Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7440 Discussions

Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX211 160MHz Wi-Fi general question

davcbr
Beginner

I have a Lenovo Thinkbook with this device.  There is an intermittent problem with internet connection.  I do not know anything about WiFi device operation;  I just want somebody who knows to comment on my situation.

A while ago, this laptop lost the internet connection on my home network.  Three other computers as well as two tablets and two phones have no problems, so I believe it is this computer. Booting or switching Wifi off/on, you could see wifi turn on, internet connection establish, and the shortly seemly like some setting initiates, the internet is lost.

I have tried various adjustments that I could rationalize to be associated, such as turning off power saving, but nothing happened until I went into the device manager and switched "Preferred band" from "No preference" to "5G".  A stable internet was then achieved.  For two days.  I went to the settings again, and found that setting the 5GHz channel width to 20MHz  seemed to make it happy.  For one day.  I disabled the Microsoft WAN monitor, and this seemed to be a long term solution.  I foresee future problems.  It does seem odd that probably random device settings kick it into behaving for a while.

My question to you folks is:  does the WiFi device possibly have anything to do with this?  Would it be a corrupted driver?  Windows 11?  Norton 360.  All the other computers are Windows 11 with Norton BTW.  No issues.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

davcbr, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

I will do further research on this matter in order to provide the most accurate response to your inquiries. As soon as I get any updates, I will post all the details in this thread.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
davcbr
Beginner

I downloaded WiFi-22.190.0-Driver64-Win10-Win11 driver on my HPEnvy, and copied it to the Thinkbook.  I ran the install and got the internet.  I then used the Thinkbook's Lenovo utility to do a BIOS update that was signaled for an update. 

Bottom line, I had the internet for about an hour and it is now impossible to retrieve.  If I turn off Wi-Fi, it starts up with the internet and then drops it about 5-7 sec later.

Maybe not the bottom line.  As I wrote the above, I remembered one more thing I wanted to try.  I moved the cable from the T-mobile interface to a switch and connected my Lenovo desktop to this switch.  I then turned off the Linksys router which had been set up as an access point.   The internet is looking stable now.  My current record is about two days.

If THIS turns out to be the cause, then why?  Also, I would be interested in any research result you come up with - this is a weak spot for me that I would like to have better understood.

Thank you for your interest

dave

0 Kudos
davcbr
Beginner

Oh well.  It's gone again.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello davcbr, We are sorry to hear the issue still persists.

In reference to your question, yes this could be related to a misconfiguration in router settings, Operating System, hardware, bands, interference, firewalls, etc especially since you mentioned that the issue happens on 3 different computers.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this scenario, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

What is the specific model of the laptop?

What is the model of the Router?

Did the Internet connection ever work fine on this specific laptop?

When did the issue start?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes that might cause this issue?

The wireless card, did you purchase it separately or did it come installed on the computer?

Please attach the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
davcbr
Beginner

Alberto

Thank you for your attention to this.  I think I need to reiterate that the Thinkbook 13X G2 is the only device on my network that has shown this behavior.  My internet/router is a T-Mobile device with a very poor user interface.  Yes, the Thinkbook did behave for about three weeks before the issue became apparent.  It is my wife' computer, so some issues may have gone by without notice.  It is a brand new computer to which I did normal user customization, and the only software of note is that I uninstalled Onedrive. 

In any event,  I started to look at everything I have tried and came to the notion that this was a software issue.  I went through a process of clearing the network stack, winsock, TCP, hosts, and now I have a two day stretch of stable internet.  A site called WindowsClub hadx info about this, and for now I thing the issue is fixed.  The fix is consistent  with the behavior.

Thank you again

Dave

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

davcbr, You are very welcome, thank you very much for letting us know those updates.

Perfect, excellent, it is great to hear that the problem got fixed after clearing the network stack, winsock, TCP, hosts and now the computer is working properly.

Thank yo very much as well for talking the time to share the solution on this thread, we are sure it will be very helpful and useful for all the pers looking at this conversation.

Any other inquiries, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos