Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7448 Discussions

Intel (R) Dual Band Wireless-N 7260 issue

DSill
Beginner

Hi all,

I own a Dell inspiron 15 7537 and have been experiencing issues with my connection. Now I've been doing some searching and notice people been have same issue but i'm not sure if there's any alternative fixes, as I already have the latest drives but still issue persist and that issue is that my connection drops terribly or disconnects. Now I have another laptop for 3 years and it has no issues,. also could someone explain why on Intel site it shows that my wireless adapter is called "http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/highlights/wireless/db-ac7260 Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260" but not a "Dual Band Wireless-N 7260"?? And why it says I have a 17.0.5.0 but on device manager it's title as Dual Band Wireless-N 7260 and is version 17.0.5.8?? I'm not sure what is best issue as I think that all versions are not helpful and it's just the wireless adapter itself, but do correct me as i'm unaware of these sort of issue containing wireless connectivity.

Thanks

Danny

0 Kudos
54 Replies
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Raimonds.S, it could be an issue caused by faulty antenna connection. You may want to check the signal strength by typing "netsh wlan show interfaces" from command prompt. Remember that distance and objects may vary your results.

0 Kudos
RŠiro
Beginner

hey,

This is my result of "netsh wlan show interfaces" , I don't understand why the wi-fi connection status speed is different from the netsh result.

There are 2 interfaces on the system:

Name : Wi-Fi 2

Description : Atheros AR9271 Wireless Network Adapter

GUID : 375ade7a-40bf-4f69-b7c7-ea9fa889d5b4

Physical address : a0:f3:c1:22:c1:40

State : connected

SSID : LMT-0B39

BSSID : e8:08:8b:dc:0b:39

Network type : Infrastructure

Radio type : 802.11n

Authentication : WPA2-Personal

Cipher : CCMP

Connection mode : Profile

Channel : 1

Receive rate (Mbps) : 65

Transmit rate (Mbps) : 65

Signal : 48%

Profile : LMT-0B39

Name : Wi-Fi

Description : Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-N 7260

GUID : e4875c52-eb7e-4e43-9e2c-62c2bf970403

Physical address : 0c:8b:fd:bb:3d:25

State : connected

SSID : LMT-0B39

BSSID : e8:08:8b:dc:0b:39

Network type : Infrastructure

Radio type : 802.11n

Authentication : WPA2-Personal

Cipher : CCMP

Connection mode : Profile

Channel : 1

Receive rate (Mbps) : 144

Transmit rate (Mbps) : 144

Signal : 60%

Profile : LMT-0B39

0 Kudos
tvete
Valued Contributor II

Speed shown by netsh are the MAXIMUM speed if there are minimal error packets in the connection. The Atheros is working at maximum speed (no short GI) despite having 3 bars which indicates no issues. Disabling and re-enabling the adapter might fix that issue.

0 Kudos
DSill
Beginner

Well for the 4th time waiting for a Dell technician, I finally got the part replaced. I can't see the difference in the card details itself unless i'm looking wrong but so far it's be ok. I'll keep you guys posted if any probles occur.

0 Kudos
TDas
Novice

I'm searching for a better or best alternative to 7260 card.

I saw this one - http://www.ebay.com/itm/AzureWave-Broadcom-BCM94352HMB-802-11ac-867Mbps-WLAN-BT-4-0-Half-Mini-PCIE-Card-/251478784070?pt=US_Internal_Network_Cards&hash=item3a8d4db846 Azurewave Broadcom BCM94352HMB 802 11AC 867Mbps WLAN BT 4 0 Half Mini PCIe Card | eBay

Will it work in inspiron 7537?
0 Kudos
tvete
Valued Contributor II

It should but I would prefer a Dell branded card such as Dell Wireless 1550 802.11ac. Either cards will work fine. Just keep in mind that Intel has better range (more bars at the same location) than any of the WiFi manufacturers so you might be disappointed in the range of the Azurewave when you replace it. However, stability and speed are the utmost priorities to me, not range.

0 Kudos
MDarl
Novice

I recently purchased an ASUS Zenbook UX303LN for $1600, a real Cadillac of a laptop, to replace my 3 year-old Macbook Pro. Well, my ancient Macbook gets about 6-8MB/s of wireless internet speed, yet the Zenbook, using Intel's Dual Band 7260-N, I receive between 0.5 and 2MBs. I constantly disconnect from PC games like Hearthstone, whereas this never happened on my Mac. In other words, I am still using a 3 year old Apple product instead of a brand new, $1600 laptop. How do you think I feel, and how do you think this has changed my perception of Intel?

I have followed a number of troubleshooting guides (changing simple things like turning off power saving as it relates to wireless). I also installed Intel's Driver updating program, which got my hopes up as it updated the driver on the wireless card to what I assume to be the most up-to-date. No noticeable increase in performance.

Please update me as to Intel's progress in resolving this issue. I will be contacting ASUS with a complaint and am hopeful my warranty will force them to replace the card with a competitor's product or something. Was really looking forward to moving to PC instead of Apple, but this experience has me second guessing that desire.

VPeas
Beginner

In my case i have a sony vaio duo.

My solution was to create a wifi network with no "N" support.

Of course, the speed is not the best but at least is steady. Definitively the problem is the network card because i've tested with several access points and configurations and using other devices to compare performance.

Definitively i am going to complain with Sony about this.

Anybody else can confirm the improvement with just b/g wifi networks?

VPeas
Beginner

By the way, i am using the latest driver with the U-apsd deactivated.

Another good performance scenario is using wpa/wpa2-psk with psk.

BPhoe
Beginner

I finally figured mine out...

I gat a new Dell with the 7260 installed and imagine my surprise when my 12 year old Gateway, not only, out performed, but actually ran faster when it was Connecticut to the Arris cable modem access point!

What I did was; Go into the 7260 properties and "Disable" anything that deals with power issues...

Starting with

"ARP offload for WoWLAN" - Disable

"Fat Channel Intolerant" - Disable

"GTK Rekeying for WoWLAN" - Disable

"HT Mode" - Disable

"NS offload for WoWlan" - Disable

"Sleep on WoWLAN Disconnect" - Disable

"Wake on Magic Packet" - Disable

"Wake on Pattern Match" - Disable

Without these features disabled, I am working my gateway through Remote Desktop Connection (through the Arris wireless router) with no dropped connections and no data loss...

I am also running at close to 64Mbps over a 54Mbps connection (Arris router's design Tx speed...)

SRann
Beginner

Bobphoenix,

I made an account just so that I could thank you!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting what worked for you as it worked (so far) for me too!

RMorr3
Beginner

Just wanted to say thanks for posting this - I think this has made a great difference for me and saved my Yoga2 Pro laptop from a battering

0 Kudos
User1578223853515383

Got the info from this forum:

The problem is the newer Intel drivers, as many have pointed out.

Now to those remaining, take the steps that intel techs pointed out months ago, which involves:

* removing all intel network software from your 'add/remove applications"

* rolling back your driver version. This is done by going uninstall driver in device manager and choosing 'also remove software' tick box.

* Rescan again so it shows again, then repeat, and repeat, and repeat, till you get sick of repeating!

* Use CCleaner and clean your registry of any shit leftover, use windows disk cleanup etc. (good practise)

* Rescan till nothing shows, restart, repeat.. (now they didn't tell you about this repeating! hehe)

* Most of those who are onto it, won't have to repeat so much, but if you have been stuffing around trying to fix this, then there is a lot of rubbish to clean.

* Reboot

* It will reinstall it, check the version, is it the MS version? We are looking for version: 17.15.0.5 or simular 17x version.

Now you check your wifi, and it should be mint.

Now to stop Windows Update reinstalling the shitest driver from intel again, you can google this:

https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=how+to+stop+windows+10+installing+drivers&rlz=1C1CHBF_enNZ806NZ806&oq=how+to+stop+windows+10+installing+drive&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i57j0l4.10325j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

To anyone still having disconnect issues with the ac-7260 module, please try falling back on the driver version. Doing so has worked for many, including myself.

You can get drivers from Microsoft (Update catalog) here: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=ac-7260 Try drivers prior to 18.33.x.x.

If it works for you, please leave a comment here so others will know.

0 Kudos