Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Intel AX200 WiFi card / Yellow ban issue

M_O
Novice

Hi All,

I purchased Intel AX200 base PCIe card last week.
Then struggling WiFi Yellow BAN issue.

Any suggestion, feedback, comment appreciated. 

Issue: Yellow ban persisted on Intel AX200 WiFi card in Device Manager. (error code 10)

Background: I bought Intel AX200 base PCIe WiFi card last week.
Then install it into my desktop PC. After install it, Bluetooth is OK but WiFi function is not available.
Yellow ban persisted all the time. I did following things but issue still persisted.

1: Update system board BIOS, then use different PCIe Slot.
2: Use latest Intel provided driver. (22.20.0.6)
3: Remove wifi card, then re-install PC.

Here is a error message below.

System
- Provider
[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP
[ Guid] {9c205a39-1250-487d-abd7-e831c6290539}
EventID 411
Version 0
Level 2
Task 0
Opcode 0
Keywords 0x4000000000000000

- TimeCreated
[ SystemTime] 2021-01-14T01:55:45.6432386Z
EventRecordID 952
Correlation
- Execution
[ ProcessID] 4
[ ThreadID] 8188
Channel Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP/Configuration
Computer Corei7
- Security
[ UserID] S-1-5-18
- EventData
DeviceInstanceId PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2723&SUBSYS_00848086&REV_1A\4&3ea651a&0&0009
DriverName oem80.inf
ClassGuid {4d36e972-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
ServiceName Netwtw10
LowerFilters
UpperFilters vwifibus
Problem 0xa
Status 0xc0000001

0 Kudos
1 Solution
M_O
Novice

Hi Khun_Doug, All,

Finally, I could fix yellow ban issue tonight. Thanks for your suggestion and advice.

Here is my step to fix AX200 PCIe x1 base board WiFi yellow ban issue. 

1: Apply latest "beta" BIOS.  This "beta" BIOS is newer than latest formal production BIOS but it is out of date anyway. Because my mother board is Z87 base system board. I purchased it end of 2013. So 7 years old.   

2: Go to UEFI BIOS menu, Disable unused devices like Onboard LAN and Serial ports. 

3: Go to UEFI BIOS Chipset menu, Enable "Detect PHC PCIe Non-Compliance Device".

4: Use PCIe x1 slot only.  DO NOT use PCIe x16 slot. 

5: Turn on PC, Boot OS, use latest Intel provided WiFi driver. 

If I use latest chip set base system board, I think I don't need to struggling like this time....  

Anyway, Finally, I could fix this issue. Thanks! 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Vegan
New Contributor I

download the intel driver and support tool which can find suitable drivers for all of Intel's devices

0 Kudos
M_O
Novice

Hi Vegan, 

Thanks for your reply. 

Yes, I tried to download Intel provided driver from Intel Web site then install it but it is not fixed yellow ban issue so far.  I tried following Intel WiFi drivers but issue still persisted.  

I also tried to manually select WiFi driver from device manager but it is not fixed this issue too.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

There really is a lot of detail missing to be able to assist on this. What version of Windows are you using? What type of motherboard? Do you have any other network adapter besides the AX200 connected, either in a PCIe slot or USB?

Did you try resetting the network stack?

0 Kudos
M_O
Novice

Hi Khun_Doug,

Thanks for your reply. Here is my environment.

Motherboard: ASRock Z87 extreme4 (bit old.)  Updated latest BIOS. 

>1-If the motherboard has any other onboard wireless, I would disable it from BIOS

>2-If the motherboard has onboard Ethernet (and most do these days), try going into the network adapters, right-click the Ethernet adapter, and click Disable

Yes, I removed USB WiFi dongle, BT dongle, disable onboard LAN from UEFI BIOS menu. Then install AX200 PCIe card but yellow ban continue persisted. 

>3-Go into Device Manager, and remove the WiFi 6 AX200 adapter and be sure to uninstall the driver. Then reinstall from the 22.20.x.x. installer

To remove adapter, and re-install driver, also manual driver install did not fix this issue. 

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

Yep, that Z87 motherboard has some years on it. But that might actually be part of the problem. A few things to try:

If you have another open slot on the motherboard, try moving the adapter to a different slot. The other thing is to check in BIOS and see if BIOS can identify there is something plugged into that slot. I had a GPU that wouldn't always get detected by the motherboard. The solution was to go into BIOS and force the type of device that was plugged into the slot, eliminating BIOS from trying to determine what type of device it was.

Sad to say, it may just be an instance of the hardware not being compatible. It could also be a defective adapter.

0 Kudos
M_O
Novice

Hi Khun_Doug, All,

Finally, I could fix yellow ban issue tonight. Thanks for your suggestion and advice.

Here is my step to fix AX200 PCIe x1 base board WiFi yellow ban issue. 

1: Apply latest "beta" BIOS.  This "beta" BIOS is newer than latest formal production BIOS but it is out of date anyway. Because my mother board is Z87 base system board. I purchased it end of 2013. So 7 years old.   

2: Go to UEFI BIOS menu, Disable unused devices like Onboard LAN and Serial ports. 

3: Go to UEFI BIOS Chipset menu, Enable "Detect PHC PCIe Non-Compliance Device".

4: Use PCIe x1 slot only.  DO NOT use PCIe x16 slot. 

5: Turn on PC, Boot OS, use latest Intel provided WiFi driver. 

If I use latest chip set base system board, I think I don't need to struggling like this time....  

Anyway, Finally, I could fix this issue. Thanks! 

0 Kudos
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

I'm glad your problem is resolved. You will likely get a lot of time out of that Z87 board. I have an old Asus ROG with what must be a 1st or 2nd gen I7 that has been changed into a Kodi media player. It just keeps going and going

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I would like to place additional emphasis on point #4. The documentation for one of the PCIe carrier cards I purchased specifically said to only use the card in PCIe x1 connectors. I tested this card in a x4 connector and it would not work, so there you go. I have two systems with DZ87KLT-75K boards and i7-4770K processors and they are both outfitted with AX200 cards in PCIe carrier cards and these cards work just fine.

...S

M_O
Novice

Hi Scott,
Thanks for your comment.
Unfortunately, my AX200 wifi card manual has no explanation like that. Just recommend to use different slot.
My board (Z87 extreme4) has only 1 PCIe x1 slot but it was not available for a while. Then I tried free PCIe x16 slot but it was also failed.

After that, I found that latest production BIOS improved PCIe compatibility.
Also, I suppose point #3 might be effective for this issue. Of course, point #4 is important definitely because my z87 base board PCIe x16 slot is not available to use AX200 card from first to the end.

Only 1 PCIe x1 slot available to use ax200 wifi card after modify BIOS and OS like I mentioned above.
So bit complicated than my expectation when I purchased AX200 wifi card. But I am happy now. So far so good since last night. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

You don't mention what type of motherboard. I would suggest the following without knowing more detail:

1-If the motherboard has any other onboard wireless, I would disable it from BIOS

2-If the motherboard has onboard Ethernet (and most do these days), try going into the network adapters, right-click the Ethernet adapter, and click Disable

3-Go into Device Manager, and remove the WiFi 6 AX200 adapter and be sure to uninstall the driver. Then reinstall from the 22.20.x.x. installer

4-Go to settings/ Network & Internet / Wi-Fi / Manage known networks, and clear out the cached known wireless APs

If all that fails, you may need to reset the network stack. It's not a complex process and can solve some really hard to crack issues. If you have to go that route, I would reset both IPv4 and TCP.

0 Kudos