Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7367 Discussions

Intel AX200 Hardware timestamping feature

taguiar08
Beginner

Hello,

Following another thread (https://community.intel.com/t5/Wireless/Intel-AX200-supports-FTM-802-1AS-Integration/m-p/1296249#M36663), Is asked if AX200 device supports ftm 802.1AS integration. Given that, i am interested in using the hardware time-stamping feature for time synchronization purposes. This feature is currently supported by the back-port iwlwifi driver (i'm using the last core release, available at  https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/iwlwifi/backport-iwlwifi.git/), but the firmware i am currently using (iwlwifi-cc-a0-66.ucode and iwlwifi-cc-a0-69.ucode) seems not having this support.

So, i would like to know :

->For this chip-set specifically (AX200), is there a public firmware where is sure to have the hardware time-stamping feature?

->If there is not a public firmware having the feature for this chip-set, is there a possibility to provide a custom firmware with this feature?

->If there is no firmware capable of supporting this feature for this chip-set, are there chip-sets whose firmware supports the feature? If yes, which device and which firmware specifically?

Any help would be appreciated!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DeividA_Intel

Hello taguiar08,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I understand that you have some questions about a feature related to the Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 (Gig+).

In order to assist you properly, please try the following:  

1. Just to know about your system, are you using a laptop or desktop computer?

2. To confirm, are you working on a project or developing a product?

3. Can you provide more details about your request? This is to understand better your needs.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
taguiar08
Beginner

Hello @DeividA_Intel  ,

Thank you for your response. So, answering your questions :

1. I am currently using two machines for this project, both of which with the Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 chip-set :

*A laptop Dell precision 7520 core i7 with Ubuntu Linux distribution with kernel 5.15

*An i.MX8MPlus Application Processor board with a custom Linux distribution and kernel 5.15

2. I am working on a project which is needed this feature.

3. Based on the thread i mentioned in the beginning, I also want implement the 802.1AS protocol in a Wireless Local Area Network (WLAN) context using the FTM protocol. To achieve that, i need to have access to the timestamp of the sent/received pdu's. As I said before, the recent core release of the iwlwifi driver, which is a back-ported wireless driver I'm currently using, has now a support to retrieve these timestamps from the firmware, if it has this capability. So i want to know if, for this chip (AX200), or even for some other Intel wireless chip, there is a firmware capable of reporting timestamps for the upper layers. If yes, i want to know which firmware is (and for which chip device) specifically.

Otherwise, if there is no firmware with such support, i want to know if it is possible to provide a custom firmware for this chip with the hardware timestamping feature, so i can continue to develop this project.

Thank you in advance for your help!

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello taguiar08, 

Thank you for the information provided 

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello taguiar08, 

Thanks for your patience. I would like to let you know that there is no ETA for making the 802.1AS FTM feature in public firmware.

My recommendation is to get in contact with your Intel representative or FAE directly about requesting custom firmware.

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.  

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos