Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7661 Discussions

Intel AX200 bluetooth won't work on Linux

kapa
Beginner

Hi,

I purchased a PCIE AX200 Wifi6 and Bluetooth adapter for my notebook (Asus Zenbook 14 OLED) as the WiFi performance of the factory delivered adapter of another manufaturer was not that good.

With AX200, Wifi was working out of the box, but the bluetooth device was not recognized at all. 

Since I have a dual boot set up, I booted into Windows 11 and wifi worked out of the box too, however the bluetooth adapter was not recognized, but after intalling Intel PROSet drives it was working! 

Conclusion: no hardware problem as such.

Then I disabled fast boot in BIOS and shut down the notebook. After a cold boot I could see the Bluetooth adapter in Linux dmesg, but the system fails to initialize it:

dmesg | grep Blue
[    9.205446] Bluetooth: Core ver 2.22
[    9.205474] Bluetooth: HCI device and connection manager initialized
[    9.205479] Bluetooth: HCI socket layer initialized
[    9.205482] Bluetooth: L2CAP socket layer initialized
[    9.205488] Bluetooth: SCO socket layer initialized
[    9.279965] Bluetooth: hci0: Bootloader revision 0.3 build 0 week 24 2017
[    9.281972] Bluetooth: hci0: Device revision is 1
[    9.281977] Bluetooth: hci0: Secure boot is enabled
[    9.281980] Bluetooth: hci0: OTP lock is enabled
[    9.281982] Bluetooth: hci0: API lock is enabled
[    9.281985] Bluetooth: hci0: Debug lock is disabled
[    9.281987] Bluetooth: hci0: Minimum firmware build 1 week 10 2014
[    9.310291] Bluetooth: hci0: Found device firmware: intel/ibt-20-1-3.sfi
[    9.310300] Bluetooth: hci0: Boot Address: 0x24800
[    9.310302] Bluetooth: hci0: Firmware Version: 132-3.24
[    9.614685] Bluetooth: hci0: Failed to send firmware data (-19)
[    9.614724] Bluetooth: hci0: sending frame failed (-19)
[    9.614737] Bluetooth: hci0: FW download error recovery failed (-19)
[    9.614776] Bluetooth: hci0: sending frame failed (-19)
[    9.614786] Bluetooth: hci0: Reading supported features failed (-19)
[    9.614789] Bluetooth: hci0: Error reading debug features
[    9.614793] Bluetooth: hci0: HCI LE Coded PHY feature bit is set, but its usage is not supported.
[    9.614803] Bluetooth: hci0: sending frame failed (-19)
[    9.614812] Bluetooth: hci0: Failed to read MSFT supported features (-19)
[   10.175761] Bluetooth: BNEP (Ethernet Emulation) ver 1.3
[   10.175768] Bluetooth: BNEP filters: protocol multicast
[   10.175774] Bluetooth: BNEP socket layer initialized

I am running Fedora 40 with kernel 6.8.8, also compiled tried 6.9 and 6.1.9 myself to see if it helps. Also tried Manjaro 240513 with kernel 6.9

Correspondingly hcitool, rfkill commands don't show anything and  /sys/class/bluetooth is an empty directory.

I could not find any info on which kernel it was supposed to work and why loading the firmware fails. I have tried different linux-firmware versions too, from latest Fedora to latest from kernel.org, just the (-19) code changes to (-22).

If I insert a USB bluetooh dongle, it works immediately, but not the AX200 bluetooth module, please help figuring out what can be done.

Best regards,

Kapa 

# inxi -E
Bluetooth:

# hcitool  dev
Devices:

# rfkill list
1: phy0: Wireless LAN
        Soft blocked: no
        Hard blocked: no
0 Kudos
25 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hi kapa,

Thank you for posting in Intel Communities!

We're grateful for the troubleshooting efforts you've made to get the wireless functioning with your system. To guarantee that we offer a precise solution, we ask for a bit more time to thoroughly investigate this matter. Rest assured, we will contact you with an update as promptly as possible.

Best regards,

Caguicla C.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
kapa
Beginner

Hi Caguicla,

> Upon reviewing the provided logs and running hciconfig, it appears that no details regarding the Bluetooth (BT) adapter are present.
> Similarly, lsusb does not yield any information about the BT device.
> This suggests that the adapter may not be recognized by the system.

This is not entirely accurate. The device is recognized by the system as indicated by the log entry:

[ 10.021663] usb 3-3: New USB device found, idVendor=8087, idProduct=0029, bcdDevice= 0.01

Subsequently, the btintel module uploads the firmware and waits for the device to respond. The device then disconnects, and the btintel module throws the following error:

[ 16.282223] usb 3-3: USB disconnect, device number 2
[ 16.282447] Bluetooth: hci0: Failed to send firmware data (-19)
[ 16.282463] Bluetooth: hci0: sending frame failed (-19)
[ 16.282472] Bluetooth: hci0: FW download error recovery failed (-19)
[ 16.282506] Bluetooth: hci0: sending frame failed (-19)
[ 16.282512] Bluetooth: hci0: Reading supported features failed (-19)

After this, the kernel does not see the USB 3-3 device, which seems to be a result of the btintel module bricking it.

> To address this, I recommend verifying the adapter's compatibility and ensuring it has been integrated correctly. Please contact your  system manufacturer for further assistance with these checks.

I want to point out that the adapter is an Intel product, and the issue appears to lie with the btintel module, which is also developed by Intel. Therefore, suggesting compatibility issues or system integration checks seems misplaced.

> Regarding your inquiry about older kernel versions, it may be beneficial to seek advice from the Linux community forums. The members there often have a wealth of knowledge and experience and may be able to offer practical workarounds for your situation.

Given these circumstances, I am led to believe that Intel might not prioritize ensuring the BT feature of the AX200 adapter is fully functional on Linux.

Cheers,
kapa

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hi kapa,

Thank you for your patience.

I am reaching out regarding the PCIE AX200 Wifi6 and Bluetooth adapter you recently acquired for your ASUS Zenbook 14 OLED. It has come to our attention that while the WiFi functionality was activated without issue, the Bluetooth component was not immediately detected. We understand that after installing the Intel PROSet drivers on Windows 11, the Bluetooth feature became operational, which is a positive indication of no hardware defects.

To better assist you and resolve any outstanding issues, we kindly request the following information:

1. Could you please provide the model number of the original wireless adapter that came with your laptop?

2. For a detailed system review, we would appreciate it if you could share the exact model number of your ASUS Zenbook 14 OLED or, if possible, the SSU logs.

3. Have you consulted with your Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) regarding the wireless hardware installation or upgrade? OEMs often have specific customizations for such modifications, and they may offer additional guidance. As a reference, we are sharing our Regulatory Information Regarding Wireless Hardware Installation or Upgrade article. 

Additionally, we have noted that the error messages from the Linux dmesg output suggest that the system recognizes the Bluetooth hardware but faces challenges loading the firmware. The error code (-19) usually signifies an issue with the firmware file or its compatibility with the system kernel.

In our continued efforts to understand your setup, we would also like to inquire about the installation process of the PCIE adapter. If you could provide photographs of the adapter and its installation on your laptop, it would greatly aid us in comprehending your configuration.

Awaiting your reply.

Best regards,

Caguicla C.

0 Kudos
kapa
Beginner

Hi Caguicla_Intel,

Thank you for your reply. Please fidn the answers to your questions as follows:

> 1. Could you please provide the model number of the original wireless adapter that came with your laptop?

The original wireless adapter was a MediaTek model MT7922A22M. The bluetooth worked out of the box, but the WiFi adapter speeds under Linux where horrible, especially after sleep.
This was the reason I chose to replace it with an intel adapter hoping for better hardware support. And indeed, the WiFi performance is now better than in Windows even.
But bluetooth does not work.

> 2. For a detailed system review, we would appreciate it if you could share the exact model number of your ASUS Zenbook 14 OLED or, if possible, the SSU logs. 

The exact model of the notebook is UM3402Y. The SSU logs are attached.

> 3. Have you consulted with your Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) regarding the wireless hardware installation or upgrade?

No, I haven't. I just read though multiple forums in the internet that the original adapter is... not so good for Linux to say it carefully and saw that a 20 Euro AX200 adapter may solve my network issues. I was not aware of the bluetooth issues beforehand.

> Additionally, we have noted that the error messages from the Linux dmesg output suggest that the system recognizes the Bluetooth hardware but faces challenges loading the firmware. The error code (-19) usually signifies an issue with the firmware file or its compatibility with the system kernel.

I agree, but I could not find a way to fix it, hoping you could help.

dmesg shows the lines:

[ 7.213466] Bluetooth: hci0: Minimum firmware build 1 week 10 2014
[ 7.265762] Bluetooth: hci0: Found device firmware: intel/ibt-20-1-3.sfi

I checked the firmware file it tries to load:

ls -l /lib/firmware/intel/ibt-20-1-3.sfi.xz
-rw-r--r--. 1 root root 475256 May 13 03:00 /lib/firmware/intel/ibt-20-1-3.sfi.xz

And to which RPM package it belongs:

rpm -qf /lib/firmware/intel/ibt-20-1-3.sfi.xz
linux-firmware-20240513-1.fc40.noarch

My current kernel is 6.8.10-300.fc40.x86_64 and the issue still persists.

> In our continued efforts to understand your setup, we would also like to inquire about the installation process of the PCIE adapter. If you could provide photographs of the adapter and its installation on your laptop, it would greatly aid us in comprehending your configuration.

Please find the photos attached, I hope it helps. The process was straight forward:

- open notebooks case
- locate the PCIE adapter
- remove protection sticker
- remove antenna connectors
- unscrew the fixation screw
- remove the old adapter
- insert the new adapter
- fix the screw
- attach antenna cables
- attach protection sticker
- close notebook case

Let me know if you need to know anything else.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hi kapa,

Thanks for your swift reply.

I want to point out once more that Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) typically have unique customizations for these types of modifications, and they might provide further instructions. For your convenience, we're providing our article on  Regulatory Information Regarding Wireless Hardware Installation or Upgrade. Our support in this area might be restricted, but you can be certain that we will consult with our engineers for additional insights.

Best regards,

Caguicla C.

0 Kudos
kapa
Beginner
Hi,

Thank you for the article, I checked it last time already and do not believe in an OEM limitation, I am located in the EU, not US.

Also the AX200 Bluetooth works under Windows, but does not under Linux. So it lacks proper drivers for Linux rather than it is limited by hardware.

Also there are numerous articles in the internet about AX200 Bluetooth not working under Linux, just without a solution.

The missing solution was mainly the reason contacting you, hoping to find a way to fix this technical problem.

I suspect the AX200 won’t work on any hardware, notebook or PC with a recent kernel (6.8+)

So what do you think, shall we give it a try to fix this technical challenge for the community or just “declare” the AX200 as not supported by Linux?

The latter would be sad, but would be at least a clear statement.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hi kapa,

Appreciate your patience on this matter.

After a thorough review of the computer's system specifications, I understand that the computer is primarily designed to support the Windows operating system. Given this, it is advisable to consult with the computer's manufacturer to verify whether the integration of a new wireless card is compatible and will function as expected with the system. This is particularly important as the manufacturer may have made modifications to the software or hardware that are not immediately apparent.

Furthermore, according to the system requirements, it supports Wi-Fi 6E (802.11ax), and the MediaTek MT7922A22M wireless card in is indeed Wi-Fi 6E capable. However, it's worth noting that Wi-Fi 6E represents an enhancement over the standard Wi-Fi 6, utilizing an expanded version of the 802.11ax protocol.

We value your experience and aim to ensure that any hardware upgrades align with the system's design and capabilities. Should you wish to continue troubleshooting, our Linux* Support for Intel® Wireless Adapters is available for reference. Nonetheless, for a definitive confirmation of the compatibility and functionality of your new wireless card, reaching out to the computer's manufacturer is recommended.

Best regards,

Caguicla C.

0 Kudos
kapa
Beginner
Hi,

The WiFi capability of the AX200 card is not under question in this case, as it works a way better than the MediaTek card.

