Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7367 Discussions

Intel Driver and Support Assistant not detecting updates for AX201

Vic-18031
Beginner

Intel Driver and Support Assistant v21.1.05.2 is not detecting newer drivers for the Intel WiFi 6 AX201 160MHz wireless card.  It does show the card and the installed driver; however, it is not checking the AX201 against Intel drivers.

I have attached the devices.xml from c:\programdata\intel\dsa\logs\service\

DSA did notify and download 22.40.0.2 for Intel Wireless BT.  I know the Wireless BT is paired with Intel WiFi drivers so I downloaded and installed Intel WiFi 22.40.0.7 manually.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
DavidO_Intel

Hello All,

Intel DSA should now be detecting updates for the CNVi Wireless card.  

Thanks

David 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
27 Replies
Victor_G_Intel

Hello Vic-18031,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

To better assist, please provide the following report and information to continue.

Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU)

Download link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support Utility-for-Windows-

• Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information
  • By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".  
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".  

Note: You can use the option under the reply window to attach the report and any other files to the thread (Drag and drop here or browse files to attach).

• What browsers have you tested our driver assistant with?
  • Did you try to uninstall the driver assistant and then reinstall it from scratch?
  • Have you had this problem before with previous versions of the assistant or did start happening as soon as you updated it to version: 21.1.5.2?
  • Do you have any other driver assistants installed besides ours?
  • If you run the assistant now, after you installed both updates manually does it recognize that you are now up to date?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Victor G.

Intel Technical Support Technician  

0 Kudos
Vic-18031
Beginner

Hi Victor G.

I have also tried with Edge.  I do not have Chrome installed yet.  This is a brand new desktop that was just received within the last month.

I have only tried with DSA v21.1.5.2.   I did do a clean uninstall; including removing \ProgramData\Intel\DSA and then install again.  This did not change the results.

There are no other assistants installed.  At this point there is barely anything installed on this system besides the OS; system drivers, VIPRE Advanced Security, PowerChute software for the UPS, Firefox and Dropbox.

The same behavior occurred after the uninstall/reinstall.

I did a web capture with Edge.  You can see that the green check for "up to date" is present for only Intel Wireless Bluetooth and Intel NVMe Controller.  There is nothing after Intel WiFi 6 AX201 160 MHz.

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello Vic-18031,

We appreciate the information provided. What we can see in the report is that effectively your system is up to date when it comes to the adapter’s driver; however, you need to bear in mind that when you use the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant (Intel® DSA) on a third-party system that has its own customized structure of drivers, it can end up having unforeseen issues such as the one that you’ve experienced; consequently, our strongest recommendation will be to either continue using our assistant to update the drivers, having in mind of course that, this issues may occur and you might need to complete a manual installation for some of the drivers or you can just use our assistant to detect what needs to be updated, and after that, you can use HP’s assistant to either update everything with their customized drivers or you can complete a manual installation of the needed driver by getting the right file out of HP’s website.

Also, please take into account that our assistant only detects graphic drivers, wireless networking, wired networking, chipset INF, Intel® NUC, Intel® Compute Stick, Intel® Compute Card, and Intel SSDs, anything outside that spectrum should only be updated with files and instructions coming from the manufacturer of the laptop, besides that, any problem with our generic drivers can be fixed by installing the same version of the driver but customized by HP, for further information and availability on any customized drivers you can contact them directly.

Regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello Vic-18031,

Were you able to check the previous post?  

Please let me know if you need further assistance.  

Best regards,

Victor G. 

0 Kudos
Vic-18031
Beginner

Hi Victor_G;

Yes I read your previous reply.  Thanks for your help.  Intel DSA updated to 21.2.13.9 today; however, detection remains the same.

I understand what you are saying.  It's still odd to me though.  HP drivers are usually at least one rev behind the latest.  I am using the Intel drivers and DSA can detect for Wireless Bluetooth which comes from the same AX201 card.  Either way; I do know that when one is updated it's very likely that the other one is as well.  I can manage the updates by using DSA and manual when detection fails. 

Both the WiFi 6 AX201 and Wireless Bluetooth drivers can be accessed from the same page.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/130293/Intel-Wi-Fi-6-AX201-Gig-

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello Vic-18031, 

Thank you for the update, I just want to confirm the following since I would like to check if you need further assistance:

1. Were you able to install the Wi-Fi drivers? And, was it manually or through the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant (Intel® DSA)?

