Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7438 Discussions

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265: How to enable hosted network?

SSaid
Beginner

How ?

I am just frustrated ... nothing works. Can't open a hotspot via CMD or any app such as Connectify or MyPublicWifi.

CMD Shows Hosted network supported: No

I try netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=name key=key 

it says

The hosted network mode has been set to allow.

The SSID of the hosted network has been successfully changed.

The user key passphrase of the hosted network has been successfully changed.

it says that the hosted network mode has been set to allow, but it doesn't.

when doing

netsh wlan start hostednetwork

it says

The hosted network couldn't be started.

The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello sailee94,

We understand that you're experiencing issues enabling hosted networks with Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265.

Are you using Windows 10* or a different operating system?

Windows 10* uses a different driver model from previous releases that no longer supports hosted and ad-hoc networks for our latest wireless adapters. However, you can use the mobile hotspot feature on Windows 10* to share your Internet connection over Wi-Fi.

Please refer to the following article for more details and instructions to configure mobile hotspot:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000023257/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html Why Hosted and Ad-Hoc Networks are Not Working on Windows® 10

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos
SSaid
Beginner

I do not want to share, nor do I always have Internet connection.

And exactly when I don't have an internet connection, I want to open a Wireless lan connection between 2 laptops to exchange files AND play games.

But when I don't have a internet connection, I can't open the windows sheetspot.

Are there any other solutions besides removing Windows 10 Home v1709, 64bit. from my Laptop and installing windows 7.

For the info, A friend had installed windows 10 Enterprise edition on his old HP Elitebook 8740w laptop, and he was able to open a hotspot.

I haerd an older 18xx driver for the Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 was able to do the job on Windows 10. But I can't find that driver anywhere on the internet. Perhaps you can be of assist on that matter please?

thank you in advance.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello sailee94,

Thanks for your reply.

As far as we know, there's no available workaround for hosted network other than mobile hotspot on Windows 10*.

The lowest driver package at our download page is https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26148/Wireless-Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-10 19.0.1. As you suggested, the best approach would be to install a previous Windows* version.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos
Griselle_7u
Beginner

I was trying the same but unfortunately couldn't make it work. It worked though when I change PC with a wifi adapter Intel Dual Band Wireless N-7260 and the 7265 also works.

If it worked with another Windows version let me know.

Regards.

0 Kudos