It is the Bluetooth capability which does not work.

I am working with Linux since kernel 2.2, back in the days around 1999 no hardware was designed for Linux and despite that we have got it running.

I understand that you don’t want to look into that tissue as it would mean a challenge and you may not have time for it.

Luckily it’s not 1999 anymore and I can afford to buy an other PCIE WiFi card to test out with the hardware.

Less likely an Intel card though.

Thanks anyway.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hi kapa,

Appreciate your feedback on this matter.

Please understand that it is not a matter of reluctance to assist you further. Our commitment to providing comprehensive support remains strong.

However, we are currently facing a limitation in this particular matter. As your laptop is an Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) unit, and considering that the wireless card has been upgraded, we must adhere to certain protocols. These upgrades typically require approval from the OEM to ensure compatibility and maintain the integrity of the system.

Should you have any questions or require further clarification, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Best regards,

Caguicla C.

0 Kudos
kapa
Beginner

Hi,

for me commitment to providing comprehensive support  means something else.

You as hardware manufacturer declare Linux compatibility of the AX200 but are not interested in making it work in recent kernels hiding behind OEM restrictions.

Sticking a PCIE card in a self-built PC  is same as sticking it into a notebook in my view. I bought the hardware from my after-tax money and it belongs to me, I can do with it it what I want.

I don't believe ASUS will come to my home and beat me up for changing a network card. Also I dont believe they will come to your home and beat you up for helping me making the bluetooth run on the AX200 under Linux... wait a moment, they won't as you won't help me out anyway...

Hiding behing OEM restrictions and finger pointing to other manufacturers is so easy.

Enjoy doing nothing!

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hi kapa,

I have discussed this issue with our engineering team. Please see the feedback provided below.

Please install the latest and stable version of the mainline kernel, 6.9, available at kernel.org. This version includes the most recent wireless/Bluetooth firmware for the Intel AX200, version 77 (iwlwifi-cc-a0-ucode), which could potentially fix the problem.

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/tree/intel

intel/ibt-20-1-4.sfi

intel/ibt-20-0-3.sfi

If, after updating, you find that the issue persists, I recommend re-installing Fedora with Silverblue to ensure you have the latest Kernel. Alternatively, it may be beneficial to contact your PC manufacturer to verify whether your system is upgradable and compatible with the AX200 module.

Please do not hesitate to reach out if you require further assistance or if you have any questions regarding the process.

Best regards,

Caguicla C.

0 Kudos
kapa
Beginner

Hi Caguicla C.,

thanks for coming back on it, I appreciate it!

I made a request to ASUS whether they support other network cards in the notebook than the originally delivered ones, but the reply is yet pending, I'll keep you updated on that.

Thanks for confirming, that kernel 6.9 and ibt-20-1-4.sfi and ibt-20-0-3.sfi should work with the cards.

This is an important info, because meanwhile I compiled a vanilla kernel 6.9 and added trace messages to btintel.c as well as increasing timeouts.

Looking on the flow in the btintel driver, it sends the  ibt-20-1-3.sfi firmware to the card based on hwinfo it reads from it.
The firmware is loaded in 1.3 sec, then I see a USB disconnect in dmesg, then the driver times out on waiting for the bluetooth device  to come up with the loaded firmware.

I have also read in some public resources, that it should be ibt-20-1-4.sfi for that card, so I hardcoded ibt-20-1-4.sfi in the btintel.c file to be downloaded to the card, but it also didn't come up with the loaded firmware.

I will try hardcoding the ibt-20-0-3.sfi  firmware file and if it does not help, install Fedora Silverblue from scratch.

Will let you know later.

Cheers,

kapa

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hi kapa,

It's our pleasure to assist you. Please be assured that we are fully committed to providing you with the necessary support. Nonetheless, for the most accurate and detailed information, we recommend contacting your manufacturer directly. We look forward to your feedback after you've followed the recommendations and received a response from Asus regarding this issue.

Best regards,

Caguicla C.

0 Kudos
kapa
Beginner

Hi Caguicla,

I inquired with ASUS support regarding potential technical limitations in replacing the factory-installed WiFi module with one from a different manufacturer, as I am experiencing suboptimal performance with the original module.

