping windows from saving the xml file. Since I uninstalled proset all is working again.

0 Kudos
BShah5
Beginner

Hello Saraqiel,

First of all thank you for sharing your detailed insights on this issue. I modified the XML file, but the issue still persists in my case. My network set-up is as follows:

WPA2-AES, connecting to 5Ghz band.

Acer Aspire M5 laptop with Intel Wireless Dual Band N 7260.

This is a very wide spread issue that Intel must address on a priority basis. See below:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/networking-wireless/716325-intel-7260-a-31.html Intel 7260? - Page 31

0 Kudos
JRave1
Beginner

The work around didn't even last a session for me. after a restart i had it was back to the drawing board. I recalled that when installed the ProSet it had asked me if i wanted it to be the primary manager for networks and i said yes. after which point i was not longer able to use (or regain use) of Windows Connection Manager. Well, since the ProSet wasn't able to manage the wireless connections and now that windows was no longer allowing me access to manage my wireless connections i had to do a soft reset on my entire system (after i had to painstakingly back up my entire system). so far the issue seems to no longer persist but i will try to do a few shutdowns and restarts to verify that the issue is no longer continuing. will update my results through out the day.

0 Kudos
SChin9
Beginner

My Intel Wireless-N 7260 (not AC) also facing "limited connectivity" issue when using Intel official driver. So, hopefully Intel fix it as soon as possible.

0 Kudos
SGowr
Novice

I have the same problem with Intel Wireless-N 7260. The card works just fine, but after a few minutes transfer slows down to about 4Mb/s.

I tried with all drivers and always have the same problem. Sometimes the card loses connection and I must reset it.

Is it planned to fix the drivers?

Windows 7 64bit Professional.

0 Kudos
TPetr1
Beginner

I am having the exact same problems as you, me and my brother both have brand new windows 8 pcs with it and neither of us can connect to our wifi unless we put it right next to the router. Even when we are right next to it it still ranges between 3 to 5 bars. I have found out that using an ethernet cord is the best solution for this cause the part really just sucks.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

I recently read some people are confused about the driver versions that appear in Device Manager for this adapter model and the operating system used. Intel® Proset Software packages do not necessarily contain drivers for all combinations of wireless adapters and operating systems. Please refer to the table provided in the article below.

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-034315.htm Intel� Wi-Fi Products; Intel� PROSet Wireless Software driver versions by Operating System

An easier way to update will be using the http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect Intel® Driver Update Utility.

I am sorry to know some of you continue to experience issues. Please let us know if you noticed improvements with the latest version (16.6).

GYane
Beginner

Problem persists even with 16.6.0.8. With this version when the speed drops makes even browsing impossible - skype disconnects and nothing pass through. If there is something I can help you with guys I am at your disposal. Lets get this solved!

Cheers

0 Kudos
AU2
Beginner

The problem persists at its full extent with drivers 16.6.0.8 as well as 16.6.2.1 (the ones that Windows Update offers to install, which, judging by version number, are newer than ones offered by Intel Driver Update Utility and provided on Intel's driver download site.

The site I am currently working in has 40+ active and visible APs (all in 2.4 GHz band), more than 100 handheld WiFi terminals and close to 50 active Bluetooth barcode scanners. While I understand this is a tough environment RF-wise, but my old notebook with older Intel 6205 WiFi card works in 802.11n at high speed without a single glitch, while new ultrabook with AC7260, sitting on the same desk and connected to same AP, does not survive more than half an hour before throttling WiFi speed to 1mbps and breaking active network connections down to complete unusability. PC reboot or adapter disabling/enabling restores connection. Putting PC to sleep (any sleep state) and waking up surely cripples WiFi operation until next reboot.

It's obvious and a pity that Intel and its representatives (joe_intel) do know that problem still exists, but fail to recognize it and pretend that it is solved in latest drivers they provide. It is NOT.

0 Kudos
tvete
Valued Contributor II

The 7260 drivers just can't cope with extreme WiFi interference. I have around 30 APs in range at my place and I used to get that issue at 2.4 GHz resulting to downloads and uploads being interrupted. I used to get this issue with all of previous released drivers but with 16.6.0.8 drivers, this issue for me was fixed somehow @ 2.4 GHz. It still slows down to as low as 18 Mbps for a second or two (on a few occasions) but it quickly returns to 144 Mbps when there's data streaming. It's always at 144 Mbps for the most part. To completely minimize interference, I added a 5 GHz AP and the issue was completely eliminated! I have never had an issue when connected to 5 GHz band.

0 Kudos
AU2
Beginner

While Intel keeps silently hiding in a bushes, it seems they have finally managed to fix slowdown problems with a driver version 16.8.0.6. But for some strange reason they do not share their latest drivers with anyone but Dell:

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails?driverId=5VYHN&fileId=3334123740 http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails?driverId=5VYHN&fileId=3334123740

Even if installer claims "driver is for Dell computers only" and would not install on my Asus ultrabook, it still unpacks AC7260 driver by default to C:\Dell\Drivers\5VYHN\Drivers\, from where it can be installed without hassles on any system equipped with AC7260.

I have not observed any problems so far with this version, it even fixed Bluetooth mouse disconnection problems (BT is integrated with WiFi in AC7260, it seems two technologies are tightly interrelated here). In particular I am no longer experiencing WiFi slowdowns when connected to 2.4GHz 802.11n AP in the heavily RF-crowded environment with 100+ active WiFi devices and ~40 different APs vith various SSID's within reach.

It is sad why the driver dated 05/12/2013 and released on 1/13/2014 (according to dell.com) has not yet found its official way to Intel's driver download page. Intel's fake claims on "we have solved them in driver 16.6" reminds infamous Pentium FDIV bug and Intel's long term denial on its existence. People and companies do mistakes, this is not avoidable. Daring to recognize them and standing behind them IS a dependable company attribute. But lies, hiding and denial is not. Shame on you, Intel.

0 Kudos
BIonu
Novice

No download section a newer driver because they are not able to create a stable driver for AC7260, unfortunately ... To solve a problem like this requires competent people!

0 Kudos
LG4
Novice

I actually have been running 16.8.0.6 from http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails?driverId=HRMXV http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails?driverId=HRMXV with no issues on 5 band, but 2.4 is still not fully working. It's better than previous versions. I'm on dell 5530, but it should work on others.

0 Kudos
BIonu
Novice

I sold dirt N1030 Intel to buy another mess of Intel 7260 AC. Looks like smart guys who produce this crap are more interested in commercials and praise. Smart!! You are able(at least in 1-2-3 years) to create a DRIVER FOR YOUR misery?? If you can't, let your skilled folks and make others job! Grab your broom given better ....It is the last time I will buy a product Intel !

0 Kudos
MWell4
Novice

My problem is, that my Intel Dual Band Wireless-N 7260 also manages Bluetooth (Lenovo T440s).

Everytime Windows tries to establish a WLAN connection, Bluetooth stops working and vice-versa.

That problem occured first after the update from Windows 8 to 8.1

All drivers tried.

joe_intel, is there an estimated time when these issues will probably be fixed?

0 Kudos
BIonu
Novice

On my old laptop at home wi-fi card is an Intel 5100 (dual band) who brings over 100 mb / s compared to the acquisition, Intel 7260 wi-fi needle out not more than 40mb / s (that no matter how many settings i would do). If you look at the specs on paper, 7260 needle is superior to the 5100 agn but in reality it is not, is weaker. It is a matter of drivers, the problem that would have to be resolved until today. No more struggling with all the router settings / setup the network card because the problem is actually INTEL!

0 Kudos
MHern9
Beginner

You guys want more fuel to the fire, look at this and try it out on your system. Your AC cards are no longer AC with version 17.x.

0 Kudos
PShu1
Beginner

Indest: I think this is an identification/nomenclature issue that has been cited elsewhere in this thread or the forums here. The driver is indeed 802.11ac, it just does not report as such.

0 Kudos
AKule2
Beginner

I tried the latest drivers and my 7260 last night. Seemed to work well until I woke and resumed from standby to find the adapter wouldn't reconnect to my wifi. Back to my wifilink 1000 for reliable connectivity.

0 Kudos
LG4
Novice

This not solving it. You don't get AC speed with it.

0 Kudos