Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7428 Discussions

Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 drops into limited connection

LCros1
Beginner

WIn 8.1

AC 7260

I have tried many driver changes from 16.1.5.2 up through 18.33.72 with no resolve.

Wifi connects and runs as normal until suddenly, for no apparent reason it drops to a LIMITED CONNECTION only. Other devices maintain connection, LAN remains active, Bluetooth remains active, only Internet connectivity is affected.

To repair I must Disable the AC7260 wireless and then re-enable which ten once again gives me Internet and a proper connection. This has been happenning for weeks now in spite of driver changes, updates, rollbacks and EVEN a FULL Windows reinstall. Power options have been set NOT to allow AC7260 to be powered down.

HELP! I am at my wits end.

ntel System Identification Utility Reference Number: 0393 3299

Date Created: Saturday, July 22, 2017 7:47:26 AM

ADVANCED SYSTEM INFORMATIONComputer ManufacturerHewlett-PackardComputer Model2291Operating System (O/S)Microsoft Windows 8.1 (build 9600), 64-bitOperating System Build (O/S)9600Operating System (version)6.3.9600O/S Language0409System RAM12 GB.NET Framework Version4.6.2CD or DVD Devicehp DVDRW DU8A5SHLSystem Hard Drive OverviewSystem Total Storage Size:930.5 GBPhysical Drive0MakerModelTOSHIBA MQ01ABD100Bus TypeSATAPhysical Drive0MakerModelTOSHIBA MQ01ABD100Bus TypeSATALocal Disk C:\906.1 GBUsed space:363.2 GBFree Space:542.9 GBLocal Disk D:\24.4 GBUsed space:22.0 GBFree Space:2.4 GBMemory DetailTotal Physical Memory12 GBAvailable Physical Memory8.2 GBTotal Virtual Memory2.0 GB</tr...
0 Kudos
13 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello LisaRCT,

We understand that you're experiencing connectivity issues with your Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 in Windows* 8.1.

While it's possible that this may be a hardware issue (hardware support is provided by your http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/OEMs.html computer manufacturer), we can recommend testing with a driver only installation. This will allow the operating system to manage your wireless networks using our driver:

1. Download and extract our latest IT Admin driver for your adapter and OS version: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26930/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-IT-Admins?v=t Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for IT Admins.

2. Under Programs and Features in the Control Panel, uninstall any instance of the "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software." When prompted, choose to "discard settings."

3. Go to the Device Manager > Network Adapters > Right click on your Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 and uninstall it. Make sure to mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device."

4. Clear out your temporary files: Press the Windows* Key + R to open the run box. Type Cleanmgr.exe and press OK. Here you will need to make sure Temporary Files are checked, you may uncheck everything else (unless you're ok with the extra wait) and press OK.

5. Reboot your computer.

6. Go to the Device Manager > Network Adapters > Right click on your Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 again, this time choose to "Update driver software..." > Select the option to "Locate and install driver software manually." direct the wizard to the location where you extracted the IT Admin package back in step one.

Last, you may apply our http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005544.html recommended connectivity settings.

If the problem continues, please save the report from the System Support Utility and share with us by using the advanced editor (top right) to enable attachments (bottom right). It's preferable if you create this report while connected to your wireless network.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
LCros1
Beginner

Hello, and thanks for the assistance.

I followed your instructions step-by-step, however after the uninstall of drivers and the clean-up of temp files and subsequent reboot the laptop restarted with drivers having been reinstalled by the system.

I repeated the procedure several times with the same results.

I next tried to install the supplied drivers but Windows says the best driver was already installed.

I believe I did manage to get the driver installed, but less than 24 hours later and I am experiencing the same issue of "Limited connection".

I am not sure what you want me to use to send in the error unless the "system report utility" you mention is the event viewer in the Windows Logs.

Log Name: SystemSource: NETwNb64Date: 7/26/2017 10:35:35 AMEvent ID: 7001

Task Category: None

Level: InformationKeywords: ClassicUser: N/AComputer: i7

Description:

The description for Event ID 7001 from source NETwNb64 cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\NDMP8

Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260

The specified resource type cannot be found in the image file

Event Xml:

http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

7001400x800000000000007882Systemi7

\Device\NDMP8Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260000008000200380000000000591B00600000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000004D4D414323230000

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello LisaRCT,

On the third step of the SSU tool, it should allow you to save the report to a file. This file may help us find more appropriate troubleshooting steps.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
LCros1
Beginner

I do not know what the "SSU" is, or where to find it.

There was no Intel menu added when I installed the Proset software, so there is no SSU there.

Is it something in Windows?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello LisaRCT,

My apologies, I didn't add the link to my original post, as I meant to: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Please download this tool, and run it while connected to your WiFi network (if possible). Afterwards, it will allow you to save the report generated to a file.

You'll be able to share this report with us by switching to the advanced editor while replying.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
LCros1
Beginner

OK, I ran the SSU and attached the results

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello LisaRCT,

Looking through your settings, I was unable to find anything out of order. However, we can recommend the following:

NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there. We do not offer support for any third party tool mentioned here.

1. Update your BIOS to the latest version available. You may need to check with your computer manufacturer for instructions. https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-envy-m7-k000-notebook-pc-series/7182778/model/7146403/swItemId/ob-185661-1?sku=G6U46UA HP ENVY m7-k010dx* BIOS Update (May 15, 2017 release)

2. Uninstall our generic driver and try the latest wireless driver from your OEM instead:

1. Download and save (don't run yet) the https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-envy-m7-k000-notebook-pc-series/7182778/model/7146403/swItemId/ob-149906-1?sku=G6U46UA latest Intel® 7260 Wireless Driver for the HP ENVY m7-k010dx* Notebook PC.

2. Under Programs and Features in the Control Panel, uninstall any instance of the "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software." When prompted, choose to "discard settings."

3. Go to the Device Manager (right click Windows* logo on your task bar, bottom left hand corner usually, locate it in dropdown menu) > Network Adapters > Right click on your Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 and uninstall it. Make sure to select the option to "Delete the driver software for this device."

4. Clear out your temporary files: Press the Windows* Key + R to open the run box. Type Cleanmgr.exe and press OK. Here you will need to make sure Temporary Files are checked, you may uncheck everything else then press OK.

5. Reboot your computer.

6. Install the wireless package from HP*

3. Apply our http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005544.html recommended wireless settings as an optional step.

If the issue still continues after this, do let us know.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
LCros1
Beginner

I followed your instructions, downloaded all the drivers, bios, etc. and installed as per your directions.

There is no change, the connection still goes into Limited after a short time.

Could my router have any part in this? (Archer C7) Other devices are not having issues, so I doubt it.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello LisaRCT,

It's possible that your router may be part of the issue, although it's less likely.

You can try updating your router's firmware to see if it makes a difference:

- http://www.tp-link.com/us/download/Archer-C7_V1.html Downloads for TP-Link* Archer C7* - Make sure to confirm your hardware version (V1 to V4) and follow the instructions provided on their website.

NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there. We do not offer support for any third party tool mentioned here.

However, it's also possible that your wireless adapter may be damaged or faulty, in which case we can recommend contacting your computer manufacturer for a suitable replacement.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
LCros1
Beginner

Thanks for the link, but I am already running the newest Firmware on my router, and resetting it to factory defaults did not help either.

Is there some way I can test if the adapter is faulty/failing?

I hate dealing with HP, neither their performance nor that of their product has been very stellar. (Ongoing problems with hard drive being system "choke point" in performance, making Quad-core i7 and 12gb RAM virtually useless as well as other issues).

I assume this wireless adapter is part of the motherboard and not replaceable, correct?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello LisaRCT,

It's not simple to check, but you've already done most of the work by reinstalling your operating system and testing all of these driver version.

You could purchase an Wireless Adapter USB dongle, however these are almost the same price as a new adapter.

The http://ark.intel.com/products/75439/Intel-Dual-Band-Wireless-AC-7260 Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 was only manufactured in M.2 or HMC (half mini card) form factors, but there are several different sub-models (low power, vPro, etc). Because of this, we can recommend checking with your computer manufacturer, and if possible to purchase the replacement from them directly to avoid compatibility issues. The same applies if you would like to http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005846.html upgrade or change to a different wireless adapter model.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
LCros1
Beginner

I believe the device is faltering and on the verge of failure.

I plugged in a USB network adapter and have not yet been knocked off the internet into a "Limited Connection".

Thanks for the assistance.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello LisaRCT,

We agree with your resolution.

Thank you for your patience and for posting to our support community. If there's anything else we can help you with, feel free to contact us again. We're always glad to be of assistance.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos