Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7448 Discussions

Intel (R) Dual Band Wireless-N 7260 issue

DSill
Beginner

Hi all,

I own a Dell inspiron 15 7537 and have been experiencing issues with my connection. Now I've been doing some searching and notice people been have same issue but i'm not sure if there's any alternative fixes, as I already have the latest drives but still issue persist and that issue is that my connection drops terribly or disconnects. Now I have another laptop for 3 years and it has no issues,. also could someone explain why on Intel site it shows that my wireless adapter is called "http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/highlights/wireless/db-ac7260 Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260" but not a "Dual Band Wireless-N 7260"?? And why it says I have a 17.0.5.0 but on device manager it's title as Dual Band Wireless-N 7260 and is version 17.0.5.8?? I'm not sure what is best issue as I think that all versions are not helpful and it's just the wireless adapter itself, but do correct me as i'm unaware of these sort of issue containing wireless connectivity.

Thanks

Danny

0 Kudos
54 Replies
BB4
New Contributor II

<<I don't think, I have PROSET software on my PC.>>

Control Panel > Programs

0 Kudos
DSill
Beginner

Oh waw. I really thought it wasn't there. Also I got some good news (hopefully) and that is Dell is going to send a different NIC and hopefully this one will be better.

0 Kudos
LMain
Beginner

Did you try removing PROSET software and reinstalling just the drivers? That fixed all the problems I was having with my 7260 AC card

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

You may download the newer driver version 17.12 from your http://www.intel.com/support/oems.htm system manufacturer's website.

0 Kudos
DSill
Beginner

Dell doesn't have the new driver update, I've got mine from Intel. I have not uninstalled PROSET as for some reason I've been experiencing good connection performance and I'm unaware how this happen maybe it could be my wifi strength or something changed but I still want to change the card as I don't trust it. Also if I remember correctly, when I spoke to the technician she said that there were two Wireless-N 7260 cards and the other one was a AGN (I think) but if someone could explain to me the various versions of 7260 series than i'll greatly appreciate that as I'm not sure whats the difference between teh two. I got till this Thursday for the technician to arrive with the part so be great to get answers before then.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Bluecookie00, hopefully DELL* will provide this driver version in a near future because they will need to test it with your system model.

In any case, our engineering department is working on version 17.13.

This is the information you were inquiring about: https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/wireless-products/wireless-product-selection-guide.html Intel® Wireless Products

0 Kudos
DSill
Beginner

Hi Joe

Thanks for the reply and for the link also. Hopefully Dell or Intel will provide the new driver update. I keep you posted and see what happens next

0 Kudos
BB4
New Contributor II

joe_intel wrote:

In any case, our engineering department is working on version 17.13.

When are you going to put 17.12 up on your site?

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

At this moment this version is only available through the respective OEMs, but we will let you know if this changes in the future.

0 Kudos
RŠiro
Beginner

Hello,

I own the same laptop as Bluecookie, I mean Dell inspiron 15 7537.

Bought it with Win 8, didn't notice any problem with my Nic "Intel (R) Dual Band Wireless-N 7260.

Then Updated it to Win 8.1, then the problem appears, as everyone here I tried every driver (Dell,Intel- tried recommended settings for 802.11n and everything that was mentioned in intel forum about similar issues,) There was no good result, sometimes even worse, for example.

(This issue apeared with the latest driver 17.1.0.19)

I turn my laptop on, but my nic is not even in adapter settings.

- To get it work I use Device manager, Disable Card, and then Enable and its back in adapter setting.But that does't change that the card driver is not compitable

(I mean it's not working) with win 8.1.

As Bluecookie, I have all the same problems. I have tried several routers, and no changes.

Card is useless ,at least for now. I use tp-link usb nic 150Mbps and with it I get much better signal, speed, ect.

N 7260 works only in very close range, about 1 m range if the distance is bigger the signal starts drop or dance from 5 - 300 ,but anyway it's not usable.

I really don't want to go back to win 8, and there is no guarantee that n7260 will work.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Could this be an issue that only develops after upgrading from Windows* 8 to 8.1?

Perhaps it will help uninstalling the driver from Programs and Features and Device Manager, restart your system, remove the remaining folders, and install the latest driver again.

0 Kudos
ACast22
Beginner

I just registered here to tell Intel how bad this pice of ·$%$& is. I just got this Vostro 5470 three weeks ago and ended up buying an USB wifi adapter and now I can connect to any Wifi connection that is more tan 2 mts ago.

Now the new driver is supposed to solve this but DELL don`t have it in their page so probably is not working either and that is why they havent put it at their page yet.

I really feel Intel should give us a new working card in Exchange for all the time and effort lost because of their incompetence to solve this problem. I got a Brand new computer and I does not Works!!! so how are you expect to give Intel some respect??

We need a solution and not more bla bla bla that haven`t solve anything.

0 Kudos
TDas
Novice

I'm also facing wifi issues, previously it was kind of ok type, but used to fluctuate with long distance and/or wall interference.

But after replacing the display, it seems to fluctuate more.

Now I dont understand is it a problem of wifi card or the laptop.
0 Kudos
tvete
Valued Contributor II

WiFi PHY rate tend to fluctuate to keep the connection stable, prevent data loss, and have minimum latency. It looks like the replacement display has less penetration for your WiFi signals. However, fluctuating PHY rates doesn't mean it's bad. I don't even care if it keeps fluctuating as long as I keep getting all of my bandwidth and not experiencing slow loading and latency problems.

To answer your question, I believe it's a combination of all things, including router's firmware, laptop's electrical noise, and WiFi card (drivers too) to a lesser extent. Basically, if it's the WiFi card, it should be obvious that it'll perform poorly on any environment regardless of the driver versions. If swapping the WiFi card with a non-Intel brand and still gives the same issue on ANY environment, the laptop is the fault. Finally, if the swap to the non-Intel gives perfect WiFi on SOME environments, the fault is the environment that is congested with interference and not the laptop or the WiFi card. However, if some laptops perform well on the congested radio environment regardless of the WiFi card, the cause is the WiFi card not being shielded properly from the electrical/electromagnetic noise generated by the laptop.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
TDas
Novice

It's working poorly, at my place (Cisco router) and also at my friend's place (Netgear Router).

Going near to the router data transfer speed increases.

In other laptop, the speedtest.net is going around 30mbps (DL), while mine is around max of 10mbps; sometime pages aren't loading properly.

0 Kudos
tvete
Valued Contributor II

It's the WiFi card then since per my quote "Basically, if it's the WiFi card, it should be obvious that it'll perform poorly on any environment regardless of the driver versions". Now, to confirm that if it's really the WiFi card, buy a Broadcom or Atheros card (make sure the form factor, i.e. mini-pcie or NGFF M.2 is the same before purchasing) for $20 or less. If the swap fixes all of the issues, it's definitely the WiFi card being defective.

0 Kudos
TDas
Novice
0 Kudos
RŠiro
Beginner

As you mentioned I deleted drivers and folders containing them that I could find, restarted pc.

Two drivers I didn't delete they are (Microsoft driver and some old intel 16.x.x.x version I detected that they are from system folder, so I let them be)

Installed the latest inlet driver, now nic card has no problem to show up when pc is just turned on and I don't need to go for device manager.

-But the problem is still there ,N 7260 works only in very close range if the distance is bigger the signal starts drop or disconnet me from router.

Now I am at my school, here the signal is ok, but i am close to router.

All my home WiFi devices works fine, just not my pc.

I use 300Mbps Wireless N Router

TL-WR941ND

If my phone can find signal and connect, I suspect that n7260 should do the same

0 Kudos
hali6
Beginner

I am having the same laptop (7537) and the same issue; gotta disable/enable wifi adapter every time the system wakes up. That IS pretty mucc annoying. either intel should replace the card, or dell. but they should find a solution as it is a manufacturing fault and is widespread. -_- any solution as of now?

0 Kudos
tvete
Valued Contributor II

Looking at the search engines, it's easy to replace the WiFi card with another one as a test. There are Dell branded Broadcom WiFi cards that will probably work better than Intel on your system since they're Dell branded. Dell Wireless 1550 2x2 802.11ac Network Adapter comes to mind.

0 Kudos
RŠiro
Beginner

I have 3 year warranty for my dell, and to change Card I should bring my laptop to some licensed service. Of curse I could do it my self ,but then I lose my warranty.

But why should I do it, I expect solution from Intel or Dell.

0 Kudos