Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7366 Discussions

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 Connection Problems

GGiba
Beginner

I have a ASUS N550JK laptop that uses the Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 adapter. I'm using Windows 10 Version 1909. I have been having problems losing my internet connection for sometime. I usually run the Windows network troubleshooter, and it resets the wireless adapter, which fixes the problem. Yesterday and today I lost the connection, and the troubleshooter didn't fix the problem. Yesterday I rebooted the laptop to regain internet connectivity, and today I turned on Airplane Mode and turned it off and the laptop automatically connected to the internet. I ran the Intel Driver and Support Assistant, and it only found a driver update for my graphics card. I'm beginning to think the AC 7260 adapter is going bad, but there may be a different problem. I've run the WLAN report and attached it in hopes that it may show something. Is there anything else that can be done to determine why I have to keep resetting the wireless adapter?

0 Kudos
18 Replies
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello GGiba,

Thank you for posting your question on this Intel® Community.

To better assist you, we would like to have more information about your system configuration.

• Generate a system report with the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report to this thread.

1. Intel® SSU Download link
  2. Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".
  3. Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  4. To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".

• Is this the original adapter that came pre-installed in your system?
  • Has anything changed on the computer since that time? For example, has the access point or environment changed?

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
GGiba
Beginner

This is the original adapter for this PC. I haven't installed any new hardware that I can think of since I bought the computer. I have used 3-4 routers since getting the computer. I have two NASs and I use a number of external hard drives with the computer. The problem occurred before getting the current router and continues to occur. It isn't a daily problem, but I've had days where it has occurred more than once.

Attached is the SSU report.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello GGiba,

Thank you for your response.

According to the report, the BIOS firmware and the wireless drivers are outdated. Our first recommendation is that you contact your system manufacturer to obtain more information about BIOS version 210. In this way, you can receive step-by-step instructions on this update since the current BIOS firmware installed on your computer was released in 2014. According to their website, it optimizes system performance.

Also, the Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Intel® Wireless 7260 is not up to date. We recommend that you perform a clean installation of the wireless drivers for both Bluetooth and Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers.

Clean Installation of Wireless Drivers

Step 1: Get the latest system-specific driver from your computer manufacturer support.

Step 2: Uninstall your Wi-Fi driver.

Windows* may have an inbox Wi-Fi driver for your wireless adapter. You can't uninstall an inbox driver (you won't see the "Delete the driver software for this device" option). Proceed to the next step if you start seeing the same version of the driver installed automatically after it’s uninstalled.

1. Go to Device Manager.
  2. Expand the Network Adapters category.
  3. Right-click your Intel Wireless Adapter/Bluetooth and choose to uninstall it.
  4. Make sure to select the option to Delete the driver software for this device.
  5. Restart your computer.

Step 3: Driver installation.

Locate the driver you downloaded back in Step 1. Run as administrator, and follow the wizard to completion.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
GGiba
Beginner

Wanner G,

At the ASUS site I see the BIOS update for version 210, but I see no available driver updates for the wireless 7260 or Bluetooth. The only ones I can find are the ones that you provided links to. If you found drivers for my ASUS N550JK model at the ASUS support site, please give me further information.

Gary

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello GGiba,

We were not able to find customized drivers for your computer. Our recommendation is that you contact ASUS support to obtain more information about these drivers.

Please try to install the generic drivers available at https://downloadcenter.intel.com/.

Please let us know if the issue persists.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello GGiba,

Were you able to review the recommendations provided?

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
GGiba
Beginner

I have contacted ASUS to see if they have a recommendation and I'm awaiting their response.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello GGiba,

Thank you for the update.

Please let us know if you are able to obtain a customized driver from your computer vendor.

You can also try to install the generic driver and test the performance of your computer.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
GGiba
Beginner

Hi Wanner G,

ASUS wanted me to try to upgrade the wireless adapter driver using instructions similar to your step 2 above. The next step was to reset the BIOS to default settings. I followed their instructions for the adapter driver, and it installed the same driver version. I asked about installing BIOS 210 instead of resetting 207, and their reply is below.

I will recommend resetting the BIOS first with version 207. If there isn't any problem with the device, usually, a BIOS update is not recommended, however, you may use the steps below to update the BIOS. 

Unfortunately, ASUS doesn't assist with this or any other form of system modification. Before you begin, a quick disclaimer as a bad update on the UEFI BIOS does come with the risk of bricking the motherboard if the process is done incorrectly. ASUS does not take any responsibility for bricked motherboards as a result of this. Please visit the link below for steps regarding a BIOS update, otherwise, I recommend consulting a certified technician.

I will reset the BIOS to the default settings and will monitor. If there is no improvement, I'll try the generic driver you mentioned. Last week the wireless adapter was reset twice to regain my internet connection. Maybe reinstall of the driver has helped.

Gary

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Just a comment from the sidelines - ASUS is not doing you any favors. Or, maybe I have been spoiled by the Intel bios update process.

Doc

0 Kudos
GGiba
Beginner

Understood. I did a bios update on my wife's Dell about a year ago, and the process was simple.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I just wonder about ASUS' position on processor microcode updates. and how they expect their users to upgrade to newer processors if they do not want the user to touch the bios. And, if the bios has fixes, how is the user expected to install it with ASUS not taking any responsibility. Why even have bios updates?

Again, just a comment. I wish you success in solving this problem.

Doc

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello GGiba,

If you encounter any issues after testing the performance of the system, please let us know. We will be glad to look into this issue.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello GGiba,

If you need further assistance, please let us know. We will be glad to help you.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello GGiba,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this thread. If you need further assistance, please start a new thread. We will be glad to help you.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
GGiba
Beginner

Wanner G,

I updated the wireless adapter driver to version 18.33.17.1. I'm still monitoring, but everything looks good.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello GGiba,

Feel free to post an update or ask additional questions related to this thread.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
GGiba
Beginner

Wanner G.

Looks like the latest driver fixed the problem. I didn't have to reset the wireless adapter this week. The drive may have improved a speed issue I was having. My plan with Comcast is for 300Mbps, and with Ethernet I'm able to surpass that speed. With the old driver using Wifi and standing in front of the router my speeds were below 100Mbps, and now with the new driver they are in the low 200Mbps. Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos