Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7726 Discussions

Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz - yet another TX/CMD timeout (TfdQueue hanged) and disconnects

martin_k
New Contributor I

Long story short.

Bought a new notebook with Ax200. Have it connected to the mikrotik router, and I'm experiencing like many others disconnects. Usually when connection is under load. Actuall protocol is Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac).

It happens "sometimes" - once no occurence in 5 days, suddenly twice in two days.

What happens is seriours of events:

1) 5007 - TX/CMD timeout (TfdQueue hanged)

2) then many of these: Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz : The network adapter has returned an invalid value to the driver.

3) followed by resets: Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz : Has encountered an internal error and has failed.

The network interface "Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz" has begun resetting. There will be a momentary disruption in network connectivity while the hardware resets. Reason: The network driver requested that it be reset. This network interface has reset 2 time(s) since it was last initialized.

Miniport Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz, {1c3006b2-42c5-4706-8f37-0da41b34cccd}, had event Fatal error: The miniport has detected an internal error

WLAN AutoConfig detected limited connectivity, attempting automatic recovery.

Recovery Type: 4
Error Code: 0x0
Trigger Reason: 7
IP Family: 0

A service was installed in the system.

Service Name: Intel® PROSet/Wireless Service
Service File Name: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\piecomponent.inf_amd64_cca7e9f7d000eb41\Intel_PIE_Service.exe
Service Type: user mode service
Service Start Type: demand start
Service Account: LocalSystem

WLAN Extensibility Module has stopped unexpectedly.

Module Path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\IntelIHVRouter08.dll

4) and finaly after 20 secs or so on network:

6062 - Lso was triggered 

- SSU report attached

- installation of clean OEM driver - done

- latest version 21.90.3.2

- windows 10 - 2004

Router:

- Mikrotik RouterBOARD 962UiGS-5HacT2Hn / fw: 6.47 / router os  6.47

- 5GHz iface settings

antenna-gain=1 band=5ghz-a/n/ac channel-width=20/40/80mhz-eCee country="united states" disable-running-check=\
yes disabled=no frequency=5200 installation=indoor mode=ap-bridge multicast-helper=full name=wlan3 security-profile=wlan0_wpa2 ssid=\
cxxxxx wireless-protocol=802.11

I would like to point out:

I never experienced such problems with any other older notebook / work notebook or any other device.

Let me know what to do and wha information to give you. so  you will be able to finally  fix your driver.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
124 Replies
martin_k
New Contributor I

Hello Alberto,

please read the following very careffully.

1) Provide a technical desciption of  an event, which leads to that INTEL MANUFACTURED DRIVER  will log that message in a combination with other messages I opened a ticket about.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello martin_k, Thank you very much for sharing those details.

Since the error logs are related to the installation of the Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software done by ASUS due to their customizations, one of the things we can try now will be to delete it or uninstall it and then do a clean installation of the Intel® Wireless driver provided by them, version V21.60.0.5:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
martin_k
New Contributor I

Hello Alberto,

ok I do admit, I still have some of the old pro set service running. Therefore I"ll get rid of it, the do clean unninstall of the driver again and install the latest beta one.

1) stopped inter pro set device

2) removed it via elevated command promtp: sc delete PIEServiceNew

3) removed uninstalled intel BT and Wifi devices with deleteing files

4) used DriverStoreExplorer to remove the old driver files (https://github.com/lostindark/DriverStoreExplorer)

5) rebooted

6) installed the Beta 21.110.1.1 

I'll let you know.

0 Kudos
martin_k
New Contributor I

So, when I did check updates, it want to install the ProSet again.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Martin,

So this phenomena can be investigated, please do the following,

1. From Task Manager, stop (end task) the DSAService and DSAUpdateService.
  2. Place copies of all files and folders in C:\ProgramData\Intel\DSA into a ZIP file.
  3. Attach this ZIP file to a response post, using the Drag and drop here or browse files to attach entry below the Body edit window.

Thank You,

...S

0 Kudos
martin_k
New Contributor I

Hello Scott,

here you go.

0 Kudos
martin_k
New Contributor I

And again 5007 - TX/CMD timeout (TfdQueue hanged) - even without pro set.

0 Kudos
martin_k
New Contributor I

Seems a bit promising, beta driver turned to 802.11ac for 5GHz only. So far 4 days without an incident. It would need 10 more days to confirm.

0 Kudos
martin_k
New Contributor I

Unfortunately again occurence after 8 days.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello martin_k, Thank you very much for providing those updates, we are sorry to hear the issue persists. 

From our side, pretty much we already tried all the possible troubleshooting steps that we recommend for this situation. At this point, we suspect about a possible hardware problem with the laptop or with the Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 card itself. That is why what we recommend to do next will be to get in contact directly with ASUS for them to do a physical inspection of the system and confirm if in fact there is a hardware problem with your platform and to provide the warranty options they have available.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
martin_k
New Contributor I

I'm sorry I cannot accept this solution as it's unprofessional and by checking the internet, it's not something  which would leads to that it's  an HW issue, not occuring all the time, and such.

I would like just to point out again that:

1) intel doesn't gave me any more input on questions asked about what exactly is happening, when these messages are logged

2) intel doesn't give an expert overview on the situaition, nor escalated this issue to above level, despite I wasted to much time with that already.

I'm sorry  I though I will have problem with AMD and it's drivers in this notebook, aparently times shifted.

Lessson learned.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hi martin_k, Thank you very much for your feedback.

We are really sorry the issue remains after trying all the troubleshooting steps we recommend.

It is important to emphasize that the new Intel® Wireless drivers do not contain the Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software because all the functionality of that application will now be handled by Windows* 10.

If ASUS was the one that installed the Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software then the best thing to do will be to get in contact directly with them to check if the application can be removed and if by doing that it will affect the proper functionality of the laptop. If you were the one that installed the software then the next thing to do will be to verify with ASUS directly to confirm if installing that application will affect the customizations done by them on the computer affecting the performance of the system.

Just to let you know, this case was escalated to a higher level, to our engineering department, after reviewing the case and doing further research we provided all the information we have available for this matter, including the troubleshooting steps that were provided previously, that is what leads us to believe this could be a hardware problem and to do a physical inspection of the unit and check the warranty options directly with ASUS will be the next thing to do.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
martin_k
New Contributor I

Good evening Alberto,

look I know it's not your fault. Let me clarify some things:

1) having or not having proset doesn't make any impact from user perspective and for reocurrence of the issue. After removal has been installed by published windows updated.

2) if it would be hardware error, it would be happening:

* not so randomly as I can be 10 - 14 days without incident with notebook on all the time.

* and when downloading for example (i've downloaded more than 750 GB in 24 hours.

All things leads to:

1) something very wrong happens after some time to the driver, panic  and resets

2) or it's some kind of polution / interference. When it comes to the interfecerence, something most probably happen, that the driver cant' handle and panic.

Both leads according me to some low lvl sw error, and that's the reason I've asked you what exactly triggers such messages - and I've got not answer yet.

It's kind of confirmend by others, e.g.: https://dot11.exposed/2019/09/30/wi-fi-dos-by-rf-jamming-from-faulty-intel-driver

or any other occurences even here, where you are basically just throwing out it on OEM, or having guys reinstall, buy another adapter, all without a success. Most guys I guess get's fed up, and learn how to live with it - so will do I.

At this moment, I'm doing last test with 20Mhz, and I believe, I'll get the issue again.  Frankly I don't expect any help from intel anymore.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Good Evening martin_k, Thank you very much for your response.

Please, let's try the latest Intel® driver using the IT admin package installing the INF file, this should not guarantee that it will fix the issue but there is a chance so go ahead and test it, version 21.110.1:

Step 1: Download and save the Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for IT Admins package:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29787/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-IT-Admins?product=189347

If the file driver was contained in a zip file, unzip the file to a designated location or folder.

Step 2: Uninstall the Wi-Fi driver.

1. Uninstall your Wi-Fi driver.
    1. Go to Device Manager.
    2. Expand the Network Adapters category.
    3. Right-click your Intel Wireless Adapter and choose to uninstall it.
    4. Make sure to select the option to Delete the driver software for this device.
    5. Repeat steps A through D until the the option to Delete the driver software for this device is greyed out or may show Microsoft Windows® only. 

Note: Windows* may have an inbox Wi-Fi driver that came preintalled on your system. These types of driver can't be uninstalled (you won't see the "Delete the driver software for this device" option). Proceed to the next step if you start seeing the same version of the driver installed automatically after performing the uninstall process. The video above provides additional details on inbox drivers.

Step 3: Manual Driver installation.

Locate the driver you downloaded back in Step 1. Go to Device manager >> Click update driver >>  Browse my computer for driver software>> Browse >> Look for the unzip file downloaded for IT driver >>> Select and Click Next, then Windows® should install the driver.

Additionally, Mikrotik APs seem to have several issues, so we recommend to open a case with them directly and upgrade his firmware:

https://mikrotik.com/product/RB962UiGS-5HacT2HnT#fndtn-downloads

Please get in contact with ASUS directly and report this scenario, they need to be aware of this situation as they might need to work internally with Intel® if there is a configuration problem.

The content on the above site is not controlled by Intel®. This information is offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® for the merchants or services offered there.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
martin_k
New Contributor I

Good evening Alberto,

1) I'll try the drivers, as two there are two remarks to the events IDs, i"m experiencing.

2) my mikrotik AP is: 6.47 (Jun/02) and in the above version: 6.47.1 are not any specific fixes for a wifi parts

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Good Evening martin_k, Thank you for providing those updates.

Perfect, go ahead and test those drivers and once you get the chance, please let us know the results.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello martin_k, I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
martin_k
New Contributor I

Good evening Alberto,

I've updated the driver again 4 days ago. Therefore  I'll have an outcome in another approximatelly 10 days.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Good evening martin_k, Thank you very much for your response.

Perfect, no problem at all, take your time, once you get the chance please let us know the outcome.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
martin_k
New Contributor I

Hello Alberto,

so again had  an occurence on 08/15. Therefore despite you engineers fixed some sources of ID 5005 and 5010, not all sources were fixed.

0 Kudos
JamieS13
Beginner

I'm having the same issue as you, and despite trying every 'solution' across multiple intel threads nothing has worked.  In fact, I've even returned an AX200 Wi-Fi card (As it is a computer I built), and then bought another one from a different company, and still have the same issue!  Definitely some kind of software issue as opposed to hardware, unless I'm very unlucky.

Please do make sure to post the solution back here if you ever do find one elsewhere as this adapter works perfectly aside from this one issue.  I've been getting increasingly frustrated seeing so many of these intel threads dying out because people are just accepting the inconvenience and moving on, with intel never really addressing the problem.

0 Kudos