2. Do you still see that only the Bluetooth drivers are updated in the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant (Intel® DSA)?

3. Have you check with the laptop manufacturer to confirm that you are using the right drivers? Even if are old, maybe the ones that work better for your unit based on the manufacturer.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
Vic-18031
Beginner

Hi DeividA-Intel,

1.  The WiFi 6 AX201 160 MHz drivers have never installed through DSA.  The Wireless Bluetooth drivers have always installed through DSA.  Since I've had this desktop I have manually downloaded and installed WiFi 22.20, 22.30 and 22.40 versions.

2.  Yes.  I continue to see only the Wireless Bluetooth updating through DSA.  WiFi 6 AX201 is treated as though it is not eligible for checking or updating through DSA.

3.  I have no issues on this desktop with either wireless or bluetooth.  The Intel drivers are working flawlessly.

This is an HP desktop.  As such it comes with HP Support Assistant which also checks and updated drivers for the system.  Apparently the 22.40. WiFi driver was the HP version and was installed by HP Support Assistant prior to my running DSA.  I'm now thinking that may be what is causing the behavior I am seeing.

The HP version of the Bluetooth Wireless is only at 22.20; while I have probably been staying ahead of HP by using DSA.

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello Vic-18031,

We appreciate the information you have provided and we would like to recommend the following so we can investigate this a little bit further:

• Clear browser’s cache
  • Run the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant Uninstaller version 21.2.13.9.
  • Restart and run the latest Intel® Driver & Support Assistant tool version 21.2.13.9.

If the issue persists, please attach the following log files:

• The latest Intel® Driver & Support Assistant Uninstaller log file: using File Explorer, search for DSAUninstaller.log
  • The latest Intel® Driver & Support Assistant log files: using File Explorer: go to folder = C:\ProgramData\Intel\DSA, and zip the Log files or entire folder.

Note: Uncheck Hide System files to see the AppData folder.

Show hidden files

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14201/windows-show-hidden-files

Regards,

Victor G.

*Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel or any of its products is implied.

0 Kudos
Vic-18031
Beginner

Hi Victor_G,

Thank you for additional followup.  I cleared the Firefox cache; uninstalled with the 21.2.13.9 unintaller; restarted; installed DSA 21.2.13.9; and ran DSA.

Same results.

Logs from the uninstall, install and the \ProgramData\Intel\DSA directory are zipped and attached.

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello Vic-18031,

We appreciate your patience and the logs provided. We will investigate this issue further on our end, and we will update the thread as soon as possible.

Regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello Vic-18031,

Thank you for your patience.

In order for us to investigate this issue further we are going to need the following information:

1. Before you installed our generic driver, did you perform a clean installation of the OEM's drivers?

• In case you didn’t, you can proceed with following the instructions to do it and after that is done, you can install our latest generic driver, once the system only has ours please proceed with checking your system with the IDSA to see if it detects that you are now up to date.

1. If the issue persists, please use the same instructions and install the previous version we have available, and rescan with IDSA to see if the tool recognizes that you need the update.

• If any of the above options work, please provide new IDSA logs and another SSU report so we can investigate this issue further.

Note: After you download the drivers, disconnect from the internet so the operating system doesn’t trigger an automatic update while you are following the instructions.

Regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
Vic-18031
Beginner

Hi Victor_G,

It may take me a few days to get through those steps.  I have some work to finish first on the desktop.  I also want to make a full image before I start; that enables me to get back to the same starting point should something awful happen.

Your point about disconnecting from the internet after I download the latest OEM driver and the last two Intel WiFi drivers gives me some questions.

I do not connect over Ethernet; I connect my desktop over wireless.  When I restart my desktop after uninstalling the wireless network adapter and drivers the system will recreate the adapter.  It will also still have the wireless configuration; so won't it automatically load default drivers from Windows and connect?

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @Vic-18031 

Disconnect the WiFi connection in trough Windows Settings Network & Internet > Wi-Fi. In addition, usually in laptop there is keyboard key on keyboard to disconnect the WiFi connection.

Leon

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello Vic-18031,

Don’t worry about the time we will be reaching you back with a couple of separate follow-ups in case we don’t hear from you. With the clean installation instructions what you will be doing will be getting rid of all the old drivers stored in the system both Generic and OEM if they are any of course. Normally the system will always have some sort of default Windows driver but if you disable your connection before uninstalling the driver you should be able to follow the instructions without having any connection, besides that you can always disable automatic updates from windows by following these instructions, this configuration should remain after rebooting the system.

Regards,

Victor G.

*Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel or any of its products is implied.  

0 Kudos
Vic-18031
Beginner

not going very well.

first I attempted the clean install using Device Manager; uninstall and delete the driver software.  Prior to starting I went into Settings_Network & Internet_WiFi and turned off the adapter.  The uninstall started and never ended.  After 30 minutes I restarted the computer.  Upon restart the AX201 was turned back on and fully functional with 20.40.0.7.  The AX201 never disappeared from the device manager list and the uninstall never completed.

I tried the same steps again without first turning off the adapter.  the same results.

Then i tried to install the Intel 20.30.0.11 driver; however, the install detected a newer driver and refused to continue.

My firewall/AV software installs additional network adapters and HP shipped with an ExpressVPN adapter installed as well.  Not sure if any of that is impacting the clean install.

I knop

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello Vic-18031,

What we consider might be happening is that when it comes to OEM systems such as yours the idea of them having generic drivers is not a thing fully accepted by the system, sometimes is hard to uninstall all the drivers stored and avoid an automatic update, mostly because Windows sometimes will always want to push forward and automatic OEM update.

Can you please try following the instructions without rebooting the computer?

Can you also please confirm if this AX201 came originally integrated with the computer or did you change the original adapter for this one? If you did change it, please provide the original model.

Regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
Vic-18031
Beginner

On the plus side I have had no issues with wireless and bluetooth connectivity.  the AX201 is working flawlessly as far as I can tell.

I have followed the manual install  (without rebooting) of the Intel WiFi 6 drivers multiple times.  The most recent time was just before my previous reply.

The desktop was ordered and delivered with an Intel AX201.  There was a issue that prompted me to send the desktop back to HP.  They pulled the AX201 and installed a Realtek wireless card.  When I received it post repair, I had to send it back a second time to get the AX201 reinstalled.   After receiving it back the second time I found the uninstall program for the Realtek wireless drivers and ran it.

I'm not 100% sure; however, I think I was having the same DSA issue prior to sending the desktop to HP the first time.

At this point I am thinking that I will use the DSA notification that Wireless Bluetooth has an update to also manually download and update WiFi 6.  Unless you have additional thoughts.

For what it's worth, I also have an HP Spectre x360 laptop with an AX200 and moved to the Intel generic WiFi and Wireless Bluetooth drivers without an bumps in the road.  On that system DSA works as expected.

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello Vic-18031,

If you don’t mind continuing the updates manually you can do so, what we were after besides helping you get the tool to work, was understanding why is it behaving like that, mostly because even though we are aware of its behavior on third-party systems these cases are always a window for improvement, and yes the behaviors on third party systems are sometimes unpredictable; however, we would like to confirm with you that the system didn’t allow you to install the previous generic driver, nor complete the clean installation process all the way to the end? If you were at least allowed by the system to complete the clean installation and the IDSA continues to behave like that you have two options, you can wait for a new update to come out and try it out to see if it behaves in a different way or you can continue using it to detect the updates that it can detect and complete them through it, and do the ones is not getting detected manually.

Note: If you were able to complete both processes please provide the necessary logs to continue.

Regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
Vic-18031
Beginner

Hi Victor_G,

I am very appreciative of your efforts and I would like to help further them along,.  I tried again today to do the clean installation of the wireless drivers.

Today when I selected uninstall device as well as delete driver software for this device the device was completely removed from Device Manger in one shot. 

The instructions then say to restart the computer.  When I did, I then checked the wireless device in Device Manager after the restart.  It was there (AX201) and the driver was 22.40.0.7.   However, I am not sure if that is the HP version or the Intel version.  Nor why it was there is I checked delete driver software.

I know that something was changed though because I had to enter my wireless password before the AX201 would connect to my SSID.

I did these steps a few times.  First following the restart with install of HP's latest wireless (which is 22.40.0.7) and then the Intel 22.40.0.7.  Second with just the Intel 22.40.0.7.  Third with an attempt to install Intel 22.30.0.11 (which was blocked due to newer drivers being installed).

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello Vic-18031,

We will investigate this further on our end and we will reach you back as soon as possible.

Regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos