Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7367 Discussions

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 slow speed

NLinn
Beginner

Hi,

LAN network transfer speed is around 200Mbps when the max it can transfer is 867Mbps. I've used Iperf3 to check the speed and it is only reporting around 250Mbps. Any idea on how to achieve the max speed possible?

-Nay

0 Kudos
16 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Nay,

The actual speed of the connection depends on many factors, such as operating system, hardware and software configuration, access point, internet service capabilities, etc. The maximum speed of the http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/product-briefs/dual-band-wireless-ac-8260-brief-v2.pdf Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 is 867 Mbps, and it is enabled by 2x2 802.11 ac implementations.

For more information, we would require the following details:

- Computer brand and model.

- Operating system version.

- Access point model and firmware version.

- Was this adapter built from factory with your computer? or is it a custom upgrade?

Regards,

Jonathan.
0 Kudos
NLinn
Beginner

Hi,

My computer is Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon 2016. I'm running Windows 10 Home 64-bit. My router is TP-Link Archer C7 and the firmware version is Archer C7(US)_V2_160719. The adapter was built in from factory. I'm connected to the 5GHz network and I'm right next to the wireless router when trying to transfer the files.

-Nay

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Nay,

With the hardware and configuration you have, the AC 8260 should use the maximum speed, please keep in mind that the actual transfer rate is affected by other factors. Here are few items for your consideration:

- Review your router configuration, and make sure you have an SSID dedicated to 5 GHz and 802.11ac. Use this SSID when connecting the AC 8260.

- Also in the router, make sure QOS WMM is enabled, also verify that any QOS access lists or bandwidth limitation are disabled or giving priority to the AC 8260.

- Apply the configuration from the following advisory: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005544.html Recommended Settings for 802.11n Connectivity

If the issue persists at this point please let us know the following details:

- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Download Intel® System Support Utility, run the tool and use it to create a report with all sections, then use the option to Save it to a file; add your reply to this thread and use the Advanced editor options to attach the resulting XML file to your post.

- What method are you using to measure the bandwidth?

- Describe the way you use to transfer the files and the devices involved.

Regards,

Jonathan
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Nay,

We haven't seen any reply to our last message, if you require further assistance, please let us know the results of our previous recommendations and the information requested as we will be glad to help.

Regards,

Jonathan.
0 Kudos
NLinn
Beginner

Hi Jon,

I just got back my laptop from repair. So I just tried what you have posted and the result is still the same. I'm using iperf3 to measure the network speed. I'm only getting about 300Mbits/s from AC 8260 to my NAS which is connected to the router by a cat 5e ethernet cable. I made sure that neither my NAS nor the router is not the bottleneck by running iperf3 from my desktop, which is connected by ethernet to my NAS and I get around 1Gbits/s. As you have requested, I have attached the XML file.

Regards,

Nay

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Nay,

Please proceed with the following actions and let us know if this helps:

- Go to the Advanced Settings of your Power Plan and set the Wireless Adapter for "Maximum Performance", when plugged in and on battery.

- Perform a clean installation of the WiFi drivers:

1. We always recommend to use the driver from the http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/OEMs.html Computer Manufacturer Support as first option, however, the new version 19.30.0 includes fixes specific for the 8260 in Windows® 10. Our generic driver version can be obtained from Intel® Download Center:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26528/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-10?product=86068 Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows® 10 [19.30.0]

2. Go to Control Panel, Programs and Features and Uninstall "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software", if it is installed. When prompted, choose the option to "Discard settings".

3. In Control Panel, Device Manager, Network Adapters, right click on the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 and Uninstall it. Make sure you mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device".

4. Reboot the PC or scan for hardware changes, check device manager and if an older wireless driver is detected and installed, repeat the actions to uninstall and delete it as well. Repeat this process until the OS does not allow deleting the driver, or until the controller shows as Unknown Device.

5. Remove temporary files: Press the Windows Key + R to open the run box. Type Cleanmgr.exe. Press OK. Select the main drive, usually C:\. Check Temporary Files and uncheck everything else. Press OK.

6. Install the Intel Wireless driver. During the first steps of PROSet/Wireless installation, make sure to customize the installation and install all driver components.

Regards,

Jonathan.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Nay,

We haven't seen any updates for this topic. Feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions.

Regards,

Jonathan.
0 Kudos
NLinn
Beginner

Hi,

I updated the driver as instructed and the transfer speed is still the same.

-Nay

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Nay,

In our best effort, please obtain a new SSU log and we will be glad to review it.

Please keep in mind that if the adapter is connecting at 867 Mbps and working correctly, it may suggest a limitation in the NAS, or the way the wireless access point is managing the bandwidth, this would have be checked with the corresponding manufacturer support.

Regards,

Jonathan.
0 Kudos
lvasi1
Beginner

Sorry to ask this here, but since i found this page via google i might as well give it a try

I've had a gigabyte wireless adapter with intel 8260 chip running on windows 8.1 pro x64. My use for a wireless card is to create access point and share the internet/or files in the house.

the problem i had with this adapter, is that my phones connected to my computer(soft AP) at 65 mbps, distance to antena was less than 1 meter.

running some test i could get around 3-5 MB (5.4 MB top) transfering a file from computer to phone. tested with 2 phones (zenfone 2 and nexus 5)

So my question: is this the normal speed that intel 8260 should have when set it for soft AP or that wireless card was probably faulty?

I even reinstalled windows just to make sure nothing was blocking/conflicting from the other wireless card that is on the motherboard. and just to make this clear: the onboard was disabled via bios and also the onboard wireless card works the same (or better) and is 5 years old.

Unfortunately no manufacturer is saying the speed that the wifi adapter should have when is set for soft AP.

Im searching to buy one that has at least 100-150 mbps transfer rates (preferable 200-500 mbps) when used to create access point.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello loganj,

We would like to inform that the Intel® Wireless Adapters and drivers support basic Ad-hoc functionality, however, they are not meant to be used as Hotspot. We understand you may be able to achieve this, however, this would be out of the scope of support for the adapter.

We advise you to contact the http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/OEMs.html Adapter Manufacturer (Gigabyte) to check on this as well.

In our best effort, we would like to provide some actions to improve overall wireless connectivity: disable Bluetooth, use different wireless channels for your networks, avoid others sources of interference.

Here are some documents that may help:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005493.html Quick Checks to Improve or Fix Wireless Connection Issues

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005544.html Recommended Settings for 802.11n Connectivity

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
lvasi1
Beginner

Thank you for your answer.

Now i know i should stay away from intel wifi products.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello loganj,

Regrettably, the information you are requesting is not available since access point functionality in Windows* 8.1 is not tested for this adapter. Furthermore, there are external factors that can affect this type of connection as well.

We strongly advise you to contact the http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/OEMs.html OEM Support to check on this.

Regards,

Jonathan.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have the answer!!!! at least for myself.

Short: Start using Intel PROSet Wireless Tools - setup profile and apply. I hope this helps as it helped me after a long long troubleshooting.

Long: I've been struggling for weeks. I couldn't get above 11Mbps on my AC3165 (laptop dell inspiron, i7 quad core, 16gb ddr4, ssd drive etc... simply - quite a powerful one)

So I have changed the AC3165 that was originally in laptop with 8260.. closed the cover, put the screw in, started the laptop aaaaand ? 11Mbps.. I almost got an heart attack.. and after sooo much time spent on the internet, somebody in some forum (sorry, don't know which one so I can't give credit) mentioned the PROSet tool..

Then I realized that 8260 on my business laptop (latitude, similar config to the inspiron one) is getting up to 150Mbps on 5G wifi. My galaxy s7 smartphone was usually between 100 - 150Mbps..

So after some time I decided to try it with proset.. I have created profile (user-unfriendly thing needles to say). Applied the profile to the computer and then boom! I'm on full speed. I'm paying for 300/30Mbps, now my results are between 280 - 340mbps.. finally..

I would really recommend to intel to post this message as proposed solution (or at least to give it a try) for every single thread about slow wifi on certain devices.. Thing is that nothing actually forces you to use the PROSet app.. Windows is just happy with it's own "skills" and sees no problems. Btw I'm on Windows 10, same problems on 7.

Also there was no indication anywhere since I've started to use this laptop as a brand new one that proset might actually influence the wireless connection speed. I mean - When I download intel driver and it says success, then I expect the thing to work right? As Windows has user friendly and widely used thing that lets you connect to wifi with no problems - why would I even think there is problem ?

Should there be any questions, let me know. I'll be glad to help.

ASmit24
Novice

i never could get the intel dual band wireless-ac 8260 chipset to work reliably in several new (VERY expensive) Panasonic CF-54 laptops.

I tried everything I could think of and many suggestions from the internet as well. nothing worked. the chipset was balky in connecting if it would connect at all, and when it did connect, it was almost always REALLY, REALLY, REALLY slow! This occurred on multiple, DIFFERENT routers!

In complete despair, I finally decided to completely nuke the MASSIVE (and as far as I could tell - nearly useless) set of bloatware known as Intel Proset/Wireless and instead just install the basic Intel WiFi drivers and let Microsoft manage the WiFi, which Microsoft has almost always done flawlessly.

Here's what I did:

1. Download the barebones Intel drivers for the 8260 wifi chipset from here (this link is NOT easy to find):

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27206

Don't be fooled by the the Proset page title: the first set of downloads on the page are the barebones drivers WITHOUT Proset. (If the download filename does not include the word "Proset", then they are barebones.) For my Windows 7 x64 system, I downloaded was WiFi_20.0.2_Driver64_Win7.zip:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downloads/eula/27206/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-IT-Admins?httpDown=https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27206/a08/WiFi_20.0.2_Driver64_Win7.zip

2. Unzip the downloaded driver file, but don't do anything else with it yet.

3. Go to Programs and Features in Control Panel and Uninstall the installed Intel Proset/Wirless software. Remove everything, including "settings".

4. Next, manually delete the two intel wifi driver files from Windows/system32/drivers, namely netwfw02.sys and netwfw02.dat OR netwfw04.sys and netwfw04.dat (or perhaps some other number besides 02 or 04). This is a precautionary step, because uninstalling intel driver software lately does not actually delete the old driver files, and I've had replacement intel driver installs silently fail because they were unable to delete and/or replace existing driver files, leaving a total mess. (The worse case i've encountered is that uninstalling the intel HD Graphics 520 display drivers leaves over 200 driver files that have to be manually deleted AFTER uninstalling, because if they are not manually deleted, the new driver bundle will absolutely NOT install correctly leaving things like graphics acceleration completely broken.)

5. Now go back to the unzipped barebones wifi drivers folder and execute DPInst64.exe followed by executing iprodifx.exe.

And that should be it. Windows should popup a balloon from the taskbar telling you that a new wifi device has been installed and you should be good to go. Not only should the intel wifi 8260 chipset now function flawlessly, but you've also eliminated a massive amount of unnecessary bloatware, including several background processes that run at all times, consuming both CPU and memory.

0 Kudos
ASmit24
Novice

i never could get the intel dual band wireless-ac 8260 chipset to work reliably in several new (VERY expensive) Panasonic CF-54 laptops.

I tried everything I could think of and many suggestions from the internet as well. nothing worked. the chipset was balky in connecting if it would connect at all, and when it did connect, it was almost always REALLY, REALLY, REALLY slow! And this was the case on multiple routers, both old and new.

In complete despair, I finally decided to completely nuke the MASSIVE (and as far as I could tell - nearly useless) set of bloatware known as Intel Proset/Wireless and instead just install the basic Intel WiFi drivers and let Microsoft manage the WiFi, which Microsoft has almost always done flawlessly.

Here's what I did:

1. Download the barebones Intel drivers for the 8260 wifi chipset from here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27206

And don't be fooled by the the Proset page title: the first set of downloads on the page are the barebones drivers WITHOUT Proset. (When the filename does not include the word "Proset", then they are barebones.) For my Windows 7 x64 system, I downloaded was WiFi_20.0.2_Driver64_Win7.zip:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downloads/eula/27206/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-IT-Admins?httpDown=https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27206/a08/WiFi_20.0.2_Driver64_Win7.zip

2. Unzip the downloaded driver file, but don't do anything else with it yet.

3. Go to Programs and Features in Control Panel and Uninstall the installed Intel Proset/Wirless software. Remove everything, including "settings".

4. Next, manually delete the two intel wifi driver files from Windows/system32/drivers, namely netwfw02.sys and netwfw02.dat OR netwfw04.sys and netwfw04.dat (or perhaps some other number besides 02 or 04). This is a precautionary step, because uninstalling intel driver software lately does not actually delete the old driver files, and I've had replacement intel driver installs silently fail because they were unable to delete and/or replace existing driver files, leaving a total mess. (The worse case i've encountered is that uninstalling the intel HD Graphics 520 display drivers leaves over 200 driver files that have to be manually deleted AFTER uninstalling, because if they are not manually deleted, the new driver bundle will absolutely NOT install correctly leaving things like graphics acceleration completely broken.)

5. Now go back to the unzipped barebones wifi drivers folder and execute DPInst64.exe followed by executing iprodifx.exe.

And that should be it. Windows should popup a balloon from the taskbar telling you that a new wifi device has been installed and you should be good to go. Not only should the intel wifi now function flawlessly, but you've also eliminated a massive amount of unnecessary bloatware, including several background processes that run at all times, consuming both CPU and memory.