Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7725 Discussions

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 Driver Update

ChoateRA
Beginner

Looking for latest drivers for both Dell 2350 and Dell 2720 AIO devices, both not upgradeable to Windows 11 and both with the Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 wireless cards installed (driver version 18.20.0.9).

These devices are hard-wired connected to an eero Pro 6E system but unable detect the network via the Wi-Fi option. 

Understand these drivers are formally no longer available through Intel Support, but what driver options, if any, are available to resolve this issue?

Much thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The answer is because there was a bug in the 7260/3160 driver/firmware that made it incompatible with WiFi 6 Routers. In the final release of the driver before these adapters were discontinued, a fix for this bug was released. Thus, you need to have this particular driver release in order to get the fix the issue. The driver that you need is v18.33.17.1. It is provided in package release v21.10.1.

Now, being discontinued (also) means that Intel is not providing any support for these adapters. This include not providing any downloads. Luckily, when I saw the discontinuation notice, I saved away copies of these drivers in my archive. I currently have a portion of this archive in the cloud and you can download the driver packages (Wireless and Bluetooth) from there. Use this link: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AtacZBU04mo-j-tQ34BdSDv6y1BFsg?e=7gn50T to access my archive. Subfolders provide final driver packages for most of the Discontinued Wireless adapters.

Hope this helps,

...S

P.S. Since asked elsewhere, yes, treat the Wireless and Bluetooth driver installation packages as a pair, uninstalling and installing them together.

View solution in original post

20 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The answer is because there was a bug in the 7260/3160 driver/firmware that made it incompatible with WiFi 6 Routers. In the final release of the driver before these adapters were discontinued, a fix for this bug was released. Thus, you need to have this particular driver release in order to get the fix the issue. The driver that you need is v18.33.17.1. It is provided in package release v21.10.1.

Now, being discontinued (also) means that Intel is not providing any support for these adapters. This include not providing any downloads. Luckily, when I saw the discontinuation notice, I saved away copies of these drivers in my archive. I currently have a portion of this archive in the cloud and you can download the driver packages (Wireless and Bluetooth) from there. Use this link: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AtacZBU04mo-j-tQ34BdSDv6y1BFsg?e=7gn50T to access my archive. Subfolders provide final driver packages for most of the Discontinued Wireless adapters.

Hope this helps,

...S

P.S. Since asked elsewhere, yes, treat the Wireless and Bluetooth driver installation packages as a pair, uninstalling and installing them together.

Puzzled
Beginner

I have the problem on my Dell Precision M4800 using an Intel(R) Dual Band  Wireless AC7260 network card running v 17.15.0.5 software, of not being able to connect to the internet in Normal Mode, but being able in Safe Mode with Networking.   The problem also exists if I connect via the Ethernet.  This was disconnected and driver disabled after testing  and just the WiFi connection was used.

For some reason it started to work correctly again after making an image file of my disc using Macrium Reflect.   The problem reoccurred after a day or so.  

I then got it working after uninstalling and reinstalling various drivers and disabling my VPN drivers.  After a day or so the problem reoccurred.   

I downloaded the driver software v 18.20.09 but though it loaded, it did not start and I don't know what to do further.  So I am back on v 17.15.0.5 in Safe Networking Mode.     If I look at Network Connections via Windows Key + X, it shows that status as being disconnected from the internet 'though I can access it with all programs,  Can you assist please?

0 Kudos
rawshawx
Beginner
Thank you so much for this. I just got a new Wi-Fi 6 router and my laptop wasn't picking it up. All good now!
0 Kudos
psolord
Beginner

Oh man, I just registered to say THANK you.

I just got a chinese wifi card with this chipset and it could not detect my wifi. I said wtf, the wifi was working properly. Thank god it dawned on me to check the card's specifics, I googled its chipset drivers and ended up here. Yeah it works now. Windows should have detected that there are newer drivers right away, if you ask me. Anyhoo. Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Mont
Beginner

Hi Scott,

May I trouble you for AC-7260 driver version 17.15.0.5, please?

Thank you kindly, with my best regards.

montri

0 Kudos
Moody
Beginner

Thank You, Oh my God i could not connect bluetooth and now i can. THANKS!!!!!

0 Kudos
ghjvbj
Beginner

You are a genius!! Thank u sm!!!! I had a headache all day trying to fix it until i found your answer! 

0 Kudos
AR83
Beginner

Thank you!!

I literally just created an account to say thanks and confirm that this does indeed work.

For anyone who is less than tech-savvy:

- Click Start in the bottom left corner of your computer

- Search for your Device Manager (just start typing Device Manager)

- Open it

- Find Network Adapters and select the arrow on the left

- Right Click on your Bluetooth Driver (mine was called Bluetooth Device (Personal Network))

- Uninstall Device

- Right click your Wifi Driver (mine was called Intel(R) Wireless-N 7260

- Uninstall Device

- From the link n_scott_pearson provided, find your Driver folder (same name as your wireless driver that you just uninstalled)

- Open the folder and find the file with the same name as the version of Windows you're using (likely Windows 10)

- You want to download 2 files - the BT and WiFi files for your version of Windows

- Once you download them, double click on the WiFi Application (or right click and run as Administrator) to install it.

- You can customize it, but I just did typical installation and it worked fine.

- Once you're finished, repeat with the BT Application.

You may need to restart, but this worked flawlessly for me without restarting.

0 Kudos
Paule1192
Beginner

You sir, are a life saver. A true gentleman and a scholar!

0 Kudos
ssjgod89
Beginner

I created a profile just to thank you. You are awesome. I spent 2 weeks trying to troubleshoot my new modem and router. Went to OEM website updated all drivers...nothing. Now, because of you, I get to keep my 8 year old laptop which is still running solid for gaming.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
ChoateRA
Beginner

Solution perfecto... Driver update worked for the card on the Dell 2350 AIO as prescribed, proceeding with the update for the same card in the Dell 2720. ...Thanks a bunch, much appreciated! 

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

@Puzzled,

The final driver package releases supporting the (discontinued) 7260, 3160 and 7265 Rev. C Wireless module families are both version 21.10.1 (included Wireless driver version is 18.33.17.1 and Bluetooth driver version is 20.100.5.1).

Intel is not (reliably) hosting these packages on their website any longer. I archived the final versions myself and have set up a share where they can be downloaded. Use this link: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AtacZBU04mo-j-tQ34BdSDv6y1BFsg?e=7gn50T to access my archive. Subfolders provide final driver packages for most of Intel's discontinued Wireless adapters (see folder names for supported adapters).

Hope this helps. All I can say is that, because the drivers are also discontinued, if this update doesn't solve your problem, there is really no recourse other than replacement.

...S

0 Kudos
Puzzled
Beginner

Thank you for your assistance.  I downloaded the driver through your link and this time v 18.33.17.1 was installed correctly.  When I started in Normal mode, Internet access was possible for a short time then the problem reoccurred.  Maybe this is not a driver problem.  Time to try Linux maybe?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
I think you're right; this is starting to sound like a hardware issue (actually, I was suspicious of this right from the start). By all means, try it on Linux if you can. If it also occurs there, we'll know it's the hardware.
Replacing - or upgrading - the card is not too expensive; ~US$15 to replace or ~US$35 max. to upgrade to the latest.
...S
0 Kudos
Puzzled
Beginner

Linux installed, system woks perfectly.  Windows side still with problem.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Hhmmm, ok. IDK whether this is an issue in the Wireless driver, in the driver's version of the card's firmware, or is an issue in Windows itself. What I can say is, if you made it work before, this may be a clue as to what is happening in the Windows environment. If you cannot resolve it, understand that the card is discontinued and there will be no subsequent updates to the driver or firmware. If operation in Windows is absolutely necessary, then spend the US$20 and get an AX200 or AX210 card.

I just re-read your original post. I noticed that you also said that the same issue happened when you used an ethernet connection instead of Wireless. If this is actually the case, then I would say that the hairy finger is pointing at something in the Windows installation/configuration - something ignored when in Safe Mode. My suggestion in this case is to try a clean reinstall of Windows and see if that will resolve the issue. Obviously, you should attempt this before spending any money.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Puzzled
Beginner

Thanks for your reply.  Yes, I was trying to avoid doing that, but I guess I will have to if I want Windows to work properly.  Having installed Linux, I might just stay with it.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

It's only a two hour effort to install Windows 10 and all drivers. I would do it to an extra SSD/HDD so that your existing installations aren't affected.

...S

0 Kudos
Puzzled
Beginner

Yes, thank you.  But I cleared the problem by doing a Clean Boot.  Chucked out most things and it works fine again on both Windows and Linux.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Sorry, but my archive doesn't go that far back. What is your problem that you want a version this old?

...S

0 Kudos