Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7425 Discussions

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160 : Code 10 (Device failed to start)

SoulOnceLost
Beginner

I have an HP 15 bs164tu into which I put a FRU 04X6076 AC 3160 pulled from an old Lenovo z51-70 I had lying around. I have tried all the drivers I could find, none seem to work. I even tried a fresh install of Windows 8.1 and 10 1507, same error.

The weird thing is that the WLAN adapter worked flawlessly in my Arch Linux install without any setup needed. So the hardware is definitely not the issue. HP diagnostics also sees no problem with the WLAN adapter. Could this be some kind of vendor lock on OS level, seeing as the adapter is a Lenovo spare part? Any hope of ever getting this to work? I've already wasted 3 days on this to no avail.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello SoulOnceLost,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

I would like to let you know that laptops are meant to work with the components that were original installed, this is because the BIOS and drivers are customized for each component on the system, and replace any of these components may or not work due to a BIOS or operating system compatibility/limitation.

In order to help you, please try the following driver for your Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160:

- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28817/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Intel-Dual-Band-Wireless-AC-3160

Bear in mind that Intel does not support integrations, due to the reason previously explained. If you tried all drivers and Operating system updates, at this point the best action to take would be to check with HP for drivers and/or instructions to make this integration work since they have to validate that their BIOS is compatible with this wireless adapter.

Regards,    

Deivid A. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos