Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7367 Discussions

Intel Bluetooth

JJose10
Beginner

Does any Intel Bluetooth adaptor support high quality audio streaming, namely the A2DP profile and aptX codec? (I am surprised that audio streaming protocols are not mentioned in Intel wireless product specifications).

regards

Josef

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Joe43,

Please bear in mind that the Apt-X codec is provided to and supported by the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer). If you don't have it, or it is not working for you, we recommend to contact your computer manufacturer for additional support. Through this link:http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/OEMs.html Computer Manufacturer Support Websites you may find your computer manufacturer contact information.

Let us know if you have any more questions.

Best regards,

Aleki
0 Kudos
JJose10
Beginner

Aleki,

Thanks for your response. I would appreciate if you could clarify something for me -

I have a Lenovo ThinkPad with the Intel Dual Band Wireless adapter AC 7260. I use BT mouse with it, and at the same time BT headphones. Everything works fine.

My headphones are enabled for A2DP profile and aptX codec. But what is actually going on when I listen to a music file?

In order to get the high quality audio that A2DP with aptX codec is capable of delivering, the source - the laptop with Intel adapter - must be A2DP and aptX enabled.

But is it? How can I find out?

You say that I have to ask the OEM (Lenovo) because the aptX codec is provided to them. So what functions are inside of the Intel adapter? Where is the Bluetooth profile (A2DP) and codec (aptX)

applied? Not in the Intel driver/software/firmware? In Windows? Or in a hidden bit of software provided by Lenovo?

Thanks and regards

Josef

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Joe43,

In order to check what profiles are supported. Please take a look at these documentation online: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000006802.html Features for Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software for Bluetooth® Technology

For additional information regarding Bluetooth* technology and our wireless adapter, please check this link as well: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005821.html Frequently Asked Questions about Bluetooth® Technology

As for Apt-X, please contact Lenovo* since they may have applied adaptations to the wireless adapter in order to be fully compatible with this specific system.

Best regards,

Aleki
0 Kudos
JJose10
Beginner

Aleki,

I have done a bit of reading, and the story is that aptX technology is owned by Qualcomm, who bought the original developer, CSR.

So in order to be using aptX codec I must have a bluetooth transceiver with CSR chip and software. Intel adapters don't have them, so I have to buy an aptX enabled USB dongle.

Regards,

Josef

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Joe43,

Thank you for letting us know you have found a solution to the Apt-X Codec. Remember to consult with your computer manufacturer in order to acquire the more information on how to obtain this codec should you prefer to use our adapter directly.

If you need our assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,

Aleki
0 Kudos