Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7655 Discussions

Intel AX210 drivers require constant re-install. Please fix.

BobDobbs
New Contributor I

For almost 2 years, I have never had the Bluetooth function of the Intel AX210 module in my desktop PC, running Windows 11 x64, work reliably.  Across all the Intel BT driver updates since then, this hasn't changed.  What gives?

The Windows 11 machine has an AX210 plugged directly into the motherboard (using m.2 slot).  I added an AX210 PCie card to my older PC running Windows 10 about a month ago, since it's too old to have any m.2 slots, and the same things are happening.  Identical behavior, meaning I have to constantly reinstall the BT drivers.

Here's what happens:

1) Restart PC or turn it back on after a power-down. Get to Windows desktop. No BT icon in the system tray.  BT mouse and keyboard don't work, can't connect BT earbuds.  All such BT devices were previously paired with the PC, and worked fine before the restart/power cycle.

2) Go to Device Manager.  "Intel Bluetooth" item has the exclamation-point "broken driver" icon on it.  Right-click, update drivers, reinstall. 

2a) Some of the time - it seems completely random, I am asked to restart the computer, after reinstalling the BT drivers.  Usually, I won't, because sometimes I will have to reinstall them yet again (go back to Step 1).  BT works without restarting first, so I think the advisory is given in error or at least unnecessary.  No idea why it triggers some times but not others.

3) BT again works, until the next restart/power cycle.

Again, the behavior is identical on both the Windows 10 and 11 machines.  That's why I didn't bother making a distinction.

Intel, when are you going to fix this?  Now that it's happened on 2 different PCs, with 2 individual AX210 modules, with the only thing in common being your BT drivers, I'm pretty sure the problem is your BT drivers.

Meanwhile, the WiFi function of the AX210 works fine, on both PCs.  I never have to reinstall those (the AX210 WiFi drivers), and have yet to have an update to the WiFi drivers break anything.

I used a Kinivo BTD-400 USB Bluetooth dongle with the Windows 10 machine for years.  It was 100% reliable, so I know BT can work as it should.  Both Intel AX210 modules are much newer and should also be 100% reliable, yet their BT function is pretty much useless.  This is beyond exasperating.

To head off some of the usual questions:

-- here's some hardware specs (not that this should affect the issue, but anyway...)

Windows 10 machine: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 motherboard w/Intel Core i5 CPU

Windows 11 machine: ASRock Z690 PG Riptide motherbaord w/Intel Core i7 CPU

Nvidia GPU on both

16 to 32 GB RAM on both

various HDD's, SSD,'s and (on the newer Win 11 box) NVMe drives

-yes, I keep Windows 10 and 11 updated on the 2 machines

-yes, this happens with the latest BT drivers version (23.10.0 as of this writing, as far as I can tell)

-no, I can't find any pattern in BT disappearing & needing to reinstall the drivers.  Seems totally random.

thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
BobDobbs
New Contributor I

Ok- that wasn't quite as bad as I remembered.

Did a System Reset on the Windows 11 machine. 

AX210 BT drivers are loading every time so far, across multiple restarts and power cycles.

If it keeps doing that for a couple more days, I'm ready to call this "fixed."

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
35 Replies
BobDobbs
New Contributor I

Example: This morning BT was working on the Windows 11 machine.  Had to restart for various reasons.  BT was still working once I got back to the desktop.  Then I needed to restart again.  BT gone, had to reinstall the drivers as required. 

This is typical.  Every other restart or so, Bluetooth disappears, and I have to reinstall the driver.

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Thank you for bringing this into our attention. For now, it is best if I coordinate this with our team. Rest assured that we will monitor your ticket. I will send you an update once I received it or no later than Feb 1, 2024.

Ramyer M.

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
BobDobbs
New Contributor I
Thanks. Let me know if there are any log files that may be useful.
0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello BobDobbs, 

Thank you for patiently waiting. I appreciate your willingness to cooperate to solve this issue with the Bluetooth. We do need additional information so we can take the correct troubleshooting steps needed to fix this issue. Please share the following details:

1. When did you first notice the issue with the Bluetooth?

2. Have you made any changes before the issue occurred? If there are, please let us know if it is a hardware or software change 

3. Are you able to see any error code when looking at the status of the Bluetooth adapter in the device manager? If yes, what is the error code?

4. To examine your system closely, kindly please share the current SSU logs of your system by downloading and installing the Intel System Support Utility at this link: 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18377/intel-system-support-utility-for-windows.html. Since you are reporting this issue with two different systems, you ay run it on both systems so we can thoroughly check it for you.

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
BobDobbs
New Contributor I

In order asked:

1) I have had this problem on the Windows 11 machine since shortly after I built it, about 2 years ago.  To be specific, I bought and installed this AX210 card in the Windows 11 PC in March 2022:

https://www.newegg.com/fenvi-wi-fi-6e-fv-axe210ng-ngff-m-2-2230-interface/p/0XM-00JK-00099

For the Windows 10 machine, I bought and installed this other AX210 card:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07X462KRK

about a month ago (early January 2024).

On both machines, the Intel BT drivers have had to be reinstalled almost every time I restart or power-cycle the system, for the entire time I've had the AX210 installed.  Sometimes I can restart once, and not need to reinstall the drivers, sometimes it takes 2-3 restarts, it is not perfectly consistent.

To be clear, this has happened with both the most current version of the Bluetooth drivers (23.0.10), as well as every previous version since March 2022 for the Windows 11 machine.  23.10.0 is the only BT drivers version I've tried so far on the Windows 10 machine, since it only got its AX210 a month ago.

2) Not sure how to answer this one.  I have of course made numerous software changes to the Windows 11 machine in the past 2 years.  The only hardware change has been addition of a third NVMe drive, around a month ago, but the problem with the BT drivers on that machine has not been affected as far as I can tell.

For the Windows 10 machine, I haven't made any hardware changes in the last month (since installing the AX210 device), and no software changes other than routine Windows updates.

3) When I restart either machine, get to the Windows desktop and Bluetooth is not working, here is a screenshot of what I can see in Device Manager on both the Windows 10 and Windows 11 machines (it's identical);

example_after_restart_no_driver.png

I then go to Device Manager > Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth(R) > Update Driver > Browse my computer for drivers > Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer.  There is only one choice, since 23.10.0 is the latest and only version of the driver I have installed, on both machines.  I select that driver, click "Next," the driver reinstalls, and then BT works again (until the next system restart!).

4) I have obtained SSU logs on both Windows 10 and Windows 11 machines, in both conditions - when BT is not working, and after I've reinstalled the BT drivers.  You're asking me to upload the logs through the SSU's "Open a web browser..." option, correct?  I am unable to get that to work.  The page (https://servicerequestmgmt.intel.com/webticketui/) does not load.  Is there some other way I can get the logs to you?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Have you tried just attaching them to a post here? First of all, add all of the log files into a pair of ZIP files. Bring both files to the machine where you are conversing here. Then, click on the vertical '...' for your most-recent post and select Edit. Finally, drag the ZIP files from the File Explorer window to the box that says "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" (it will be below the edit box that you type in).

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello BobDobbs, 

I agree with n_scott_pearson that you can attach the logs on the post here so we can be more familiar with the configuration of your system. 

Please post them here and I will check it for you.

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
BobDobbs
New Contributor I
Ok then - I have all the logs and will provide an archive soon.
0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello BobDobbs, 

I will be waiting on your logs. Feel free to post them here.

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
BobDobbs
New Contributor I

Logs attached.  File names should be self-explanatory, but let me know if you have any questions.

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello BobDobbs, 

I will be coordinating this with our team for now. Rest assured that I will give you an update once I have it on or before February 14, 2024.

Ramyer M. 

RamyerM_Intel

Hello BobDobbs,

Thank you for patiently waiting. Upon checking your logs, we found out that your BIOS is outdated. We highly recommend updating your BIOS gradually, rather than skipping to the latest version as some motherboards may not support abrupt BIOS updates. Here are the links for the BIOS update of your two motherboards. 

1. AS Rrock Z690 : https://pg.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z690%20PG%20Riptide/index.asp#BIOS
  2. Z77 Extreme4 : https://www.asrock.com/mb/intel/z77%20extreme4/#BIOS

You may also contact your motherboard manufacturer if you need further assistance with the BIOS update. 

You may also follow the steps at this links if the issue still persists after updating your BIOS : 

You have already done some of the steps on the link above. Some of the steps you haven' t done yet are the following: 

• Restore the system from the restore point. If the wireless network problem happens recently, and if you have ever created a restore point or there is an automatic system restore existed, try to restore the computer to a point before the problem began.

• Reset your PC. If the problem persists after all troubleshooting steps are completed. Please back up your personal files, then reset the PC back to its original configuration.  

To learn more about the system restore and system reset, refer to Recovery options in Windows

• Loading the BIOS to default

• Perform a Complete Powercycle
    1. Shut Down the whole system
    2. Unplug the power cable from PSU power supply
    3. Hold down power button for 60 seconds

Let us know the issue still persists after doing our recommendations. 

Ramyer M. 

BobDobbs
New Contributor I

System Restore will not do anything here.  I have had the problem described in my original post, since initially installing the AX210 devices on both systems, that is, from day one.  There is therefore no "known good" restore point I can go back to.

Complete powercycles (aka cold boot)  also aren't the fix.  I tried to make that clear in my initial post.  After a cold boot, there is a good chance I will have the Error 43, and no functioning Bluetooth until I reinstall the BT drivers.  this happens often, just like with system restarts (aka warm boot).

I am not yet at a point where I am willing to do a Windows reinstall or reset on the slight chance it may fix the issue.  Very much doubting it would do anything on the Windows 11  machine, since I installed the AX210 device only a month or so after building that one, meaning I had a fairly "fresh" Windows 11 install at the time.

The only remedy you list there that seems like it has any chance of being a fix without significant pain is, the BIOS updates (assuming of course I don't brick a system during update...).

I have avoided updating BIOS on the two systems, because the vendor/OEM (ASRock) advises not to update BIOS unless the update fixes a specific problem that is happening, due to the risk of bricking the motherboard during an update.  

I do see that several of the updates for the newer board (Z690 PG Riptide) involve "Intel microcode" or "CPU support" corrections, so perhaps the time for BIOS updates has arrived.

For the Z77 Extreme4, there technically aren't any "real" BIOS updates past the 2.90 version I have installed (this being the Windows 10 machine).  BIOS versions 2.90P and 3.00 for that board are still listed as "Beta" releases, years later, and support has clearly stopped (3.00 Beta being released in May 2018).  But, 3.00 Beta does say "updates CPU microcode", and I don't know what else to try at this point, so may be worth a try.

I'll likely update BIOS on one machine at a time, starting with the Windows 11 one since it has numerous full (vs. Beta) updates available.  I'll see if the Intel BT drivers then behave properly.  Will report back when I have more info.

0 Kudos
Senkuchan
Valued Contributor I

I came across this conversation.

A BIOS update is important if you have a Bluetooth issue like code 43 because it can fix some compatibility or performance issues between your hardware and software. Code 43 is an error that indicates a problem with the device driver of your Bluetooth adapter. It can be caused by a corrupt, outdated, or incompatible driver, a device conflict, or a hardware malfunction.

One of the possible solutions for code 43 is to update the BIOS of your computer, which is the firmware that controls the basic functions of your hardware. A BIOS update can improve the stability, security, and compatibility of your system, and may resolve the Bluetooth issue by enabling some features or settings that are related to the Bluetooth adapter.

They suggested following the steps in this link: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000031150/wireless/wireless-software.html - Codes 10, 22, 28, 31, 43 or 45 Errors in Device Manager for Bluetooth® or Wireless (Wi-Fi) Devices to narrow down the issue. Please note that this is not a random suggestion.

0 Kudos
BobDobbs
New Contributor I

As I expected, the BIOS updates had zero effect on the problem, on both machines.  Drivers still break randomly after a restart.

Nothing suggested here has had the slightest effect, in fact. Including this link:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000031150/wireless/wireless-software.html

To be perfectly clear, I have tried everything there and it has not fixed the problem.

There is a brand new set of Windows updates waiting to be installed.  I don't expect any of it to fix the problem either, but it's time for updates anyway.

This whole thing has been totally ridiculous.  I give up. I ordered a TPLink Bluetooth 5.3 dongle for one machine, and I'll go back to using the Kinvo BTD-400 on the other.  For $12 I have a chance of Bluetooth that actually works.

PS: the collection of Windows updates (some for both Windows 10 and 11) had no effect on problem.

In that vein, how can I totally remove the Intel Bluetooth drivers and disable the Bluetooth side of the AX210 completely? Windows keeps automatically installing a driver for it even when I follow the "clean driver reinstall" procedure, or uninstall it in Device Manager. It seems to be interfering with the Kinivo BT dongle (Broadcom driver).

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Can you not just disable the Intel Wireless Bluetooth device in Device Manager?

...S

BobDobbs
New Contributor I

Tried that earlier on the Windows 10 machine but it didn't seem to work.

Is there some rule that you can only have one Bluetooth adapter on a Windows system?

0 Kudos
Senkuchan
Valued Contributor I
Based on some forums from the microsoft website, Windows only supports one Bluetooth adapter per device. There might be a conflict if you have more than one. You need to disable the old adapter first if you want to replace it with a new one.

Did you reinstall the operating system and still have the same problem? Or did you just change systems? That is very unusual.

@n_scott_pearson, any ideas?
0 Kudos
BobDobbs
New Contributor I

Actually no, I can't disable the device (Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth(R)) in Device Manager on the Windows 10 machine.  "Disable" is simply not there when I right-click on it in Device Manager.

I can disable it on the Windows 11 machine.

Curious.

I gave up on the Windows 10 machine and am doing a full Reset.  It's not my "daily driver" and I was starting to have some other weird behavior anyway (possibly caused by all these constant changes to Bluetooth? dunno). So we'll see if that does anything.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I do know that the Bluetooth software stack can end up in a horrible, mangled state. I once installed a USB Bluetooth dongle that came with its own installationsoftware. When this dongle was broken (hit by an errant chair swing, despite its tiny size), I replaced it with a PCIe card carrier and an AC-9260 card. I could not get Bluetooth to work properly. It installed and worked until I rebooted. I then would uninstall and reinstall the software, only to have it fail again after the next reboot. It was while looking at another unrelated issue that I realized I hadn't uninstalled that dongle's software. I did so and, a reboot later, Bluetooth was working fine. IDK what that software did, but it sure screwed up the stack. BTW, over time, I have upgraded that card to an AX200 and later to an AX210 without issue. I have never seen a problem with the Bluetooth stack since.

Ok, that said, no, I haven't any other thoughts. If you have tried a clean install and you have tried a from-scratch Windows reinstall (not reset; that accomplishes nothing) and the problem hasn't gone away, then I blame the system and its BIOS.

BTW, just to be sure, here is my algorithm for doing a clean install. It needs to be followed exactly; no skipped/modified steps:

1. If you haven't already, download - but do not install just yet - the latest Bluetooth and Wireless driver packages for your adapter. Here are the current links for downloading these drivers: Wireless: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19351 and Bluetooth: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18649.
  2. Most important! Disable Internet access. Unplug Ethernet cable and/or disable wireless. Keep disabled until told to re-enable. Note this Wireless disable *must* be of type that will persist and stay disabled across reboots (I just turn off router).
  3. From the Apps & Features applet, check for instances of Intel PROSet/Wireless Software and Intel Wireless Bluetooth. If none, skip forward to Step 6.
  4. Uninstall each instance of Intel PROSet/Wireless Software and/or Intel Wireless Bluetooth that is present. When prompted, choose to "Discard Settings".
  5. Manually reboot your computer, keeping Internet access disabled throughout.
  6. From the Device Manager applet, check the Network Adapters section for an entry for Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 and check the Bluetooth section for an entry for Intel Wireless Bluetooth that has an Intel driver associated with it. If neither is the case, skip forward to Step 10.
  7. Right click on the entry for Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 and uninstall it, choosing to (checkmark) Delete the driver software for this device.
  8. Right click on the entry for Intel Wireless Bluetooth and open its properties. If it has an Intel driver associated with it, then uninstall it, choosing to (checkmark) Delete the driver software for this device.
  9. Go back to Step 5.
  10. Install the downloaded Bluetooth driver package (my rule: always install Bluetooth first).
  11. Install the downloaded Wireless driver package.
  12. Manually shutdown and reboot your computer.
  13. Reenable Internet access. Restore Ethernet cable and/or reenable wireless.
  14. Test.

Note that it sometimes takes multiple uninstall (and reboot) cycles to clean out the old installations, so don't give up on the process. If you get through say, 10 cycles, stop there and attempt the installation of the latest drivers.

Hope this helps,

...S