Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7723 Discussions

Intel Dual Band Wireless AC-3160 drivers

nice1488
Novice
I bought a LG 24V360 computer a while ago and a few days ago I formatted it for some problems, I installed the drivers but I can't find anything about Intel Dual Band Wireless AC-3160 drivers for Windows 10 and I found that it is discontinued, what can I do?
259 Replies
kjl
Beginner

Please send latest driver, so I can have wifi again.

Thank you

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

@kjl and @Mike-Ireland,

I have sent you both a download link via the Communities Private Message (PM) service. For your message, check your PM inbox. Click on your avatar picture in the top right corner of the page (in the blue Communities banner) and then select Messages from the resulting menu.
...S

P.S. You are the 364th and 365th WLAN Driver requestors since Jan. 6th.

Dear_Windy
Beginner

@n_scott_pearson Oh kind sir, I, like a years worth of folks before me, am so happy to have found you. I wonder how many folks recently took advantage of a deal on a Wifi 6 mesh system and discovered they suddenly had no internet and then wondered down the rabbit hole that eventually led us all here. May I please have the link as well? You have my eternal gratitude.

0 Kudos
UbyDuby
Beginner

Hi Scott! Could you please send me the file also? I am another user with Wifi 6 problem. I can´t understand why Intel removed the file from Download Center

Thanks you in advance!!

0 Kudos
Mike-Ireland
Novice

Scott

Thank you. I can confirm that I was able to update the driver and I can now access the WiFi 6 Eero router. Previously this did not show. It looks like I am accessing the Wifi 5 channel. But this is fine! 

I appreciate your help.

Best wishes from a cold and very wet Ireland!

Mike

0 Kudos
UbyDuby
Beginner

@n_scott_pearson 

Hi Scott! Could you please send me the file also? I am another user with Wifi 6 problem. I can´t understand why Intel removed the file from Download Center

Thanks you in advance!

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

@Dear_Windy and @UbyDuby,

I have sent you both a download link via the Communities Private Message (PM) service. For your message, check your PM inbox. Click on your avatar picture in the top right corner of the page (in the blue Communities banner) and then select Messages from the resulting menu.
...S

P.S. You are the 366th and 367th WLAN Driver requestors since Jan. 6th.

0 Kudos
UbyDuby
Beginner

Fixed the Wi-Fi available list. Now, I can see and connect to my SSID on Wifi 6. AC7260 is working like a charm, sadly AC3160 is connecting but just receiving limited speed (it happened the same with the previous driver on Wifi 5, at least I can connect on Wifi 6 with your driver!!)

Line 600/100

Asus laptop AC7260 => 590/130

MSI laptop AC3160 => 100/130

Thank you very much, Scott!!!

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Since the one driver supports both the 7260 and 3160 product families and you don't see this problem with the 7260, I would conclude that it's the card that is the problem, not the driver. 

If you are going to continue using these older laptops, you might want to invest in newer cards...

Before anything else, a warning: Since you are using older laptops, I must warn you that some manufacturers implement Inclusion/Exclusion lists in their BIOS that will prevent you from upgrading yourself. If this is the case, you can only purchase upgrades through the laptop manufacturer – and usually on an outrageous cost-plus basis.

There are several cards that you could use if Wireless-AC and WiFi 5 capabilities are considered good enough. Since the cards cost roughly the same, however, I recommend upgrading to the latest Wireless-AX and WiFi 6/6e capabilities. To upgrade to the latest Wireless-AX and WiFi 6 support, you need an AX200 module. For Wireless-AX and WiFi 6e (which supports the 6GHz band), you need an AX210 module. 

An important question: Do you have a NGW card or do you have a HMW card? That is, does your card look like this:

n_scott_pearson_0-1690487239428.png(7260NGW)

Or does it look like this:

n_scott_pearson_1-1690487258319.png(7260HMW)

If you have a NGW card, you can purchase a replacement card manufactured by Intel for ~US$20. Here are examples:

If, on the other hand, you have a HMW card, there is a small problem: Intel does not manufacture cards in this older formfactor any longer. All is not lost, however; there are 3rd-party companies that take the Intel silicon and mount it onto the older formfactor cards. These cards utilize the exact same drivers as the NGW cards from Intel, downloaded (yourself) from the Intel Download Center, so nothing sketchy here. These cards are slightly more expensive than the Intel NGW cards, however: ~US$30 (due to smaller sales volumes, I think). Here are examples:

These HMW cards are examples only; the ones that I actually purchased and tested are from a company named Fenvi, who doesn't seem to offer card-level products through Amazon (I purchased mine through NewEgg).

Hope this helps,

...S

Tytris
Beginner

Hello Scott,

Sorry for the semi necro reply, would I be able to also get a link for the driver download. It is the last straw before replacing this 3160 with something else entirely.

Thanks,

Another Scott LOL

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

@Tytris,

I have sent you a download link via the Communities Private Message (PM) service. For this message, check your PM inbox. Click on your avatar picture in the top right corner of the page (in the blue Communities banner) and then select Messages from the resulting menu.

...S

P.S. You are the 371st WLAN Driver requestor since Jan. 6th.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Yea, best you are going to be able to do with this card is a WiFi 5 connection. Still, if this is working at a reasonable rate, you should be all set to putter along until you decide the whole thing needs to be upgraded.

...S

0 Kudos
Mike-Ireland
Novice

I am pleased that I can still use this old laptop now so delighted with WiFi 5.

I suspect that it would be difficult to get a card that would be compatible with my old Dell Inspiron 15 5000 series ( the one with the hard drive and no internal SSD).

However really happy to take your advice if you can recommend a newer card.

Thank you again for providing access to the driver. You have saved me from buying a new laptop that I  do not really need!

Mike

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

@Mike-Ireland - my advice is detailed above (see 7/27/23 post). Physically, unless Dell permanently soldered the silicon to their motherboard, you should be able to install a replacement card. The big question is whether Dell pulled a slimy move and blocked upgrades using an Inclusion/Exclusion list in their BIOS. This I can't answer - and Dell support likely will play dumb.

...S

Mike-Ireland
Novice

Thank you. I will try over the next couple of months and come back to the forum to report.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

@LIGREENIZS,

I have sent you a download link via the Communities Private Message (PM) service. For this message, check your PM inbox. Click on your avatar picture in the top right corner of the page (in the blue Communities banner) and then select Messages from the resulting menu.
...S

P.S. You are the 374th WLAN Driver requestor since Jan. 6th.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I have been doling out the drivers to one user at a time, so that I could collect user information to use in my argument that the files need to be reposted. I am at the point of giving up, however. Intel is saying that there is a security risk associated with reposting the drivers and that Intel Legal is simply not going to allow it.

So, I am providing a share link here that will allow anyone to pull the final file releases for the various discontinued Wireless Adapters that I had archived: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AtacZBU04mo-j-tQ34BdSDv6y1BFsg?e=7gn50T. Where possible, I have included the original Release Note files; where not possible, I have created Release Note files with what information I have access to.

If someone wants to take these files and put them on a file sharing service, go for it. Let me know where they are available and I will remove them from my share.

...S

Wireless_work
Beginner

Thank-you so much Scott! You're the best

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Look at my ‎08-03-2023 post.

...S

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User