Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7365 Discussions

Intel WiFi driver causes Windows BSOD after update to latest 22.20.0.6 version

Eltu
Novice

Hello,

I haven't found any post regarding my problem in the internet or intel community, so I am creating new one.

Recently Intel released new version of wireless product drivers for WiFi and Bluetooth. I try to be always up to date and therefore I updated to the latest version. Unfortunately the update (in the opposite to the release notes ) started causing BSODs on my PC. Previously there were no issues but after the update at least once per day it has to happen. I noticed that it happens usually when I watch video online like Netflix or YouTube. 

The exception happens in AV_Netwtw08.sys driver file and in Windows Event Viewer it states that error happens in AV_Netwtw08!dclReturnRxBufferApi function. 

So far I tried doing clean driver installation using Intel instructions. I uninstalled legacy Intel PROset software that apparently is not used anymore and wasn't uninstalled automatically during update. I tried installing it using IT Pro package (inf files) and exe setup. Nothing helped. 

My PC is laptop with Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9560 160MHz adapter. 

I've seen that usually you guys ask to run SSU report so I did run it already and post results in attachments.

Please do you have any ideas what can I do in order to fix the issue? Maybe there was just a bug introduced in this version of driver and I should wait for an update or downgrade to previous version (unfortunately I can't find it on intel website).

Best regards,
Jakub

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Eltu
Novice

Please, anyone has any idea or solution?

Best regards,
Kuba

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @Eltu

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to check this further, could you please confirm the following details?

1- Reviewing the Intel® SSU report, it seems the laptop model is "NH5x_7xRCx,RDx", and searching on the web is takes to "Clevo Computer*" website. Is this the brand of your system and the correct model? Could you please provide more details and/or a link as a reference?

2- Is the Intel® Wireless-AC 9560 the original wireless adapter that came pre-installed in your system or did you integrate/replace it on the laptop?

3- Have you checked and tested with the customized wireless drivers provided by your laptop manufacturer? Have you tried a driver rollback?

4- Do you know the version of the latest known working driver?

5- Does the issue occur using a wired connection? (Ethernet port and cable?)

6- Besides the driver update, was there any other change? For instance, Windows® updates or BIOS updates?

7- For testing purposes, have you checked if this happens at different networks or using different routers to discard compatibility issues or an issue with improper settings?

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

*Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel® or any of its products is implied.

0 Kudos
Eltu
Novice

Hello @AndrewG_Intel ,

Thank you for replying,

Here are answers to your questions.

1. Yes, although answer is more complicated. My laptop's brand is Hyperbook which is an assembler OEM and it uses motherboards and hulls of Clevo. Although in the order process you can change major of hardware as long as it is compatible with each other. Here you can find URL with details but as I said you will only find all possible configurations - Hyperbook NH7 - laptop do gier | Hyperbook (sadly, polish only). Anyway the configuration in my laptop can be found in SSU report.
  2. Yep, this is the original adapter that came with my laptop. I have never replaced it to any newer adapter.
  3. At first, I was using OEM's provided wifi drivers although as soon as Intel® Driver & Support Assistant notified me about an update I started using only latest drivers from Intel. And everything was fine until the most latest update (22.20.0.6). I have tried rollbacking driver to previous version and I can confirm everything was fine and that I have not experienced any BSOD. Anyway looking at the release notes I wanted to use the latest driver and after lots of attempts I tried clean installation according to following manual Clean Installation of Wireless Drivers (intel.com) and because of this I have lost possiblity of rolling back my driver to previous version. Intel webpage also does not provide download links to previous versions.
  4. Unfortunately I do not remember the exact version but I am 100% sure it is the previous stable version of intel wifi drivers. I am always up to date with drivers.
  5. No, I have tried using good ol' LAN cable and everything was working fine.
  6. No, any other changes. And the fact that intel driver causes the issue I am sure because this was the only update I was installing in this period. Also BSOD explicitly points to wifi driver file. When it comes to windows updates there was one cumulative update (KB4598242) but it was installed after BSOD started occuring, so I doubt it is a cause.
  7. No I was not able to check with any different router but this is quite popular router (TP-Link Archer C6) so I do not think this could be the issue. Router is also updated regurarly.

Once again thank you for interesting my problem.

Looking forward to hear any update from you,
Kuba

0 Kudos
Eltu
Novice

Hello @AndrewG_Intel,

Is the information I provided OK? Or should I provide any further information?

Best regards,
Kuba

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Eltu

Thank you very much for all the information provided.

In order to test if this behavior is related to a specific driver version/issue and since you mentioned that the issues happen with the latest Intel® generic driver 22.20.0.6, could you please try the Clean Installation of Wireless Drivers using the latest customized drivers provided by your OEM to see if the Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) are gone?

Based on the link that you have shared, after going to "Support > DOWNLOADABLE DRIVERS" we got this link where it seems there is a wireless driver available for your system: Index of /sklep/support/#WLAN & Bluetooth/Intel* > "WiFi_21.20.0_Driver64_Win10.exe".

Note: We recommend checking with your OEM that this is a valid driver for your system before trying the install process.

You may also try the clean install steps using the Intel driver previous to version 22.20.0.6. From this link, you can download Windows® 10 Wi-Fi Driver Package version: 22.10.0, Driver version 22.10.0.7

Please let us know the outcome of the tests and if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

*Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel® or any of its products is implied.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Eltu

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you need further assistance. Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
Eltu
Novice

@AndrewG_Intel Thank you for the reply. Apparently after few days of quite frequent BSODs they stopped occuring. I am totally not aware of any possibility what could cause the fix. No windows update and I also ceased any attempts to fix the driver. I had one VOD marathon and nothing happened. Maybe some firmware happened under the hood. 

Anyway,
Problem solved by waiting few days. If it would occur again I'll post in this thread. For now you can consider it solved.

Best regards and thank you for help,
Kuba 

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @Eltu

Thank you very much for your response and for the feedback. We are glad to know that the BSOD issues have stopped occurring. Having said that, we will proceed to close this inquiry now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

It has been a pleasure to assist you.

Sincerely,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos