Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7424 Discussions

Intel Wifi 6 AX200 keeps losing Internet Access (shows connected to the Wireless Network but "No Internet Access" - losing local ping also) only on Windows 10

MKrau16
Novice

Subject:Intel Wifi 6 AX200 keeps losing Internet Access (shows connected to the Wireless Network but "No Internet Access" - losing local ping also) only on Windows 10

First of all I would like to say Hello to everybody.

I have an issue, I think not only me, but many others have it with Intel Wifi 6 AX200, which keeps losing Internet (in fact it shows that it is connected to the Home Wifi, but "No Internet Access"). I'm losing Internet Access in most cases when streaming Netflix, Prime Videos or playing Multiplayer games, sometimes when downloading huge files from the internet ex. Steam platform, sometimes when web browsing. Apart that even if Internet works for short time I can see that times to time I am losing 1 package (I can see that in cmd by ping -t)

I made a huge research already and read tons of posts, solutions etc. (from 2019 - until today)

I made also a huge tests on: different Windows 10 versions (on my existing, new portable Windows, and new totally fresh installation - without any other software installed, where drivers were downloaded by system), also I tested different Windows drivers from the very first driver to the latest version of the driver. Also I tried my HP manufacturer recommended drivers - generally all possible drivers I found - NONE of them works fine... keep loosing my Internet connection. This is happening on both Networks 2.4Ghz and 5.0Ghz.

Apart that I did also all possible tests with Driver configurations on Windows 10: switching my drivers to 801.11ac only, disabling other options, enabling other options, disabling Power savings, everything. - Tested on 2.4Ghz and also on 5Ghz - and still the same issue losing Internet Access.

I have also done my modem hard reset and reconfigured it from scratch - Yes I also checked my Internet and modem with my Internet provider. I have tried different channels on my modem, and other configuration settings - still the same issue, loosing Internet Access.

...BUT I made also a test on portable Linux uBuntu version 20.04, and NEVER got disconnected - during streaming videos, web browsing, downloading huge files - yes, I tried to kill my Internet with so many ways and GBs of data, but Linux never have up - I never lost a connection and never lost 1 single package. 

I have 4 other devices connected to this network and NONE of them have this problem, only my laptop with Intel Wifi 6 AX200. All other devices reach maximum speed on my modem which is ~ 300 - 330 without any issues, of course they have a different Wifi chipsets - but it proofs that Wifi modem works fine!

Modem Details: CGNM-2250-SHW

My modem supports 802.11ac 2.4Ghz (20/40Mhz) and 5.0Ghz(20/40/80Mhz - default for 5Ghz).Internet speed send by provider is 300Mbps dn and ~16Mbps up.

The only solution to make my AX200 working (somehow) stable in Windows 10 is to setup Advance\Channel Width for 2.4Ghz and 5.0Ghz on 20Mhz Mode (forced from Auto to 20Mhz)...but this is NOT the best solution I like - because in this case my speed will decrease and be limited to 100Mbps-ish and will never reach ~330Mbps download like other devices.

Dear Intel, please find a fix for this issue - if the same Network Card on the same laptop with the same spec can work under Linux without any single small issue on full speed... I am sure there has to be something wrong with the Intel WiFi 6 AX200 Driver for Windows.

74 Replies
joloriquelme
Beginner

Update:

Lenovo released an updated driver (21.90.2.1) for the X1 Extreme Gen2.

So far, this new driver fixed the issue for me. After 3 days, I haven't got any issues.

0 Kudos
MarkWilliamson
Beginner

Just purchased new Lenovo E15 gen 2 with Ryzen processor, AX200 wireless modem, Windows 10 Pro.  Same issues connecting to xfinity xb3 wireless router, to extent that I was unable to successfully load and configure Windows or update without wired connection.  Now unsuccessfully connecting to many but not all sites.  In my case, it does not disconnect but locks up for long period until it frees up again.  Other devices connect thru the router no problem.  Latest Windows 10 updates, latest AX200 driver from Intel.  Tried adjusting adapter settings, but cannot find a workable solution.  Example of site that fails: https://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/  Seems like problem connecting to wifi 5 routers?

0 Kudos
Cam11
Beginner
I have the exact same issue with a brand new Lenovo Legion 5. Have tried the newest Intel driver as well as Lenovo recommended and the issue persists. I have not checked router config yet, but that is not a true solution.
0 Kudos
Cam11
Beginner

For what it's worth, setting a manual channel for my 5GHz/2.4GHz networks did not help the disconnects.

0 Kudos
Cam11
Beginner
So the thing that finally helped was installing the update for Windows 10 2004. Since installing that, which includes WiFi 6 support, I have had 0 issues.
0 Kudos
efour
Beginner

Same issues here 

Have a ax200 wifi 6 card worked fine for about a month then suddenly stopped working at max speed

connects to 5Ghz but with no internet.... Forcing the 5g to use 20mhz fixes the connection but at terrible speeds worse than 2.4ghz on auto.

i refuse to post my pc specs its just a waste of time.

This is 100% an Intel or Microsoft driver issue.

So many people are having this problem.... It was working just fine...

Router Wifi6 AX6000 TP LINK.

0 Kudos
MKrau16
Novice

HI there,

In my case the wifi card AX201 has never disappeared from the device manager. I was randomly losing connections, usually during some Internet work, example streaming netflix or playing online. Wifi icon shown that it is connected to the Wireless network "XYZ" but no Internet connection - and I was losing ping for google.com and ping for my modem ip - I had to click disconnect from my Network and Connect and everything jump to normal for next... several minutes or hours it depends on the usage.

I even replaced the Wifi card AX201 on my laptop under the warranty with a brand new AX201 provided by HP support, but,it didn't help - it was keep disconnecting same as before. Note that all the issues I had were under Windows 10 - never experienced any issues under Linux, apart that all other devices I have works fine, mobile phones, wireless switches, etc. Only Laptop with AX201 and Windows 10 had this issue.

What solved my issue was: Digging in the Modem settings - I did some measures with the Network Channels and its traffics around my home -, and I set up static Channels for Wifi 5Ghz works now on 161 channel static, and 2.4Ghz works on channel 1 - these are the best channels and their speed I found during the tests - and no more disconnections when everything is static.

I also made a test on a totally different wireless AccessPoint (with AX1500 Wifi6 standard) - the AP was connected to the Shaw modem via cable, Shaw modem had Wifi(s) disabled to don't interference - but it was even worst I couldn't keep a stable connection for 5 minutes.

My thoughts are, Intel Driver for AX201 may have some driver issue when modem does Auto Channels switching on both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz - like I mentioned before all other devices work fine when channels were set up on Auto - never had any issues and I am leaving in the same place for almost a year, the problem pop up with AX201 and Win 10 (on linux "zero" issues) - these are my thoughts, but I may be wrong...

I hope that helps - and please keep in your mind that all issues can be different from each another - I would suggest to work with an Intel Technician directly to figure our your issue, scenario and possibly solution.

Regards

Michal Kraus

0 Kudos
Teacora
Beginner

Hi Michal,

I am also using shaw network and following your recommendation, I have changed the 2.4g to channel 1 and 5g to channel 161. Just wondering while changing the channel, did you also limit the channel bandwidth for both 2.4g and 5g to 20MHz? Thanks!

0 Kudos
Milen
Beginner

Having similar issues with my Omen 17 cb-xxxxx. I have to disable/enable the wifi adapter around 5-6 times until it decides to actually switch on and search for networks. In terms of drivers I have the latest installed (the one suggested by Intel Update Utility), but the problem still persists. Also the BIOS of the laptop is latest version.

0 Kudos
CSR
Novice

I am having the same issues on my brand new B550 board, driver version 21.110.1.1 , windows 10 version 2004 build 19041.508.

The internet drops out under 'load', repeatable and within 1 minute of downloading something at approximately ~4Mbps . It was also happening during video conferences.

Wifi remains connected but internet drops out. It also drops out on every single other device. Disconnecting and reconnecting wifi real quick resolves the problem but only lasts a minute or so before it happens again.

I have been on the phone abusing Netgear for the last 2 hours for a faulty router and googled the wifi card while I was on the phone to find this.

It seems like it's a problem with Intel, not my router!

I will try to fix my 5Ghz channel and see if it resolves it but I should not have to disable features of my router to work with the "latest and greatest".

Intel needs to sort this!

Update: Turns out my wifi was already running on a fixed channel (153) for 5Ghz band.

I changed the adapter properties from AX to AC on the card and at first it seemed like it resolved it but it actually still lost connection but managed to 'reconnect' the internet without me having to disconnect and re-connect, although eventually after 5 mins it still disconnected to the point that I needed to disconnect and reconnect manually.

0 Kudos
CSR
Novice
Update: I have resolved this by going to driver version 21.110.2.1 .
Warning - Updating to latest driver 21.210.x.x did not work for me. I had to uninstall driver, found 21.110.2.1 from a google search (curiously not listed on Intel's website for past drivers) and now it's working fine.
Crazy. Known problem gets fixed and then re-broken on very next driver version.
0 Kudos
efour
Beginner

driver version 21.110.2.1  has done nothing for me sadly.

Im going to wipe and fresh install the problem machine.

Ill try these drivers again after its ready.

0 Kudos
CSR
Novice
The other thing I did concurrently was to change advanced driver config to be mode 3 on 802.11 mode (ac instead of ax) as my router is an AC router.
Hope you get it resolved, I know how frustrating it is!!!
0 Kudos
efour
Beginner

Yes it certainly is frustrating....

I have an AX capable router and the AX card which has previously worked exceptionally

1.2Gpbs connection.

I dont want to have to hamstring it just for it to work at optimal levels...

It works on 2.4ghz  ok enough for now until the rebuild!

0 Kudos
CSR
Novice

Let me know how you go because I think I spoke too soon. Having drop-outs again. Not on 2.4ghz though, like you, but I don't want to be stuck on 2.4ghz...

0 Kudos
Deiwulf
Beginner

Issues here also on a new HP Omen 17-cb0005na.
No disconnects as I'm aware, but after a while of being online, it goes to bizarre +1000ms ping.
Tried with both the latest OEM drivers and those directly from Intel (currently at 21.120.2.1), also disabled the entire Omen network optimization thing just to be sure -- same thing.
The only temporal solution is reconnecting or rebooting AX200.
This is seriously getting annoying.

0 Kudos
Peter2020
Novice

I have the same issue AX200 drops the wifi connection once every day, but as soon as I disable the wifi card an re-enable it, it connects back to the router. AC1200 C6 tp-link.

Driver version 21.120.2.1

0 Kudos
CSR
Novice
Me again.
So fingers crossed I may have found the fix (for me at least). It's been running 5 hours without issue and for this, has been a record at least 3x over.
I have a Netgear Nighthawk R7000P which I was troubleshooting concurrently and turning MU-MIMO off on this device has stopped any drop outs or slowdowns.
My issue was actually affecting wifi on all devices connected regardless of band.
I still firmly believe there is a problem with this wifi card as obviously haven't had the issue before this but seems like a combination of router and wifi card causing havoc.
Hope this helps you guys and I'll report back in a few days if I am still operating fine.
Peter2020
Novice

I will test it, MU-MIMO is enabled on my TP-link C6.

0 Kudos
IVANDA
Beginner

I have the same issue with AX201 on my laptop while connecting to TPLINK M9plus in 5G (No problem in 2.4G connection). The issue can be fixed by changing 5G channel bandwidth in Wifi card advanced setting from AUTO to 20Mhz.

0 Kudos
Deiwulf
Beginner

Think my issue was finally solved -- didn't have any DCs or bizarre 1000ms+ ping for a few days now.

What I did was upgrade to v2004, that alone didn't solve it, but all the new drivers that were auto-installed afterward seems what did the trick. Those were mostly intel/chipset drivers, network driver remained the same.

Cheers

0 Kudos