Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7437 Discussions

Intel Wi-Fi AX201 - Missing the bluetooth firmware in linux-5.16-rc3

nozzy123nozzy
Novice

I supposed that the latest firmware of Bluetooth for intel AX201 is missing in https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git, which related to the
iwlwifi-QuZ-a0-hr-b0-67.ucode firmware.

I tested Linux-5.16-rc3 on my laptop with intel AX201. The Linux loaded the latest iwlwifi firmware 'iwlwifi-QuZ-a0-hr-b0-67.ucode'. Then I found an error about missing the Bluetooth firmware in dmesg, shown as below,
----------here-------------
kernel: Bluetooth hci0: firmware: failed to load intel/ibt-19-16-0.sfi (-2)
----------here--------------

Next, I let Linux-5.16-rc3 load the older firmware 'iwlwifi-QuZ-a0-hr-b0-63.ucode', then I found the Linux loaded successfully the Bluetooth firmware shown as below,
kernel: Bluetooth hci0: firmware: direct-loading firmware intel/ibt-19-0-4.sfi
kernel: Bluetooth: hci0: Found device firmware: intel/ibt-19-0-4.sfi

Could you put the 'intel/ibt-19-16-0.sfi ' to https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git, please?
I appreciate any help you can provide.

Takahide Nojima

0 Kudos
1 Solution
nozzy123nozzy
Novice

Hi @David_G_Intel ,

Thank you for making it clear. I fully understand.

I am grateful for your help so far. I will close this thread and begin to ask in the community of firmware git.

Best regards,

Takahide Nojima

View solution in original post

7 Replies
David_G_Intel

Hello @nozzy123nozzy

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities. Let me investigate this request and I will post the updates on the thread.

Regards, 

David G 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
nozzy123nozzy
Novice

Hello @David_G_Intel 

Thank you for beginning to check. I'm looking for hearing the next update.

Regards,

Takahide Nojima

0 Kudos
gi1242
Beginner

I have the exact same issue; firmware is missing. (I'm using Arch, and have a Lenovo X1 Yoga (Gen 6).)

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

After checking the information available, here is some information that might be helpful for you:

We only provide (in the table) the first official firmware version released, which is only guaranteed to work with the kernel version specified in there. To get the latest version for newer kernels, use the firmware git tree instead. 

If the latest firmware is not available there, the best is to contact the distro forums for support and guidance.

Regards, 

David G 

0 Kudos
nozzy123nozzy
Novice

Hello @David_G_Intel ,

Thank you for that information. According to your reply, I thought you could only support the firmware on that web page. Is my understanding correct? If yes, I will end up this inquiry and contact the Bugzilla of Linux kernel developers.

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

The firmware on the article "Linux* Support for Intel® Wireless Adapters" is the first official version released, which is only guaranteed to work with the kernel version specified that same article. That is the only one Intel provides, you can contact the Linux distro support to get the latest version for newer kernels.

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. Thank you for your understanding.  

Best regards, 

David G 

0 Kudos
nozzy123nozzy
Novice

Hi @David_G_Intel ,

Thank you for making it clear. I fully understand.

I am grateful for your help so far. I will close this thread and begin to ask in the community of firmware git.

Best regards,

Takahide Nojima