ASUS's response was rather brief and can be summarized as follows:

• Replacing any modules except SSD modules would void the warranty (which is not a concern for me).
  • ASUS does not support Linux (and has never done so).

Despite my specific question about possible technical limitations, such as hard coding in the BIOS or other constraints tied to the original card, their response focused solely on warranty issues and their lack of Linux support.

Based on this, I am inclined to believe there are no technical limitations.

Regarding my tests:

- I compiled the latest mainline kernel 6.9.3 from kernel.org
- took latest linux-firmare package linux-firmware-20240513.tar.gz from git.kernel.org
- booted and the kernel tried to load ibt-20-1-3.sfi  and failed:

[    9.799353] Bluetooth: Core ver 2.22
[    9.802787] Bluetooth: HCI device and connection manager initialized
[    9.803337] Bluetooth: HCI socket layer initialized
[    9.806809] Bluetooth: L2CAP socket layer initialized
[    9.808284] Bluetooth: SCO socket layer initialized
[    9.872109] Bluetooth: hci0: Bootloader revision 0.3 build 0 week 24 2017
[    9.874118] Bluetooth: hci0: Device revision is 1
[    9.874123] Bluetooth: hci0: Secure boot is enabled
[    9.874126] Bluetooth: hci0: OTP lock is enabled
[    9.874128] Bluetooth: hci0: API lock is enabled
[    9.874129] Bluetooth: hci0: Debug lock is disabled
[    9.874132] Bluetooth: hci0: Minimum firmware build 1 week 10 2014
[    9.879597] Bluetooth: hci0: Found device firmware: intel/ibt-20-1-3.sfi
[    9.879621] Bluetooth: hci0: Boot Address: 0x24800
[    9.879623] Bluetooth: hci0: Firmware Version: 132-3.24
[   10.371396] Bluetooth: hci0: Failed to send firmware data (-19)
[   10.372616] Bluetooth: hci0: sending frame failed (-19)
[   10.372624] Bluetooth: hci0: FW download error recovery failed (-19)
[   10.372669] Bluetooth: hci0: sending frame failed (-19)
[   10.375926] Bluetooth: hci0: Reading supported features failed (-19)
[   10.375930] Bluetooth: hci0: Error reading debug features
[   10.377525] Bluetooth: hci0: HCI LE Coded PHY feature bit is set, but its usage is not supported.
[   10.377551] Bluetooth: hci0: sending frame failed (-19)
[   10.379290] Bluetooth: hci0: Failed to read MSFT supported features (-19)
[   10.856054] Bluetooth: BNEP (Ethernet Emulation) ver 1.3
[   10.857260] Bluetooth: BNEP filters: protocol multicast
[   10.858384] Bluetooth: BNEP socket layer initialized

Then I patched the drivers/bluetooth/btintel.c here, to use sfi-20-0-3.sfi:

1928 static int btintel_get_fw_name(struct intel_version *ver,
   1929                                              struct intel_boot_params *params,
   1930                                              char *fw_name, size_t len,
   1931                                              const char *suffix)
   1932 {
   1933         switch (ver->hw_variant) {
   1934         case 0x0b:      /* SfP */
   1935         case 0x0c:      /* WsP */
   1936                 snprintf(fw_name, len, "intel/ibt-%u-%u.%s",
   1937                          ver->hw_variant,
   1938                          le16_to_cpu(params->dev_revid),
   1939                          suffix);
   1940                 break;
   1941         case 0x11:      /* JfP */
   1942         case 0x12:      /* ThP */
   1943         case 0x13:      /* HrP */
   1944         case 0x14:      /* CcP */
   1945                 snprintf(fw_name, len, "intel/ibt-%u-%u-%u.%s",
   1946                          ver->hw_variant,
   1947                          //ver->hw_revision,
   1948                          0, // <-- HW revision overrid
   1949                          ver->fw_revision,
   1950                          suffix);
   1951                 break;
   1952         default:
   1953                 return -EINVAL;
   1954         }
   1956         return 0;
   1957 }

Then compiled the module, copied to /lib/modules and booted:

[    9.769117] Bluetooth: Core ver 2.22
[    9.771725] Bluetooth: HCI device and connection manager initialized
[    9.771733] Bluetooth: HCI socket layer initialized
[    9.771739] Bluetooth: L2CAP socket layer initialized
[    9.771750] Bluetooth: SCO socket layer initialized
[    9.882282] Bluetooth: hci0: Bootloader revision 0.3 build 0 week 24 2017
[    9.884270] Bluetooth: hci0: Device revision is 1
[    9.884272] Bluetooth: hci0: Secure boot is enabled
[    9.884274] Bluetooth: hci0: OTP lock is enabled
[    9.884275] Bluetooth: hci0: API lock is enabled
[    9.884276] Bluetooth: hci0: Debug lock is disabled
[    9.884277] Bluetooth: hci0: Minimum firmware build 1 week 10 2014
[    9.892153] Bluetooth: hci0: Found device firmware: intel/ibt-20-0-3.sfi
[    9.892187] Bluetooth: hci0: Boot Address: 0x24800
[    9.892189] Bluetooth: hci0: Firmware Version: 255-255.255
[   10.344558] Bluetooth: hci0: Failed to send firmware data (-19)
[   10.345536] Bluetooth: hci0: sending frame failed (-19)
[   10.345543] Bluetooth: hci0: FW download error recovery failed (-19)
[   10.345579] Bluetooth: hci0: sending frame failed (-19)
[   10.348092] Bluetooth: hci0: Reading supported features failed (-19)
[   10.348094] Bluetooth: hci0: Error reading debug features
[   10.348096] Bluetooth: hci0: HCI LE Coded PHY feature bit is set, but its usage is not supported.
[   10.348103] Bluetooth: hci0: sending frame failed (-19)
[   10.351134] Bluetooth: hci0: Failed to read MSFT supported features (-19)
[   10.856449] Bluetooth: BNEP (Ethernet Emulation) ver 1.3
[   10.858063] Bluetooth: BNEP filters: protocol multicast
[   10.858071] Bluetooth: BNEP socket layer initialized

As you can see, it tried ibt-20-0-3.sfi, the firmware version was also different to 20-1-3, but failed to load it.

Then I tried the same override for ibt-20-1-4.sfi and booted:

[    9.652104] Bluetooth: Core ver 2.22
[    9.652146] Bluetooth: HCI device and connection manager initialized
[    9.652151] Bluetooth: HCI socket layer initialized
[    9.652155] Bluetooth: L2CAP socket layer initialized
[    9.652164] Bluetooth: SCO socket layer initialized
[    9.777506] Bluetooth: hci0: Bootloader revision 0.3 build 0 week 24 2017
[    9.781773] Bluetooth: hci0: Device revision is 1
[    9.781778] Bluetooth: hci0: Secure boot is enabled
[    9.781781] Bluetooth: hci0: OTP lock is enabled
[    9.781782] Bluetooth: hci0: API lock is enabled
[    9.781784] Bluetooth: hci0: Debug lock is disabled
[    9.781785] Bluetooth: hci0: Minimum firmware build 1 week 10 2014
[    9.787984] Bluetooth: hci0: Found device firmware: intel/ibt-20-1-4.sfi
[    9.793840] Bluetooth: hci0: Boot Address: 0x24800
[    9.794968] Bluetooth: hci0: Firmware Version: 132-3.24
[   10.230339] Bluetooth: hci0: Failed to send firmware data (-19)
[   10.231480] Bluetooth: hci0: sending frame failed (-19)
[   10.231488] Bluetooth: hci0: FW download error recovery failed (-19)
[   10.233615] Bluetooth: hci0: sending frame failed (-19)
[   10.233624] Bluetooth: hci0: Reading supported features failed (-19)
[   10.233626] Bluetooth: hci0: Error reading debug features
[   10.233628] Bluetooth: hci0: HCI LE Coded PHY feature bit is set, but its usage is not supported.
[   10.233637] Bluetooth: hci0: sending frame failed (-19)
[   10.233642] Bluetooth: hci0: Failed to read MSFT supported features (-19)
[   10.726374] Bluetooth: BNEP (Ethernet Emulation) ver 1.3
[   10.727821] Bluetooth: BNEP filters: protocol multicast
[   10.727840] Bluetooth: BNEP socket layer initialized

But if also failed. So all 3 sfi files are not loaded.  As I was reluctant to try Fedore Silverblue due to it's atomic nature, I also intalled Manjaro kde-24.0.1-240529-linux69.iso, which was runnin kernel 2.9 but it booted with same errors.

I will give the Fedora Silverblue a try today and send an update.

Cheers,
kapa

0 Kudos
kapa
Beginner

Hi,

I installed Fedora Silverblue, this was a disaster it runs kernel 6.8.5 and does not ieven recognise the bluetooth module of AX200, even after loading btintel module.

I tried to rebase on rawhide version, it runs kernel 6.10.0, but also does not recognise the module. These atomic distros are a bit too complicated for me at the moment. It's pretty impossible to upgrade a kernele version in this containerized env.

However insering a bluetooth USB module works like a charm...

I would appreciate any help further...

Best,

kapa

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hi kapa,

I'll forward your feedback to our team and get back to you once we heard from them.

Best regards,

Caguicla C.

0 Kudos
kapa
Beginner

Hi Caguicla,

thanks for forwarding the info to your team!

I did some fresh installations of following Linux distributions with default kernels, all of them give the same error as above:

- Fedora 40 Plasma, kernel 6.8.8, 6.8.9, (compiled: 6.9.3, 6.10.rc1)
- Fedora Silverblue (also rebased to Bazzite): kernel 6.8.5, 6.10.0
- Ubuntu 24.04: kernel 6.8
- Elementary OS 7.1: kernel 6.2
- Debian 12: kernel 6.1.0.9
- PopOS! 22.04: kernel 6.8

I am sitting on PopOS! at the moment. Did not try Gentoo yet, but don't believe it wll help.

Btw. sticking in a no name USB Bluetooth dongle with CSR8510A10 chip works immediately on all distros, that is what I use at the moment to overcome the situation. Just it occupies the single full size USB port

Let me know if you need more info or want me to do some installations, patches, etc.

Best,
kapa

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Kapa,

Thank you for your patience.

After a thorough review of your case, we have determined that the issue you are experiencing requires specialized assistance from the Linux distribution software support team. This is due to the limitations of our current scope of support.

We recommend that you reach out to the Linux distribution support team for further investigation and resolution of this matter. They possess the necessary expertise and resources to provide you with the most effective solutions.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation. Should you require any additional information or assistance from our end, please feel free to contact us.

Best regards,

Caguicla C.

0 Kudos
kapa
Beginner

Hi Caguicla,

thanks for your reply. However your answer is again from "finger pointing department" towards Linux distro support rather than attempting to solve the issue as hardware manufacturer.

I listed 6 distros above where the BT module of AX200 is not working. Do you want me to contact all of them?

It's a general problem across most of distros, and pretty common, if you Google for  "ax200 bluetooth linux", you will see.

So, by all due respect, I can't accept your answer as a solution. 

Best regards,

kapa

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hi Kapa,

I checked this again with our engineering team. Please refer to the feedback below.

Check the output as below command to confirm again the this system identifies AX200 Bluetooth adapter.

#hciconfig -a

#lsusb

#lshw

'Complete' dmesg

# sudo dmesg > dmesg.log

Be reminded that this is self-integrating (and ASUS mentioned that the PC doesn't support Linux), there may be compatibility issues when using this Asus PC/AX200 with Linux OS. You may reach out to Linux community forums for possible workarounds

e.g. 

• Use an older version of Kernel that may work
  • Try to disable USB 3.0 or xHCI mode (so EHCI mode will be used instead) in BIOS.
  • Keep the USB device always on, #echo 'on' | sudo tee /sys/bus/usb/devices/usbX/power/control (Replace usbX with the number of AX200 Bluetooth )

Try the following workarounds to disable USB autosuspend

Best regards,

Caguicla C.

0 Kudos