Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Intel Centrino Wireless N-2230 under Windows 10 - not recognized, no Wifi

DMeye3
Beginner

I have been struggling for some time with my Wifi adapter (Intel Centrino N-2230) which 'disappeared' after a recent update to Windows 10. Now I have been without Wifi for more than three weeks and I am really anxious to find a solution.

The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 5521, originally running under Windows 8, then upgraded successively to Windows 8.1 and now Windows 10 Home (Creator's update).

During an update of Windows 10 (this was before the update to Creator's) the wireless adapter suddenly became 'invisible', i.e. the computer didn't know anymore that it exists (no reference anywhere to Wifi, for example under 'Network and Internet settings' Wifi doesn't appear as an option, etc.).

In Device manager, the network adapter had also disappeared. I found that it still existed under 'hidden devices', tried several things (uninstal followed by scan for hardware changes; or - following the advice by the (not very useful) Dell customer service - installing Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows® 10 (without any visible effect whatsoever), etc. In between different attempts to find a solution sometimes the device disappeared also from the 'hidden' items of device manager, sometimes came back upon restart, all very erratic.

This morning I gave it another try, uninstalled the 'hidden' device and then reinstalled it using 'instal legacy software' option, but now I get the error message "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)."

Can anybody help? Obviously I'm happy to provide more technical details as needed. Thanks!!

0 Kudos
22 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello dmm,

We understand you're having recognition issues with your Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 2230 ever since you upgraded to Windows® 10.

Please keep in mind this adapter is not Windows® 10 certified, but may work using the inbox drivers provided by Microsoft*, or the latest Windows* 8.1 drivers (these are what's included in the latest PROSet package).

Our best recommendation will be to return to Windows* 8.1, as this is the last operating system fully supported by your adapter. However, we may also recommend a clean "driver only" installation:

1. Download and extract our latest IT Admin driver for your adapter (don't install it yet): https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26657/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-IT-Admins Wireless_19.50.1_Driver64_Win10.zip

2. Under Programs and Features in the Control Panel, uninstall any instance of the "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software." When prompted, choose to "discard settings."

3. Go to the Device Manager > Network Adapters > Right click on your Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless-N 2230 and uninstall it. Make sure to mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device."

4. Clear out your temporary files: Press the Windows* Key + R to open the run box. Type Cleanmgr.exe and press OK. Here you will need to make sure Temporary Files are checked, you may uncheck everything else (unless you're ok with the extra wait) and press OK.

5. Reboot your computer.

6. Go to the Device Manager > Network Adapters > Right click on your Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless-N 2230 again, this time choose to "Update driver software..." > Select the option to "Locate and install driver software manually." Here you will need to direct the wizard to the location where you extracted the IT Admin package back in step one.

Please let us know if this makes any difference.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
DMeye3
Beginner

Dear Carlos,

Thanks so much for your suggestions on how to resolve the issues with my wireless adapter. I followed the steps you had proposed and was very happy when this morning everything seemed to be perfectly ok. The adapter was visible in Device Manager (with the message 'this device is working correctly'), different networks were detected, and I could even use my Bluetooth speakers at the same time, which had always been a problem in the past (either Bluetooth was working and Wifi wasn't, or vice versa).

I rebooted a couple of times, put the computer into standby and woke it up again, and all the time everything seemed to be perfectly ok.

However, my disappointment this evening when I came home from work was immense: I woke up the computer (that I had left in standby, plugged in), and then it was 'no connection to the internet – no networks available'. The adapter had again disappeared from Device manager, but I can see it under 'hidden devices'. It shows the error message: "Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45) To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer."

Any idea what might be going on?? I thought that everything was back to normal and now this…. Back to square zero…

Thanks a lot for your help – please let me know if you need any specific information (logs etc.) to look closer into the problem.

One final comment: There is no way I can go back to Windows 8.1 – first of all, I upgraded a year ago and thus can no longer revert to the previous version, and second I'm quite happy with Windows 10 for the rest (if it weren't for this blasted issue with the wifi). The issue with the wifi adapter only appeared a couple of weeks ago when I did one of the regular updates of Windows 10 (or rather – it was done to me, as one has no control over updates under Windows 10, unfortunately).

Thanks a lot for your help,

Dagmar

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello dmm,

Before we go any further, we'd like to let you know that we've had reports of similar issues being resolved by the latest set of Windows* Updates.

• To check for updates now, select the Start button, and then go to Settings > Update & security > Windows* Update, and select Check for updates. If Windows* Update says your device is up to date, you have all the updates that are currently available.

If your system is fully updated and the issue remains, you may try the following:

NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there. We do not offer support for any third party tool mentioned here.

Please let us know if this resolves the problem.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
DMeye3
Beginner

Dear Carlos,

thanks for your suggestions! Concerning Windows updates, it is actually impossible NOT to get updates automatically installed under Windows 10 Home edition unless you have a metered Internet connection. I have recently upgraded to Windows 10 Creators edition, and given the recent cyber attacks I check for updates every morning before doing anything else (just as an additional precaution). So I can guarantee you that my Windows is completely up-to-date (the problem actually appeared before the upgrade to Creators, but a good while after the move to Windows 10 Anniversary Edition - Wifi was working fine under Windows 10 Anniversary until that one update that killed it - and which I couldn't make undone).

Concerning the BIOS, there again this was the first thing the person from the Dell customer service asked me to do - but I had already done it myself just a few days prior. The latest version of the BIOS for my system appears to be A14 from August 2015.

I will now try the clean installation steps with the new driver - I suspect that it will work immediately after I've done it but the question is whether Wifi will still exist when I come back from work tonight!! I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for all your help,

kind regards,

Dagmar

0 Kudos
DMeye3
Beginner

Dear Carlos,

bad news - I cannot install the new driver as the wifi adapter is nowhere to be found in device manager (not under 'hidden devices' either). When this happened before I could usually get it back by doing a 'cold reboot', i.e. pressing the power button for a few instances until the computer shuts down and then restarting it. But this time this didn't work either (besides, I don't think this is the best way to treat a computer...).

What I do see in device manager (under Network adapters - hidden devices) are several instances of something called 'Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter' (they are numbered # 4, # 5, # 6). I wonder what that is all about? Are these needed, what are they, and are they perhaps interfering with the Intel N-2230 that has disappeared??

Further up there is also Intel Centrino Wireless Bluetooth + High Speed Virtual Adapter which I suppose has nothing to do with wifi (??), and then of course under Bluetooth the Intel Wireless Bluetooth adapter, again unrelated to wifi, I suppose.

Thanks for any suggestions on how to proceed.

Kind regards,

Dagmar

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello dmm,

We don't have any further suggestions at this time. However we're looking into it and will reach out to our additional resources to see what other troubleshooting may be helpful.

Don't worry about those MS virtual adapters, they're used by your operating system for several things such as screen and file sharing over wireless (WiFi Direct*, Miracast*, etc).

If you're able to detect the adapter again in device manager, please let us know your device ID:

1. Open the Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 2230 Properties by double clicking your adapter.
  2. Go to the Details tab.
  3. Under Property select "Hardware Ids."
  4. Provide us the longer of these or a screenshot.

Example:

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
DMeye3
Beginner

Dear Carlos,

thanks for trying to help even if this is all a bit weird! I still cannot see the wifi adapter in Device manager, but I suppose the number you're looking for is the same that is recorded in the Events log? This is what I can find there:

EventData

DeviceInstanceIdPCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0887&SUBSYS_44628086&REV_C4\4&94546EF&0&00E1ClassGuid{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}Problem0x2dStatus0x0

Thanks a lot in advance!

Kind regards,

Dagmar

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello dmm,

Since your adapter still refuses to show up in your Device Manager, there is a change it may actually have failed. If this is the case, you may need to contact your computer manufacturer to purchase a replacement.

Based on your system's support and downloads page, it seems your options will be between the same adapter or the Dell Wireless* 1703, 1704, or 1705 WiFi + Bluetooth adapters. However, your safest bet would be to engage your OEM to find out.

Aside from those, you can always opt to switch over to an USB Wireless-AC adapter. These adapters are really small and affordable now days, the downside being that it will permanently occupy one of your USB slots.

Another thing we could try before giving up altogether would be to perform a system restore to a date when your wireless adapter was working:

1. Back up any important files. While system restore is fairly safe as it only makes changes to your system, not your files, it's always better to be safe than sorry.
  2. Press the Windows* Key + R
  3. Type rstrui.exe and press Enter or OK
  4. Choose a date when your adapter was working, you may need to make sure the option to "show more restore points" is selected. Bear in mind that while your files won't be affected, any program installed after the date selected will be removed.
  5. Confirm that you want to restore your PC. Your system will reboot and take anywhere between 10, 15, or even 30 minutes for the process to complete. After this it will reboot normally.

If a system restore is able to bring your adapter back to life, do let us know, as this would indicate it's a software and not a hardware issue after all.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
DMeye3
Beginner

Dear Carlos,

thanks for all your help with this! I tried to do a system restore immediately after the problem had occurred but it failed (for whatever reason - the system just said 'restore failed'). By now I have upgraded to Windows 10 Creators and I can no longer even try to restore to a point before the incident. So that option is out. Dell Customer Service told me to delete everything (including my own files - after saving them on a hard drive, of course) and do a complete new installation of Windows, but I refuse to do anything so radical with insecure outcome (it would mean losing all the software I have installed etc. and would simply be a real pain in the neck).

I have already considered buying a USB wireless adaptor and so that's what I will do now. And I'll also give it another try getting a new card installed (which failed previously due to 'logistic' issues related to Customer Service I don't want to get into). I'll report back if and when I manage to get the card exchanged, and whether that solves the problem.

Once again, thanks a lot for your help and your patience!

Kind regards,

Dagmar

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello dmm,

We only wish we had more we could do. I suppose we can't fix them all.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Best regard,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
SThag
Beginner

I accidentally deleted C drive important files and lost Intel Wireless N 2230 with Hardware ID:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0887&SUBSYS_44628086&REV_C4

How can I reinstall intel drivers? Tried so much but no any solution. Would you please help me?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello sudip5521,

Please follow the instructions on our https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000022173.html Clean Installation of Wireless Drivers article.

If this does not help, please share screenshots of any errors encountered and/or the report generated by our https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility System Support Utility (scan "everything").

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
SThag
Beginner
0 Kudos
SThag
Beginner

The missing drivers are also shown in windows 10 update but cannot install, Dell system detect and intel driver installation all cannot start, trouble shooting network diagnostic also cannot run.

Please advice.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello sudip5521,

It sounds like your system may be corrupted behond just missing drivers. We can recommend using the reset option or reinstalling your operating system:

- https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options Recovery options in Windows® 10 - from support.microsoft.com (scroll down and expand "Reset your PC").

- https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/home Create Windows® 10 installation media - to reinstall your OS clean.

NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there. We do not offer support for any third party tool mentioned here.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
SThag
Beginner

Thank you Carlos. I created a media and reinstalled windows 10. Now, everything is working fine.

Best Regards,

Sudip.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello sudip5521,

We're very glad to hear! Thanks for keeping us updated.

If there's anything else we can do to help, please let us know.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
JJust2
Beginner

Thanks you Carlos, your first answer was very helpful for me.

Regards

AM81
Beginner

Hi,

I have the exact same problem as dmm described.

I'm without WiFi for more than a week.

I tried what you suggested; However after removing the Intel Centrino driver, I cannot find it anymore under Device Manager.

Do you have any solution?

P.S I'd like to add some details regarding this issue.

When the issue occured, the Centrino adapter kept disappearing and reappearing in the Device Manager occasionally.

I noticed that when it appeared, it said something is wrong with the adapter. Disabling and enabling the adapter sometimes fixed it and I could find WiFi networks again, but I think it broke again after the PC went to sleep or something like that.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello xAviad ,

Depending on your operating system, device manager may hide a device for one of several reasons. Sometimes, this can happen once you've uninstalled it's drivers completely. Other times, it may be a sign of failing hardware or your adapter not sitting properly on it's slot.

You can change an option for Device Manager to show all hidden devices. Although before reinstalling the driver, you may only find it as an unidentified device.

Regardless, you can still move on to the next step down the list at this point. Are you also using Windows® 10, the same as @dmm, or a different version?

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos