Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 adapter is killing my bandwidth

DLang4
Beginner

I have a Dell Inspiron 7348 2-in-1 laptop running Windows 10 Professional 64-bit Creators Update. I have the Verizon FiOS Quantum Gateway that has 2.4 and 5Ghz segments. The 5GHz is set to run at Wireless AC and the 2.4 is set to only run Wireless N.

If I keep my Dell laptop off, my download and upload speed are >80Mb. Once the Dell is powered on, my download speed on all devices on my network literally drops to <10mb, If the Dell is off, i can run the speedtest on the Ookla website and also from speedtest.verizon.net and get >85mb speed.

Looking at an earlier post, i tried changing the HT mode on my adapter to HT. This did significantly help the speed issue, but it also prohibited me from connecting to the 5GHz segment; i could only connect to 2.4GHz.

I am running the latest version of the Intel Wireless Driver.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello davidjlanger,

We understand you're experiencing network wide performance issues only when your 2-1 laptop is connected.

We have reviewed your SSU report, and everything look good configuration wise.

Setting your adapter "HT Mode" will disable wireless-AC and allow you to connect at 802.11n speeds only. This is intended to improve compatibility with older routers. Since making this change helps your overall download speed, it could mean that your router is having a difficult time distributing your network's bandwidth.

Our main recommendation in this case will be to make sure that your router is using the latest firmware. Aside from that, it could be some type of access list or QoS (quality of service) configuration matter. QoS refers to a network's ability to discriminate requests and redistribute bandwidth between connected systems (Such as giving greater bandwidth to computers accessing video streaming, for example).

The best thing to do would be to engage your ISP or try to change these settings following the user guide provided on their website.

- https://www.verizon.com/support/consumer/internet/fios/fios-quantum-gateway Fios Quantum Gateway* Troubleshooting and Features

NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there. We do not offer support for any third party tool mentioned here.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
DLang4
Beginner

Verizon controls the firmware on the router and they came this weekend and replaced it 3x along w/all my fiber optic connections. The only product on my network with this problem is the 7265. Verizon said the problem is only with the 7265. Even when i dropped it to N speed, it still dropped my network performance on all machines to 40MB .. When the 7265 is powered off, i get 80MB speed.

I see from other people they are having similar issues with this card. How else can i resolve this. With Verizon FiOS, you MUST use their router and they control the firmware. They replaced my router 3x on Saturday and the same problem occurs as soon as my Dell w/the 7265 connects (even when i connect it to the N segment at 2.4GHZ .. Only if i put on HT mode, does my overall speed across the whole network drop to 40MB. That is still no good. The laptop is already out of warranty with Dell so i have no recourse with them.

How else can i get my speed back on my network with this card? When i turn this machine off, all my other machines, including my MacBook go back up to 80MB. Many of my other devices also have Intel cards, but not this model. My work laptop has an 8265 and it works fine on my Wireless AC segment. It's only this one. Please advise today so i can check for any additional fixes at home. I am also willing to try any beta drivers you have that might alleviate this problem without me needing to by a new internal WLAN card.

thanks ...

0 Kudos
DLang4
Beginner

i looked on Verizon's website (in the link you provided).... there is no option to change QOS on the Quantum Router. FYI ... it is the newest model they offer. It is not an old model. When you call Verizon, they immediately tell you that they do not support any speed measurements over Wi-FI. They only support ethernet. That being said, i have to fix the problem from the wireless side, and disabling AC Mode is not the fix, as i do not get my full speed back in HT Mode. Again, if that machine is off, my speed is fine. As soon as it's on, it kills the bandwidth to all machines that are connected to the router, regardless of whether they are wired or ethernet.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello davidjlanger,

Don't worry, I wasn't trying to suggest leaving your system with wireless-AC disabled. VHT mode is ok for newer routers. Please keep in mind that even new models may have firmware updates.

While we continue looking into this, let's try the following:

- Turn off or disconnect all your devices from your wi-fi (cellphones, tablets, other computers).

- Turn the 2 in 1 and one more system on and connect them to your network

- Run the speed test again.

Does the issue still present itself?

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
DLang4
Beginner

As soon as i turn off the Dell 2-in-one with the 7265 Adapter, my speedtest shows 83MB download, 91mb upload

once i put the dell back on, if i run from any machine, 5MB download, 85MB upload. It only affects the download speed, but it destroys traffic on my network

If i enable HT mode, I get 40MB download, 45MB upload.

I pay for 75/75 speed.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello davidjlanger,

I'm hesitant to suggest this, but as a workaround (not a fix) you could try lowering your Transmit Power setting down to Medium.

Please keep in mind that the only way for one adapter to be affecting your whole network would be if it's creating some type of disruptive interference. If this is the case, we're talking about a defective hardware that needs to be replaced.

Outside from that, it's up to your router to manage and divide the incoming bandwidth between all connected devices.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
DLang4
Beginner

at medium power, i got a download of 5.97 and an upload of 41.76, so it's also affecting upload. I turned of the HT and am on the 5GHz segment. This only happened when i updated to the Wireless AC router. This card model could be incompatible with the router. I don't necessarily think you can say i have defective hardware at this point. There must be another driver we can try as others are reporting similar issues.

0 Kudos
DLang4
Beginner

I purchased an 8265 card to replace the one in my Dell. thanks

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello davidjlanger,

Please keep in mind that wireless adapters need to have been certified for use in your particular computer. To avoid compatibility issues, it's best to work with your computer manufacturer to find out which adapters are approved for your system, and if possible, you should purchase the replacement directly from them. Many computers are locked at BIOS level so that only certain adapters will be accepted.

Due to regulatory limitations and a high chance of hardware incompatibility, we don't provide support for custom wireless integrations.

If you're still up for it, there's two things that we could try while you wait for your new adapter:

1. Using the inbox driver included with your OS. This will be an older, stable version provided through Microsoft*.
  2. Perform a "driver only" installation.

To replace your current driver with the inbox version, we need to completely uninstall your current driver and remove all settings.

1. In the Control Panel, under Programs and Features, we'll need to uninstall the Intel® PROSet Wireless Software. When prompted, please choose to discard settings.
  2. Return to the Control Panel and access the Device Manager. Your wireless adapter will be found under Network Adapters. Right click on your Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 and choose the uninstall option. Make sure to select the option to "Delete the driver software for this device."
  3. Restart your computer, and test your internet connection.

If this does not improve the issue, after the previous steps you can perform a driver only installation:

1. Download the latest Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for IT Admins: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26657/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-IT-Admins Wireless_19.50.1_Driver64_Win10.zip
  2. Extract this compressed folder to a known location.
  3. Open the Device Manager > Network Adapters > and right click on your Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 > Update Driver Software > Choose to locate and install driver software manually > Select the folder where you extracted the PROSet download.
  4. Apply our http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005544.html recommended wireless settings.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
DLang4
Beginner

CDW did state that the card is compatible with the laptop. I don't want to buy another 7265 as i read too many bad things about speed issues with the card. I ordered it from Newegg and can always return it should it be incompatible.

I brought it into my office (i work at an IT Helpdesk) and also experienced 4mb download in AC Mode, so i do think the card is bad.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

davidjlanger,

Looking at the http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/inspiron-13-7348-laptop/drivers/advanced?os=wt64a support page for your computer I only see downloads for the Intel® 8260/7265/3165/7260/3160 adapters, but this doesn't necessarily mean those are all supported, nor that those are the only ones you can use.

Each model has different sub-parts, some are "low power" versions, others are intended to be used with http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/vpro/vpro-technology-general.html vPro systems, etc. Only your OEM can tell you which, if any, are compatible with your computer. For more on this, you can visit your http://ark.intel.com/products/94150/Intel-Dual-Band-Wireless-AC-8265 adapter's product specifications page under Ordering and Compliance.

Best case scenario, your system has no restrictions and the new adapter works well. If it doesn't, you should still be able to return it and work with your OEM for the next replacement.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
DLang4
Beginner

Since the Intel cards have lifetime warranties, how do i go about getting my 7265 card repaired or replaced by Intel? Please advise

thanks ...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello davidjlanger,

We only provide warranty support for retail (boxed) adapters. For wireless products this generally means only the desktop models, such as the http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/wireless-products/dual-band-wireless-ac-7260-bluetooth-desktop.html Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 for desktop.

The warranty support and period for OEM products is determined by the respective system manufacturer.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
DLang4
Beginner

How will this work for the new Wireless LAN adapter 8265 that i just purchased independent of dell (from newegg). It says that it has a lifetime warranty (in the event i have problems with it)?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello davidjlanger,

We don't actually sell wireless adapters to end users. The desktop models being the exception.

Wireless adapters are marketed towards OEMs (who will also sell them as spare parts), and system builders (think small custom system manufacturers and IoT). Some resellers will use this as a loophole to be able to sell them to consumers, who are not the intended market and are left without much support because of it.

For the limited lifetime warranty to apply, the adapter must be properly installed. Custom wireless integrations will actually void your warranty.

The idea is for you to purchase the adapter from your computer manufacturer. Since the product itself has a lifetime warranty, each OEM can then decide how long it's profitable for them to replace an adapter that becomes faulty.

Hope this information helps.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos