Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 poor range

AndreLGS
Beginner

Hi!

By now I've seen that this issue already happend with someone in another topic at 2020. So December 2021 I've bought a Asus TUF GAMING B550M PLUS (WIFI) which came with this wifi pci chip (Intel AX200).

My issue is the same as the other guy. I've already tested the range and, for my luck, my roommate bought the same kit that I bought last year (same mobo, cpu etc.) and I tested in my room to see if I'd got the same result. His mobo works fine, mine doesn't.

(Just as a disclaimer, I've tested with and without the antenna, reinstalled drivers by removing them first, update windows)
I know I can just replace this chip with another one but I'd like to know if there's anything Intel could do to resolve my problem. (I can buy the aftermaket chip for like $50).

0 Kudos
11 Replies
JosueO_Intel

Hello AndreLGS,

Thank you for posting on the Intel communities. In order to have a better understanding of the issue, please share with us the following information: 

1. Was it working before? If so, when did the issue start happening?
  2. Have you tried using the drivers provided by Asus?
  3. Have you reported the issue to Asus?
  4. On which band does the issue occur?
  5. Have you tested different SSIDs?
  6. Screenshot of the issue.

Also, please download and install the Intel System Support Utility (Intel SSU):

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- 

Open the application and select "Everything" click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel SSU will take you to the "Summary View". Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  

Click on "Next", save the report and attach it to your response.

Regards, 

Josue O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
AndreLGS
Beginner

Hello Josue,

1. Yes, but it didn't work properly at all since it arrived.
2. Yes, I've used the driver manager they provide in the website, ARMOURY CRATE has all of them, but not only it I've tryed the one Intel provides in their website. Both didn't solve my problem.
3. I've tryed, but haven't heard from them yet. I've also contact my seller but no lucky. That's why I'm contacting you guys.
4. Both, even the bluetooth. It is not that "it doesn't work", but like i'm 4 meters from the modem and the 2.4Ghz gets 1 bar of the WiFi and 5Ghz don't even shows up. The Bluetooth works but anything that stays between the reciver and the transmiter, even my head, causes to lost connection or get interrupt.
5. Sort of, I've tryed to use my phone as a router, it work but as soon as I move it around it lost connection, even inside my room.
6. That one will be difficult to me to prove with some screenshots since I can't prove that this image isn't manipulated but the screenshot that I'm sending is from my pc and this signal he's catching is from my router.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello AndreLGS,

Thank you for the information provided, in this case, we recommend performing a clean install of the latest Wi-Fi and Bluetooth drivers provided by the system manufacturer since these drivers are customized. Follow these steps:

Check Windows* updates:

• Click the Windows Start button. 

• Click the search and type Windows updates and click on that option.

• Select Check for Updates and ensure you have the latest Windows* version. 

Clean installation of the Wireless Driver:

1- Download the latest customized driver from the Computer Manufacturer Support Websites and save the installer on the computer.

1. Disconnect from the internet to make sure the driver will not be automatically updated by Windows.

3- Uninstall the Intel Wireless driver. To do this, please follow the steps on the link below under these sections:

• Uninstalling the Wi-Fi/Bluetooth® Driver for Your Intel® Wireless Adapter

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005756.html

4- Restart the computer.

5- Right-click the Windows Start button. Select Device Manager.

6- Repeat steps 3 through 5 until the option to Delete the driver software for this device is greyed out.

7- Install the latest wireless driver provided by the system manufacturer.

8- Once the latest driver has been installed, enable the internet connection again.

If the issue persists, repeat the Clean installation process using the latest Intel® generic wireless driver available at Download Center.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19351/windows-10-and-windows-11-wi-fi-drivers-for-intel-wireless-adapters.html

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18649/intel-wireless-bluetooth-for-windows-10-and-windows-11.html

Also, please be sure that the antennas are properly connected on the card and on the motherboard. 

You may also find useful our article "Recommended Settings for 802.11ax Connectivity", please follow the steps and let me know the results.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057574.html

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Gee, these symptoms are exactly like what you will see if no antennas are connected to the AX200 card. Check for proper antenna connections at the card.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
AndreLGS
Beginner

Hi,

So, I've tried this one "Clean installation of the Wireless Driver" before because I saw in another post. I did it again now just to make sure and no luck. What I've been thinking is tath this is not a driver issue because even if I remove and reinstall in different ways the same problem persist.

I don't think the antennas are the problem because I've tested with another antenna and also nothing. Not only that but I've swapped the connections on AX200, the main and the aux, to se if I get any thing different. My roommate have the same motherboard so I tested with his antenna and his card and worked fine. Basically:

My card + My antenna = Not working properly
My card + His antenna = Not working properly
His card + My antenna = Works fine
His card + His antenna = Works fine

What I think is going on is the connections between the antenna and the card are having some interferences, or maybe the cable is damaged or the little connection on the card could be damaged. I have been trying to contact every one that could give me some help, I'm not saying that this is Intels fault, but could. I've already tried to contact ASUS but They didn't respond me yet.

Thank you for the advise , but unfortunately re-checking my antennas didn't work.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

LOL! Sounds like you've done more than I actually meant you to. If you have the standard setup - that is, cables that attach to card and provide connections for external antennas at exit point from chassis - then these cables are what needs to be looked at. You can also purchase replacement very cheaply (example: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0894CWLZN).

...S

0 Kudos
AndreLGS
Beginner

Yeah I know, those are U.FL pigtail connectors if I'm not mistaken. I was looking for those this morning but the problem is I don't live in N.A., I live in Brazil and those cables aren't cheap, so I'll need to import them. In any case, what I was trying to do here was trying to understand if this problem was the drivers, or the card, or the manufacture, or the antennas etc.

What i'm going to do now is swap the card with my friend just to make sure it isn't the motherboard (Idk, it could be the pci too). After that, if the wifi signal show up I'll probably buy new connectors. Maybe I have created such a huge topic just beacuse my cable was broken, but anyway this might reach someone with the same problem in the future.

Thank you  for your attention.

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello AndreLGS,

Hope you are doing great and staying safe, we would like to know the results of the swap test you performed, did the issue persist?

Let us know if you still need our assistance. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello AndreLGS,

Were you able to check the previous post?  

Let us know if you still need assistance.  

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
AndreLGS
Beginner

Hi Josue,

I don't think I'll need any assistance by now. I haven't work on my computer these days but in any case if I need to do something I'll probably do by myself. I believe it's the cable problem (Pigtail U.FL) so as soon as I can I'll change the cable and see if it works.

Thank you all for the support, from now on I'll fix it by myself.

Best regards, 

André L.

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello AndreLGS,

Thank you for the quick response!

You are very welcome, if you need any additional assistance or information please create a new thread as this one will no longer be monitored by Intel. 

Best regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos