Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7646 Discussions

Intel Centurion Advanced-n 6200 AGN update will NOT install - lost wireless internet connection

MMcKe5
Novice

Hello, I went to update the Intel Centurion Advanced-n 6200 AGN via my Device Manager and it found the latest version but failed to install with Code Error 31. The error message said something about the service being used by another service or name or such (can't recall exactly). And now I have no wireless internet connection - my internet connection icon on bottom toolbar shows a monitor with a red x in it and I have no way to connect to any networks.

I am unable to do a system restore or create a restore point...that has been an ongoing issue that I have yet to figure out how to solve.

I am not sure if this has anything to do with it, but a few days ago I received two BSOD's within an hour. I had the minidump report deciphered and it pointed to the Intel Wireless WiFi Link Adapter/Driver (NETw5s32.sys) as the culprit. The first BSOD was "Bad Pool" something or rather and the second one said, "Driver Corrupted Expool". I then went to my Device Manager to see if the Intel Wireless WiFi Link needed an update and it does not show up in my list at all. This may be a secondary issue to the other one mentioned above, but wanted to address that issue as well.

Computer Specs: Windows 7 32-bit

Lenovo ThinkPad T410

Thank you for any help anyone can provide!

Mel

32 Replies
MMcKe5
Novice

Adding to my post above...

I just tried to install the Intel Driver Update Utility 2.0 and it won't install. It just hangs and there is no green color on the status bar that says, "Processing: Initializing".

0 Kudos
AFens
Beginner

1. I ran windows update manually. I had an internet connection because only WIFI was down - but my hardwired connection worked.

2. Downloaded it. Wasn't already on my computer.

3. Intel Driver Update tool installed it.

4. Didn't already have it. I installed it during troubleshooting - but I don't think it helped anything. I uninstalled it.

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Hello Mel27,

Another option is to do a clean installation of the wireless driver. Please follow these steps to remove any previously installed drivers before installing the recommended version.

1- Contact the http://www.intel.com/support/oems.htm PC manufacturer support to download and save their recommended version of Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software. As second option, you can download the generic driver from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/ Intel® Download Center.

2- Go to Control Panel, Programs and Features and Uninstall "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software", *If it is installed.

3- In Control Panel, Device Manager, Network Adapters, right click on the Intel® Centrino® Ultimate-N 6200 and Uninstall it, make sure you mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device".

4- Reboot the PC or scan for hardware changes, check device manager and if an older driver was detected and installed, repeat the actions to uninstall and delete it as well.

5- Repeat steps 3 and 4 until the OS does not allow deleting the driver, or until the controller shows as Unknown Device.

6- Install the Intel® Wireless driver downloaded before. During the first steps of PROSet/Wireless installation, make sure to customize the installation and install all the 3 driver components.

0 Kudos
MMcKe5
Novice

Thanks for your answers Fenstermakera.

Aleki, before I saw your reply I had uninstalled the updated but non-working Intel Centrino device via Device Manager, but I did not check "delete software" (wasn't sure at that time if I was to do that) - the driver then disappeared from my Device Manager list and now what appears is "Network Controller". The properties status shows it needs to be reinstalled with a Code 18. I clicked the reinstall button and it said I already had the best device and it was up to date. Yet it still has the yellow triangle next to it. The version number for the Network Controller is 15.15.0.1

Here is a screen shot of my Device Manager Network Adapters:

So should I follow your steps for the Network Controller instead? Just want to be sure before I go and do that.

As an aside, I can connect to my router directly and have internet that way, but still no wireless.

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Mel27,

Please make sure you uninstalled until Windows* shows no trace of it and then go to your computer manufacturer support page and reinstall the drivers from them.

0 Kudos
MMcKe5
Novice

In following your steps Aleki, I went to Lenovo support site and pulled up the drivers needed for my T410 laptop, but I am not sure which one to download (I am not very "IT savvy"). From the Lenovo Support site I chose from the drop-down menu the 'Networking: Wireless LAN' and up came a few choices for the most recent updates: "Intel WiMAX 6250 AGN" and "Intel Wireless LAN". I assume it's the Intel Wireless LAN, but when I read the description it just says it is a software that enables a list of drivers, none of which are the Intel Centrino Advanced-n 6200. Does this software application find the right drivers for me? It is not called PROset...there is no name on the downloaded .exe file, just a bunch of letters and numbers and the properties say, "For Lenovo Updates Catalog" (I have not installed it yet).

Meanwhile, I actually got my wireless back before I finished your steps. I first uninstalled the PROset Wireless software and then right after I uninstalled the Network Controller device (and had it delete all files), it was now showing up in "Other Devices" so I scanned it for hardware changes and after the Device Manager window flashed a few times I now have the Intel Centrino Advanced-n 6200 back under the Network Adapters (but now it has a # 2 next to it), and it no longer has the yellow triangle in front of it. It says it is working fine in the properties status. However, I decided to try to update it via the Device Manager again just to see if same issue would happen and it tells me it is up to date...but it's not the latest version so not sure why it thinks it is up to date. The version I have is 13.0.0.107. I can continue to follow your steps to get the latest version but like I said I am confused as to what I am to download.

I also noticed a new Network Adapter showing up in the list: "Microsoft Virtual Wifi Miniport Adapter # 2" that wasn't there before. I tried to update it as well (it is dated 2006) via the Device Manager but I got a Red Warning box that said it is not signed or such (it does show Microsoft copyright on the properties though), so I stopped the update install for that and not sure if I should ignore that warning or not.

0 Kudos
AFost2
Novice

Had exactly the same issue(s) on a T410 (PROset already installed too, with newer release number)! Uninstalling PROset Wireless sw release that was NEWER than version bundled with Intel driver download solved the installation issue of the OLDER 6200agn drivers from Intel and now my WiFi functions again.

Someone in the release chain for this MSFT Windows Update release (and Lenovo release, their package failed too...) screwed up in not assuming the PROset package might already be preinstalled on target system at a higher rev level than installation would work with,...

What a Hassle!

I also have Device Manager reporting "Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 AGN # 7" and don't know how to remove # 1-# 6 titles. Several Errors I received in struggling with numerous 6200 update packages indicated something to the effect of 'Name: Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 AGN is already in use'... I would like to know where and how these names are stored so I can remove them.

MMcKe5
Novice

Hi Hardware Junk, Out of curiosity, what version number is your Intel Centrino Advanced-n 6200 # 7? I agree with your assessment about the PROset Wireless software. The version of the PROset Wireless I had was 17.14.0.0. I am not sure if it was updated to that version when I first attempted to update my wifi card via Device Manager or not, but getting rid of it seemed to solve my wifi card issue as mentioned in my previous post. However, I still have the older version of the wifi card and not sure which download from Lenovo to install to get the latest version of the Centrino 6200, which I believe is 15.15.0.1 if I remember correctly.

0 Kudos
AFost2
Novice

My # 7 Centrino (where are the other names stored? I had none when MSFT pushed a bad update...) reports it is running Driver version 14.3.0.6 now dated 10/27/2011 and provided by Intel. I am not going to mess with any release from MSFT for a few months at lease, but I believe this is the Intel driver finder provided version. I also tried the Lenovo downloads, before I read your helpful post to uninstall ProSet first. I don't know if Lenovo package works. It was dated pretty recently as I remember and they historically have been pretty good in the past at only putting out proper driver updates at Lenovo site.

I don't have previous ProSet installed any more but it was a 17.something revision, I believe, that I had to remove. I had downloaded a ProSet update directly from Intel approx 6-9 months ago when I was doing some work on a WiFi mouse direct connection to my system with intel's "my wifi" tool.

Good Luck, and I hope someone in the QA departments at Intel and at Microsoft looks at where they failed with this release. It's really poor form for both companies to have let this happen. Since I plan to ditch Microsoft OS after Win7 I don't really care about them but Intel should get its act together. Win9 (10) is going to be just as horrible as Win8 and 8.1, too bad they didn't just spent the money and time to make a clean, secure, release of their old and "new" OS's. But hey, Win 7 has been out how many years and it still doesn't quite work right. I guess MSFT will never change, spaghetti code forever! Balmer really led them down a path of no return.

0 Kudos
AFost2
Novice

Had exactly the same issue(s) on a T410 (PROset already installed too, with newer release number)! Uninstalling PROset Wireless sw release that was NEWER than version bundled with Intel driver download solved the installation issue of the OLDER 6200agn drivers from Intel and now my WiFi functions again.

Someone in the release chain for this MSFT Windows Update release (and Lenovo release, their package failed too...) screwed up in not assuming the PROset package might already be preinstalled on target system at a higher rev level than installation would work with,...

What a Hassle!

I also have Device Manager reporting "Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 AGN # 7" and don't know how to remove # 1-# 6 titles. Several Errors I received in struggling with numerous 6200 update packages indicated something to the effect of 'Name: Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 AGN is already in use'... I would like to know where and how these names are stored so I can remove them.

MMcKe5
Novice

Hi Hardware Junk, Out of curiosity, what version number is your Intel Centrino Advanced-n 6200 # 7? I agree with your assessment about the PROset Wireless software. The version of the PROset Wireless I had was 17.14.0.0. I am not sure if it was updated to that version when I first attempted to update my wifi card via Device Manager or not, but getting rid of it seemed to solve my wifi card issue as mentioned in my previous post. However, I still have the older version of the wifi card and not sure which download from Lenovo to install to get the latest version of the Centrino 6200, which I believe is 15.15.0.1 if I remember correctly.

0 Kudos
AFost2
Novice

My # 7 Centrino (where are the other names stored? I had none when MSFT pushed a bad update...) reports it is running Driver version 14.3.0.6 now dated 10/27/2011 and provided by Intel. I am not going to mess with any release from MSFT for a few months at lease, but I believe this is the Intel driver finder provided version. I also tried the Lenovo downloads, before I read your helpful post to uninstall ProSet first. I don't know if Lenovo package works. It was dated pretty recently as I remember and they historically have been pretty good in the past at only putting out proper driver updates at Lenovo site.

I don't have previous ProSet installed any more but it was a 17.something revision, I believe, that I had to remove. I had downloaded a ProSet update directly from Intel approx 6-9 months ago when I was doing some work on a WiFi mouse direct connection to my system with intel's "my wifi" tool.

Good Luck, and I hope someone in the QA departments at Intel and at Microsoft looks at where they failed with this release. It's really poor form for both companies to have let this happen. Since I plan to ditch Microsoft OS after Win7 I don't really care about them but Intel should get its act together. Win9 (10) is going to be just as horrible as Win8 and 8.1, too bad they didn't just spent the money and time to make a clean, secure, release of their old and "new" OS's. But hey, Win 7 has been out how many years and it still doesn't quite work right. I guess MSFT will never change, spaghetti code forever! Balmer really led them down a path of no return.

0 Kudos