Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7431 Discussions

Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless-N 2230 kicks me off the internet

JAlbr1
Beginner

Hi all! I have a Dell all in one tablet, running Windows 8.1, with Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless-N 2230. I get on the internet for a while, then no internet!

I have checked that the airplane mode is turned off, installed the latest drivers, rolled back the driver to a previous version, and have unchecked power saving mode. I 've even reset the computer! I have spent

several hundred dollars trying to resolve this issue, and can't seem to get it fixed. A local geek sent me packing, and Dell does not have any answer.

I run the troubleshooter, which always resets the wifi adapter, and says it resolves the "default gateway is not available" issue. Then I'm on line again for a while. This happens 7-10 times a day.

I also have a Dell laptop that never has this issue, and my husband has no problems staying online with his ipad.

Any help would be welcomed. -Thanks!

0 Kudos
24 Replies
SBeau2
Novice

I had the same issue, but I noticed that the problem was only happening when the power supply was disconnected and kept getting default gateway not available errors.

After a hole day of research, trial and failures I finally got it working and here's how:

1. Power saving settings:

I did create a new power plan with . Power management

and made sure thge wireless seting were set to maximum

1. Go to "Control Panel", "Hardware and Sound", "Power Options". 2. Next to the selected Preferred plan, click Change plan settings. 3. On the next window, click Change advanced power settings. 4. On the next pop up Widows, locate Wireless adapter settings. Click on the plus sign to the left to expand the list. 5. On Power saving mode, please click on plus sign to the left again. 6. make sure both "On battery" and "Plugged in" are set to "Maximum Performance" _________________________________________________
  2. Power management settings:

I did uncheck the box where it says "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".

1. Navigate to Device Manager > Network Adapters 2. Double click on The Intel Wireless card to open device properties. 3. Click Power Management tab and uncheck the box where it says "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". 4. Click OK

This seams to have fixed the issue for me.

Hope this helps

hphan6
Beginner
0 Kudos
JLigh2
Beginner

Hi

I was disgruntled to find my WiFi disapeared after Win10 upgrade which I had resisted but in their wisdom MS put the prompt up on every

login and eventually the enivitable happened and I clicked the wrong button and got windows 10.

Anyway same problem, my wifi worked for a few days after win10 but then stubornly refused to find my wifi router despite the fact that

my other laptop was fine.

I followed recommendations on...

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005544.html Recommended Settings for 802.11n Connectivity

Apart from a few missing options the one that stood out was 802.11n channel width for band 2.4 Auto (not in 20 MHz only)

which on my machines was set ( after win10 upgrade - no idea about before ) to 20 Mhz only. Moving over to the auto setting

fixed the problem although I am writing this only 20 mins after applying the fix so time will tell.

I must say as an IT veteran of 20 years working on software that just had to be right that I am disatisfied

with MS and Intel on this one - when are these guys going to get it right first time through adequate testing and standards? Our golden

rule was that every single bug ever reported had to be represented by a regularly run test that captured that problem, software was extensively

tested well in advance of release and issues like this were caught ahead of time. My laptop is a Dell - this wifi adaptor has got to be in a

lot of laptops around the world - surely someone would have included this in the test sample set?

Now I hopefully one less item on my fix list ( assuming MS upgrades dont upset the cart ) - damn why did I ever push that upgrade button

my accident? Its just more trouble than its worth upgrading which is why I generally don't - I let the operating system age with the machine

which seems the best approach for stability. I really did not care for MS's pop-up asking me to upgrade every boot with no "dont show me this again",

its almost like they know that if they show it 100 times the person will eventually mess up and hit "yes".

Could INTEL please make this forum easier to join - I do not want to be part of this forum, I simply felt a moral obligation to help others as

others helped me - I dont want to give you all my details and I am not a member of facebook - make it easy for folks like me with a single

contribution who will probably never post again to help others without asking us our birthsign favourite food and all the rest of it ( sarcasm ) - just

fast sign up with one or two pieces of information and then let us post helpful items

TV ads tell us that MS and Intel products are for everyone - all ages and so on - damn sure my granny couldn't have sorted this one out !

Its a disgrace that issues requiring this level of user intervention are allowed to languish like this most users cannot get out of a problem like this and will spend 100's paying someone else

to sort it out. We are a long way from the friendly image potrayed in the TV ads arent we folks?

jbenavides
Honored Contributor II

Hello Jonnie45,

Thank you for your comments, we understand that the update to Windows® 10 has been an issue for users with PC's from previous generations and we are glad to know that you actually found a way to improve the connectivity in your system. Please keep in mind that Operating Systems updates are released by 3rd party companies like Microsoft*, and the hardware manufacturers like Intel do not have inherence in these decisions.

Your feedback is very valuable for us, as we are continuously working to improve our products and the user experience in our communities. We also try to do our best effort in order to make it easier for persons using Intel devices to transition to new operating systems whenever possible.

0 Kudos