Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7367 Discussions

Intel AX200 Speeds Drop to 20Mbps, then Surge to 200+Mbps After Resetting Network adapter.

Rolando
Novice

Hi! I am having the same exact issue that another member had in this post.

Basically, I built a new PC. Intel AX200 is integrated in the ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming Wi-Fi 6 motherboard. All antennae plugged in correctly, etc. Since using the new PC, I get 20Mbps download speeds, which is super low for my network. If I restart the network adapter in Windows, my speeds go much higher ( ~200Mbps) for a little while. Once the connection goes idle for a bit, the speeds dump back down to 20 and stay there until I restart the network adapter again.

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming Wi-Fi 6

WiFi Integration: Intel AX200, Driver Version is 22.40.0.7. I've tried using the Asus' driver for the mobo as well.

Router: Verizon G3100

It seems like this issue happens to a variety of folks, using different motherboards, different routers, etc. The user in the post I linked had this issue with every Intel AX200 card he used on a specific Netgear router. I am now experiencing this issue with a Verizon Fios router. Does anyone have a solution?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

Rolando,

Your follow-up note perfectly explains why your throughput varies. Further, I looked over the two SSU reports you submitted and they confirm that at one point you are connected on the 5 GHz band, and later you are connected on the 2.4 GHz band. Interestingly, both reports show only moderate signal strength. The report taken when connected on 5 GHz shows only 34% signal strength. That tells me you are either too far away from the FiOS router, or there are too many obstructions, or the FiOS router is having trouble getting the signal out into the living area. I imagine that what is happening is the 5 GHz signal finally gets too weak to maintain a link and the adapter is dropping to the 2.4 GHz link.

I don't like to help users spend their money. However, you may want to consider an external wireless router and just keep the Verizon G3100 as the WAN link. There are any number of good AX capable wireless routers available. Sadly, the pandemic has made it a little difficult in obtaining some equipment, so patience may be in-order. I would recommend that if you go the route of an AX wireless router, you eventually disable the wireless in the G3100 to eliminate possible signal conflicts. And I would further suggest only consider something that supports MU-MIMO. I've read good feedback on here about a Netgear unit, and I personally have the Asus RT-AX88U. It all depends on your budget. If your living area is large enough, you might want to consider getting some type of mesh setup.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

Rolando,

Intel has a utility called Intel System Support Utility that collects information on the hardware, driver versions, OS revision, BIOS version, and some other stuff. Nothing that is sensitive information is covered. The link for the SSU is here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

Please take two SSU samples. In the first sample please run the utility, leave the default settings, click Scan, then click Next, and finally save the results into a file. Do this when your PC is first running and you are getting the better throughput. After the throughput drops to the reduced rate please rerun the SSU. This time uncheck everything except for Networking, run the scan and save the results. Then please post back and attach both files. That will give a snapshot of your PC when you have good network versus when the network slows down.

0 Kudos
Rolando
Novice

Hey @Khun_Doug !

Thanks for responding to my issue! Here are the files you requested. I've named them so that they can be differentiated between.

0 Kudos
Rolando
Novice

So as a quick follow-up @Khun_Doug , your suggestion made me notice that, for some reason, my connection keeps switching from 802.11ax on Channel 52 (where I notice I have good speeds) to 802.11n on Channel 1 (when the bad speeds occur). I'm thinking this may be the issue, but I don't know why this is happening. Do I have something misconfigured?

I actually waited and watched, and the moment this switch occurred, my connection speeds dropped as usual. So whatever is causing me to automatically switch from 802.11ax to 802.11n after a certain period of time (or reduced network activity?) is reducing my speeds until I reset my network adapter.

0 Kudos
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

Rolando,

Your follow-up note perfectly explains why your throughput varies. Further, I looked over the two SSU reports you submitted and they confirm that at one point you are connected on the 5 GHz band, and later you are connected on the 2.4 GHz band. Interestingly, both reports show only moderate signal strength. The report taken when connected on 5 GHz shows only 34% signal strength. That tells me you are either too far away from the FiOS router, or there are too many obstructions, or the FiOS router is having trouble getting the signal out into the living area. I imagine that what is happening is the 5 GHz signal finally gets too weak to maintain a link and the adapter is dropping to the 2.4 GHz link.

I don't like to help users spend their money. However, you may want to consider an external wireless router and just keep the Verizon G3100 as the WAN link. There are any number of good AX capable wireless routers available. Sadly, the pandemic has made it a little difficult in obtaining some equipment, so patience may be in-order. I would recommend that if you go the route of an AX wireless router, you eventually disable the wireless in the G3100 to eliminate possible signal conflicts. And I would further suggest only consider something that supports MU-MIMO. I've read good feedback on here about a Netgear unit, and I personally have the Asus RT-AX88U. It all depends on your budget. If your living area is large enough, you might want to consider getting some type of mesh setup.

0 Kudos
Rolando
Novice

Hey Khun_Doug!

Thank you for helping me to identify the cause of the issue! Unfortunately, I live in the basement apartment of a family home, and my landlord has complete control over the WiFi (a service he doesn't charge me to use). I wouldn't be comfortable asking him to mess with his network configuration (hardware/software), so I think I'll have to get by with what I have.

However, if you happen to know of anything I can do on my end to improve the situation, please let me know! I'd be glad to shell out cash for whatever is within my power to fix. If there are more powerful WiFi antennae I can plug into my PC (to better receive his WiFi's signals), or something of that nature, that would be fantastic. I've searched for such things in the past, but I wasn't able to find any that I thought would help.

0 Kudos
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

Rolando,

I frequent;y try to imagine myself being in a similar situation as people with different problems, and then think about how I would approach it. In your case I would try an extender/repeater. First, install NetSpot on your mobile phone and then look around your apartment for an area with the strongest signal. If you can find a spot that has stronger signal than the area where your PC is located, that's a possible location. Many routers have a media extender function, essentially a repeater, that would allow you to repeat the signal from upstairs and then better blanket the area where you are living. You would need to research a router in your price range and make sure it can act as an extender. I don't know if the routers are able to extend/repeat AX, but you should be able to extend/repeat an AC signal.

I keep my Asus RT-AC87U that I've had for years as a spare router. I know that has extender functionality built-in. You could probably get one used on eBay for not a lot of money. Of course, that's provided you can find a spot with decent signal, and a signal that is stronger than what you get on your PC currently.

0 Kudos