Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7430 Discussions

Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 : The network adapter has returned an invalid value to the driver.

MSerh
Novice

Hello, my Wifi connection randomly lost ( sometimes it's once per day, sometimes per hour ) , and then wifi adapter doesn't work at all. I need only hard reset with power button, since the system hangs on Restart blue screen. 

I see in Event Viewer -> Windows Logs -> System:

First it's a few warnings with WHEA-Logger source:

A corrected hardware error has occurred.

Component: PCI Express Root Port

Error Source: Advanced Error Reporting (PCI Express)

Primary Bus:Device:Function: 0x0:0x1C:0x5

Secondary Bus:Device:Function: 0x0:0x0:0x0

Primary Device Name:PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9D15&SUBSYS_10611043&REV_F1

Secondary Device Name:

Then it's one error with source Netwtw06:

Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 : The network adapter has returned an invalid value to the driver.

Then warning:

The network interface "Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265" has begun resetting. There will be a momentary disruption in network connectivity while the hardware resets. Reason: The network driver requested that it be reset. This network interface has reset 1 time(s) since it was last initialized.

again hundred of errors with source Netwtw06:

and eventually warning:

WLAN Extensibility Module has stopped.

Module Path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\IntelIHVRouter06.dll

Can you please suggest how I can resolve this problem? I tried to reinstall drivers ( or install the last one ) of Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265, but it didn't help.

Service center is unable to reproduce the problem, since it appears randomly, that's why they can't even replace the module, stating that it works well. I even recorded a video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/xe2aakG1fgLEYjad8 .

0 Kudos
1 Solution
MSerh
Novice

@Leonardo_C_Intel  @AndrewG_Intel   eventually it was resolved only by physical replacing of the wifi adapter. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello MSerh

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to better assist you, could you please provide the following information?

1- Is the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 the original wireless adapter that came pre-installed on your system or did you install (upgrade) this wireless device?

2- Is this a new system? Did it work fine before?

3- For how long have the system experienced this issue?

4- Was any hardware, software or Windows® update that may relate to the moment the issue started to occur? If yes, please provide details.

5- If experiencing Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) errors, could you please share the error codes or BSOD error message?

6- When you mentioned "Service Center" do you mean the support team of the system manufacturer?

7- Please run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report to this thread.

7.1- Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

7.2- Open the application and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".

7.3- To save your scan, click Next and click Save.

7.4- To attach a file, you must click the “Attach” option on the bottom left-hand corner of the response box.

Regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
MSerh
Novice
  1. Pre-installed.
  2. Did not work fine before, starting from the notebook purchase one year ago.
  3. Starting from the notebook purchase - December 2019 .
  4. No.
  5. No BSOD, when you try to Restart the system by clicking on regular Windows Restart button - it hangs on 'Restarting...' screen.
  6. I meant ASUS notebooks warranty service center.
  7. Attached.
0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello MSerh

Thank you for your response and all the details provided.

Checking the report, we noticed the system is running a driver version (20.70.13.2) that does not seem to correspond with the latest one available on the laptop manufacturer website nor the latest one on Intel® website for this specific Wireless model "Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265". In this case, we would like to recommend the following steps:

1- Clean installation of the Wireless driver using the ASUS* driver, 20.60.0.1530.05 (you may also try version 20.50.3.1498.01).

1.1- Get the latest system-specific driver from your computer manufacturer website* and save it to the Windows® desktop.

https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ASUS-VivoBook-S15-S530UN/HelpDesk_Download/

1.2- Disconnect from the Internet so new drivers are not automatically installed by Windows® update.

1.3- Uninstall the Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software. You may skip this step if you don't see Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software under Programs and Features.

• Open Windows® Apps and Features (Uninstall a program) from Windows Settings.
  • Select Uninstall or Change and then Remove.
  • When prompted, choose to discard settings.

1.4- Uninstall your wireless driver. Windows* with an inbox driver may natively support some wireless adapters. You can't uninstall an inbox driver (you won't see the "Delete the driver software for this device" option). Proceed to the next step if you still see the driver installed in Device Manager:

• Go to Device Manager.
  • Expand the Network Adapters category.
  • Right-click your Intel Wireless Adapter and choose to uninstall it.
  • Make sure to select the option to Delete the driver software for this device.

1.5- Restart the system.

1.6- Install the driver you downloaded before in step 1.1.

Note: If the issue persists, you may try the steps one more time using the Intel® generic driver, package version 21.60.2 (driver version 20.70.15.1).

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29258/Windows-10-Wi-Fi-Drivers-for-Intel-Wireless-Adapters?product=94150

2- Based on the network band you are using, check the specific recommended settings for 802.n and 802.11ac:

Recommended Settings for 802.11ac Connectivity

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024678/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html

Recommended Settings for 802.11n Connectivity

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005544/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html

3- It seems that the system is currently running the latest BIOS version available 306, however, just in case, you may check with ASUS* if a newer BIOS version is available that may help to improve performance:

https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ASUS-VivoBook-S15-S530UN/HelpDesk_BIOS/

4- By any chance have you checked if there is a firmware update for your Access Point (AP) or router that may help with this behavior in case it is related to connectivity between these devices?

Please let us know the outcome of the steps.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

A Contingent Worker at Intel

*Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third party endorsement of Intel® or any of its products is implied.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello MSerh

We would like to know if you were able to test the previous steps recommended and if further assistance is still needed.

Regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
MSerh
Novice

Nothing helped. The problem is in the switching between channels and bands ( 2.4Ghz vs 5Ghz ), thanks to guy who develops the drivers for Intel chipsets ( translate from Russian - https://dou.ua/forums/topic/29687/?utm_campaign=reply-comment#1779389 ).

I disabled dual-band option on my xiaomi wifi router and selected specific wifi channel ( not auto ), in this case adapter will not have any additional efforts with changing between channels and I hope it will help. But in any case it's workaround, Intel adapter must handle such problems.

I'll let you know in few weeks.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello MSerh

Thank you for your response and the feedback regarding the workaround you performed.

Please feel free to share any additional feedback after testing it for some days.

Should you have additional inquiries, please let us know.

Regards

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
MSerh
Novice

The xiaomi router used to have Dual Band mode, now separately 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.

On 5Ghz, I changed the Wi-Fi channel from auto to 48.

On the laptop side, I set Wireless Mode - 5Ghz only.

Now the adapter with the same randomness turns off, but without a hard windows reset it restarts itself within a couple of seconds.

Partially helped, but if you can inform programmers about this problem , It would be great to get fix in future driver's update.

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello MSerh

I am noticing that you mentioned that the system has been having this behavior since you purchase the system and the issue present even by testing different drivers (20.70.13.2, 20.60.0.1530.05, and 20.50.3.1498.010) al this testing makes me believe that this issue does not seem to be related to the drivers but more to OEM customization (pending firmware update on the system), or the possibility that the wireless adapter is damage that is why it would be important to contact ASUS* support to confirm available updates and evaluate the hardware on the system.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
MSerh
Novice

@Leonardo_C_Intel  @AndrewG_Intel   eventually it was resolved only by physical replacing of the wifi adapter. 

0 Kudos