Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7425 Discussions

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165

Descendant2289
Beginner

Hello everyone.

I am having problems with Wireless-AC 3165. It doesn't work properly with some Wi-Fi connections. I have three at home, and it doesn't work with two of them. Other devices work with all three perfectly fine. All the newest updates have been installed, and I've exhausted all the advice that the router support service has given me. If you need specific details about my laptop, please inform me. Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Descendant2289, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

What is the model of the motherboard?

If this is a laptop, what is the model of it?

What is the model of the Routers or Access Points?

Is this a new computer?

Was it working fine before?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes?

The wireless card, did you purchased it separately or did it came installed on the computer?

When did the issue start?

Which Windows* version are you using?

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
Descendant2289
Beginner

Hello Alberto

Thank you for your prompt reaction.

On your questions:

1. The motherboard model info is unavailable.

2. The laptop is Chuwi Lapbook Plus.

3. The router is Huawei B315s.

4. This is a new computer (i. e. it's only had one user - the current one).

5. The Wi-Fi connection worked with the previous router (ADSL Wi-Fi), but doesn't work with this new one (4G Wi-Fi). What's more troubling, it's also stopped working with another connection which had functioned properly for some time (smartphone Wi-Fi hotspot). So now only one option remains (another smartphone Wi-Fi hotspot).

6. No hardware or software changes had been made before the problem arose. Obviously, there have been some after the fact, such as driver updates, Windows updates, and a BIOS update.

7. The wireless card came with the laptop.

8. The issue with the 4G Wi-Fi router started from the very beginning (i. e. when we started using the router), and the issue with the smartphone Wi-Fi hotspot appeared about two weeks ago.

9. The Windows version is Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 18363) (18362.19h1_release.190318-1202).

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Descendant2289, Thank you very much for providing that information.

We always recommend to install the Wireless driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was heavily customized by them work with your specific platform.

I looked for Chuwi Lapbook Plus drivers to download but I was not able to find their official web site, what is the Wireless driver version currently installed in your platform?

I found a forum site from Chuwi on how to fix bugs in Wireless drivers:

https://forum.chuwi.com/t/topic/1111

The latest Intel® Wireless driver version for the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 available in our web site is version 18.33.17.1, we can try a clean installation of that driver, once you get the chance please let us know the results:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28817/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Intel-Dual-Band-Wireless-AC-3160?product=75442 

Additionally, did you get in contact directly with the manufacturer of the Router to make sure the optimal configuration is selected on the Router settings and that it is fully compatible with the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 card?

https://consumer.huawei.com/en/contact-us/

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Descendant2289
Beginner

>>>

The latest Intel® Wireless driver version for the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 available in our web site is version 18.33.17.1, we can try a clean installation of that driver, once you get the chance please let us know the results:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/network-and-i-o/wireless-networki...

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28817/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Intel...

My driver is 19.51.29.1, which I asssume is a fresher version. Is there a rationale behind getting back to an earlier version?

As for the Chuwi forum, I've updated the BIOS already, and I can't make any sense of the drivers because it's just an archive with no instructions.

0 Kudos
JuanCoteracastro
Beginner

Me sucede lo mismo, en mi caso tengo una computadora portatil:

LENOVO IDEAPAD 330

El controlador del  Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165, se actualizó y ahora me pasa lo mismo que a ti, el wifi se me desconecta a cada momento, antes de la actualización todo estaba perfectamente. 

Pero un dato curioso, tengo internet wifi de un Huawei B310, tambien de un chip 4G. pero hasta el 11/08/2020 todo iba muy bien.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Descendant2289, Thank you very much for sharing those details.

In reference to your question, the reason why we recommend to install Intel® Wireless driver version 18.33.17.1 is because that driver contains all the customizations done by Chuwi to work with their platform, the Intel® Wireless drivers are generic, meaning they might or might not work with your system, that is the main reason why we always suggest to install the drivers provided by the manufacturer of the computer.

Now, even though the computer is brand new, the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 card is not that new, it was released back in Q3'14, as you can confirm in the following link:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/89450/intel-dual-band-wireless-ac-3165.html

Also, based on that reason, there might be a compatibility problem with newer Routers like for example the (4G Wi-Fi). 

So, for this scenario, what we recommend is to get in contact directly with Huawei to verify the Router settings and also with Chuwi directly to do the same thing, to verify if they can recommend the optimal settings configuration for the computer to work with that Router.

Keep in mind that there could be a hardware issue with the Intel® Wireless card itself, and in that case, you can always contact Chuwi directly to check if they can do a physical inspection of the laptop and to verify their warranty options.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Descendant2289
Beginner

Thank you for the advice. I've tried the proposed method, but the driver in the link you gave turned out to be version 19.51.27.1, and not 18.33.17.1. There was no change in the connection situation.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Descendant2289, Thank you very much for providing those updates.

In reference to the driver version, yes, the Wireless package version is 19.51.27.1, but the Wireless driver version specifically for your Intel® Wireless card is 18.33.17.1, as you can confirm in the link to download the driver or in the released notes.

At this point, since the Wireless connection worked with no problems with a previous Router, we still recommend to get in contact directly with Huawei to make sure the Router is fully compatible with theIntel® Wireless card, a firmware update of the Router might be needed and they will be able to confirm those details.

Also, the other option will be to get in contact directly with Chuwi to verify if they can do a physical inspection of the computer to maybe re-seat the card and to confirm if there might be a hardware problem either with the Wireless card or with the laptop itself.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos