Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7367 Discussions

Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 Driver for HP netwtw04.inf invalid

TPalm1
Beginner

I have a HP Envy x360 M6-w105dx running windows 10 home edition. I was working on my computer, walked away and came back to no wireless. I restarted my computer and found that wireless was still not present. I connected wired and ran antivirus software (McAfee, Symantec, Malware bytes and Eset) all came back clean. I then went and ran registry cleaner thinking that there might be a corrupt registry. It found some issues but none related to this issue (they al were cleaned and running the way it should. I then tried installing the drivers again, and again they failed. At this point I went to the device manager and found unknown device under networking adapters. Expanding this I found that PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_095A&SUBSYS_50108086&REV_61 which corresponds to Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 Driver is not valid as seen below:

The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

A service installation section in this INF is invalid.

To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver.

I tried to restore the system to an earlier timeframe and this failed. I then tried to restore to another timeframe. This to failed. I then tried to re-install the system keeping personal files, this also failed. Being that all these failed I decided that maybe it is a disk issue as I have seen disks go bad and cause some funky things to happen... So I ran chkdsk \r on the system. This came back good. So then I thought that maybe the wireless adapter is bad or something is wrong with the motherboard. I then ran system diagnostics through HP support and those all passed. This would include the wireless hardware, motherboard, graphics card, and hard drive. At this point I engaged with HP support. They validated that I needed the Intel Wireless-AC 7265 drivers for this system. They told me to re-download the drivers and try and point the unknown device to this location and let it pick it up. This did not work. They then asked me to let it search online for the drivers and install them. This also did not work. They then told me to go to intel and find the base dual band wireless-AC 7265 driver for windows 10 64 bit not the pro version and extract and point the unknown device to that folder clicking to search subfolders. This also failed. They then stated that I needed to contact Intel for further assistance as this is not an HP issue but a Intel Driver issue.. So here I am..

I am lost as to what to do to get this to work. Any assistance you can give me will be greatly appreciated..

Thanks,

Troy

0 Kudos
2 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Troy,

Thanks for posting.

Judging by the extensive troubleshooting, the symptoms point to a hardware issue rather than a driver issue. Otherwise, the problem would have been solved with the operating system reinstallation.

When you manually pointed the driver location, did you use the https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000017246/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html IT Administrator driver package ?

Other than that, please make sure that the system BIOS is up to date and perform a BIOS reset.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Troy,

We're just checking on this thread. Did you have the chance to check if your BIOS is up to date and test a driver only installation?

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos