Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 problem starting with the OS

GAbon
Novice

Hi,

Good day!

First of all, I'm sorry if my English is bad. I have a weird problem about this driver. My laptop is running Windows 8.1 Single Language. I just bought this about 2-3 months ago. Now the problem is that whenever I start windows from a long rest(about 5-6 hours from the last usage), this driver does not start and when I restart Windows, the driver starts(This is the case most of the time but sometimes I have to shutdown multiple times to get it started). Now when the driver is in the start state(not after a long rest) and then I try to restart again, the driver does not start. But then when I shutdown and start the computer the driver starts. It is as if the driver starts on "shutdown and start" process then it does not start on "restart" process and vice versa.

I know should have reported it to the computer store right when I knew about this problem but I guess it is too late now and it can't be replaced.

I attempted the following actions but failed to fix this problem:

1.) Uninstall the driver and install the driver provided by Asus in their website.

2.) Uninstall the driver and install the driver from intel's website (Tried some of the versions)

3.) Set start type of WLAN AutoConfig to Automatic

4.) Changed start mode of netwnb64, vwifimp and vwifibus to boot, system and automatic (all three of them with the same start mode at a time)

Is there a way to fix this or is this a hardware problem and the only way to fix this is to replace the chip(I don't really know though if this can be done.)?

10 Replies
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Hello n2txheen,

Turning off the power saving related functions may help preventing unexpected disconnections, sudden connections speed drops issue and keeping the adapter working at its maximum performance. Please follow the steps below:

1 - Set the Power Savings settings - Go to Control Panel >> Hardware and Sound >> Power Options >> Set to High Performance and apply it to default settings.

2 - You may check the Change Plan Settings >> Change Advanced Power Settings >> Wireless Adapter Setting >> Power Saving Mode and make sure both on battery and plugged in are set to Maximum Performance as shown in the picture below. *Please note that this picture is merely illustrative and may differ from the configurations of your computer.

3 - Set the advanced settings of the adapter:

• Go to Device Manager >> Network Adapters >> Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC7260, right click on it and select properties.

• Select Advanced page to set the value of U-APSD support to Disabled. *Find more details about U-SPSD by clicking here: http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-034875.htm Intel® Wi-Fi Products — TechNote: Access Point Interoperability Issue with uAPSD
  • Check the value of Transmit Power and make sure it is set to 5. Highest.

We do hope this information helped you resolve the issue.

0 Kudos
GAbon
Novice

Hi aleki_intel,

Thank you for the reply but unfortunately, after applying those steps, the driver still did not start after restarting windows but does start after shutting the computer down and turning it on again.

Brenth

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Hello n2txheen,

We are sorry to learn about that. Please try the solutions below that might help you resolve this issue.

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/sb/CS-030709.htm?wapkw=wifi+recommended+settings Wireless Networking — What are the Recommended Settings for 802.11n Connectivity?

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-025332.htm Intel® Wi-Fi Products — Resolving Wi-Fi Network Connection Issues

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-006321.htm Intel® Wi-Fi Products — Access Point (AP) Firmware Updates May Resolve Wireless Network Issues

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-025393.htm Intel® Wi-Fi Products — What Are the Advanced Wi-Fi Adapter Settings?

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/sb/CS-029893.htm Wireless Networking — Frequently Asked Questions - Wi-Fi

If, by any chance, after you try the solutions above and you still notice that the issue still persists, please contact your nearest Intel Contact Center for live troubleshooting:

Here is the link: http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contactsupport Contact Support

0 Kudos
GAbon
Novice

Hi aleki_intel,

Thank you for the solutions. I'll try these out.

Brenth

0 Kudos
MCath1
Beginner

I've spent te last 3-ours going through these and everything matches your suggestions.

My system is a Dell Precision M3800 with Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260.

This finds and connects with networks fine. On my home configuration a Netgear N460 modem, it connects and maintains very good speeds. I regulary work out of a Home office that as an XFINITY cable modem. My system finds and maintains the wifi connection perfectly. The XFINITY modem is 10ft away, however, after the first 2-3 minutes the performance degrades to the point it is unusable.

Sitting in exactly the same position, with the wifi card in the Dell turned off. If I connect to the XFINITY via my SAMSUNG S4 Wifi, and then tether the laptop via USB, the laptop will run fine with no network problems all day.

As I said, the problems don't occur elsewhere with the Dell elsewere, they don't occur with the iPhone-5, HP Laptop, iPad on the same XFINITY modem, just the Dell.

Driver installed is Intel 4/16/2014 17.0.2.5, and Intel Proset 17.1.15

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Hello Cathcam,

You have mentioned that it connects fine with other networks, correct? If so, do you experience the same kind of issue? Please consider calling you ISP (Comcast) to check the configuration of the modem. It could be that this issue may be caused by the way it is set .Check with them if they have any updates for this modem.

0 Kudos
MCath1
Beginner

Yes it works fine with other networks aleki_intel

There are five other wifi devices that work fine in the same room as the Intel dualband wifi, including the wifi in the Samsung S4 which we use for connectivity via USB tethering as the Intel wifi doesnt work. When we called Xfinity they said since 5 devices work and one doesnt the only thing they could suggest was rebooting the modem which predictably didnt work. thats why i came here for help.

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Cathcam,

We would be more than glad to help you but if the adapter works fine with other networks and only with this particular modem it does not. It doesn't seem to be an issue with it since you went over the steps previously mentioned on post # 1 and # 3 and all matches. We wish we could help you with this modem configuration but since it is not an Intel(R) product we can not offer you proper support, that is the reason we kindly asked you to contact Comcast as they own the product. It seems to be a configuration issue. On our best effort to help you, we recommend that you contact our call center for live troubleshooting and review your adapter configurations to make sure all is order. Here is the link to our contact center: http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contactsupport Contact Support - Depending on your region and country you may have other options beside calling.

0 Kudos
FirstComputerService

The card is getting hot.  It cools and works.  Need a new card.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

@FirstComputerService,

First of all, if you received this wireless card as part of a PC, Tablet or Laptop product, your warranty is from the manufacturer of that product and not from Intel. Contact them for any warranty claims (though I doubt these products are still within their warranty period). 

That said, these wireless cards, originally released in 2013, were discontinued and all warranty support for them suspended in 2019. Any more-recent purchases of these cards came from some distributor's deadstock pile and came without warranty of any kind from Intel.

Sorry, reality bites.

...S

0 Kudos