Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Intel Wifi 6 AX200 keeps losing Internet Access (shows connected to the Wireless Network but "No Internet Access" - losing local ping also) only on Windows 10

MKrau16
Novice

Subject:Intel Wifi 6 AX200 keeps losing Internet Access (shows connected to the Wireless Network but "No Internet Access" - losing local ping also) only on Windows 10

First of all I would like to say Hello to everybody.

I have an issue, I think not only me, but many others have it with Intel Wifi 6 AX200, which keeps losing Internet (in fact it shows that it is connected to the Home Wifi, but "No Internet Access"). I'm losing Internet Access in most cases when streaming Netflix, Prime Videos or playing Multiplayer games, sometimes when downloading huge files from the internet ex. Steam platform, sometimes when web browsing. Apart that even if Internet works for short time I can see that times to time I am losing 1 package (I can see that in cmd by ping -t)

I made a huge research already and read tons of posts, solutions etc. (from 2019 - until today)

I made also a huge tests on: different Windows 10 versions (on my existing, new portable Windows, and new totally fresh installation - without any other software installed, where drivers were downloaded by system), also I tested different Windows drivers from the very first driver to the latest version of the driver. Also I tried my HP manufacturer recommended drivers - generally all possible drivers I found - NONE of them works fine... keep loosing my Internet connection. This is happening on both Networks 2.4Ghz and 5.0Ghz.

Apart that I did also all possible tests with Driver configurations on Windows 10: switching my drivers to 801.11ac only, disabling other options, enabling other options, disabling Power savings, everything. - Tested on 2.4Ghz and also on 5Ghz - and still the same issue losing Internet Access.

I have also done my modem hard reset and reconfigured it from scratch - Yes I also checked my Internet and modem with my Internet provider. I have tried different channels on my modem, and other configuration settings - still the same issue, loosing Internet Access.

...BUT I made also a test on portable Linux uBuntu version 20.04, and NEVER got disconnected - during streaming videos, web browsing, downloading huge files - yes, I tried to kill my Internet with so many ways and GBs of data, but Linux never have up - I never lost a connection and never lost 1 single package. 

I have 4 other devices connected to this network and NONE of them have this problem, only my laptop with Intel Wifi 6 AX200. All other devices reach maximum speed on my modem which is ~ 300 - 330 without any issues, of course they have a different Wifi chipsets - but it proofs that Wifi modem works fine!

Modem Details: CGNM-2250-SHW

My modem supports 802.11ac 2.4Ghz (20/40Mhz) and 5.0Ghz(20/40/80Mhz - default for 5Ghz).Internet speed send by provider is 300Mbps dn and ~16Mbps up.

The only solution to make my AX200 working (somehow) stable in Windows 10 is to setup Advance\Channel Width for 2.4Ghz and 5.0Ghz on 20Mhz Mode (forced from Auto to 20Mhz)...but this is NOT the best solution I like - because in this case my speed will decrease and be limited to 100Mbps-ish and will never reach ~330Mbps download like other devices.

Dear Intel, please find a fix for this issue - if the same Network Card on the same laptop with the same spec can work under Linux without any single small issue on full speed... I am sure there has to be something wrong with the Intel WiFi 6 AX200 Driver for Windows.

74 Replies
hamza
Beginner
Hello im having the same issues on desktop with a cnvi module and it never seem to be fixed at all , no matter what i tried intel please fix this
0 Kudos
MKrau16
Novice

Hello Albert,

Yes of course I contacted HP Support and currently I am waiting for a replacement part to be shipped, [new Intel AX200 WiFi6 Card].

I should have an update by end of the week.

Regards

Michal Kraus

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hi MKrau16, Thank you very much for sharing those details.

Great, it is nice to hear that you were able to contact HP and they will be able to replace the Intel® Wireless card for you, that laptop should work with no problems once it gets installed.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
MKrau16
Novice

Hello Alberto

I replaced my Wifi Card with a brand new AX200 Intel, and unfortunately I had the same issues like before on current Windows 10 installation and very fresh one I did after replacing Wifi card, so this wasn't the hardware.

I even ordered D-Link AX1500 Mesh Wi-Fi 6 Router to test stability with AX200 and AX1500 D Link, but it became way worst, dropping Internet every few seconds - so I packed this item and returned.

Meantime I played a little bit with drivers and came back to the version 21.40.2.2 for Wifi (found it on HP website for similar laptop like mine) and latest version for Bluetooth 21.80.0.3, I also played with channels on my Internet Modem and made them static for 2,4Ghz and 5,0Ghz and became more stable... once I while I will lose just 1 single package when pinging, but I don't lose Internet connection it keeps my connected.

I will keep testing stability and hopefully I managed to fix my issue?

Thanks

Michal Kraus

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello MKrau16, Thank you very much for letting us know those updates.

We are sorry to hear the issue persists after replacing the Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 card. 

Thank you very much also for your patience and time in trying the troubleshooting steps recommended previously.

Intel® is very interested in this case, and we will do further research on this matter to try to find a possible solution for this scenario.

In the meantime, as you mentioned, keep playing with the drivers and testing stability of the Wireless Connection, please let us know if the issue gets fixed with a specific driver version or if it works better with those drivers.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello MKrau16, In your last post you mentioned that you will keep testing the stability of the Wireless connection, I just wanted to check if the issue still persists or if you were able to find a configuration that improves the performance of the Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 card?

I sent you a private message, please verify your inbox.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
MKrau16
Novice

Hello Albert,

My WiFi connection got improved on my AX200 card, after I played a little bit more with my ISP modem (CGNM-2250-SSHW Hitron Router) I had to set up my 5Ghz Wifi channel static and in my case I set it up on 161 channel, and from that moment 5Ghz works stable - no disconnections, I mean once a while I can lose ping package, but still it keeps my laptop connected to the Internet. This change didn't effect any of my device, so I can say that was a solution in my case.

I haven't tested 2.4Ghz with AX200 yet (I don't see a reason to do that, if 5Ghz works), but I also made a static channel for this Wireless and other devices connected to 2.4Ghz don't have any issues.

My guess now is: Probably there was/is an issue with Card AX200 driver when ISP modem auto changes channels (modem option: Wireless Channel Auto) then AX200 loses connection - this is one theory - since, 3 other devices connected to 5Ghz have never dropped Internet connection, even when ISP modem was set up on Auto... Apart that AX200 Card on Linux is also working very stable when ISP modem has set up on: auto changes channels;

Or Theory two is interference between AX200 card and my ISP modem, due to other Wifi routers in the area? - but again.. none of other my devices have this issue ever from the same room/place where I use my laptop with AX200.

In additional AX200 works stable on the latest Intel Driver 21.80.2.1 when I to set up my 5Ghz Wifi channel static and in my case I set it up on 161.

Thanks

Regards

Michal Kraus

0 Kudos
DKaNTr
Beginner

I have the latest driver 21.90.3.2 and I still have the issue. I bought RAX40 Router and blamed on it all this time. I realized when I changed back to the old modem and I still have the same issue. Yesterday I put back my old 7265ngw with aux antenna damaged. It stayed connected for 18 hours. When I changed back to AX200 today. It barely stays 5-10 minutes before losing the connection. Intel has to do something about this issue because a lot of people affected by this.

0 Kudos
Spriggy
Beginner

Also a victim of disconnects.  Very frustrating doing anything that requires a reliable connection.  Replacement has same issue, help!

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello MKrau16, Thank you very much for your response and for letting us know the outcome of this case.

Perfect, excellent, it is great to hear that by accessing the Router options and setting up the 5Ghz Wifi channel static on 161 channel the problem got fixed and the Wireless connection is now stable.

Any other inquiries, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
cobexer
Beginner

Hi Albert,

I too have an Intel AX200 WIFI Card and it too disconnects from the the network all the time.

My issues started right when I got my Razer Blade 15 Advanced (Mid 2019), however it took me a while to notice because the connection is mostly stable when idle and Linux has no WIFI issues as far as I can tell.

Now since I need my laptop I opted to simply buy a replacement AX200 and swap it out instead of dealing with the seller/razer support...

Now I have two AX200 cards, that drop WIFI connections as soon as some load is on them!!

I can reproduce the connection drops on (at least) 3 different WIFI routers (some of them I can't make setup adjustments to) and the AX200 has the same issues inside a Dell XPS13 (9343).

My WIFI Driver version is: 21.80.2.1, of note here is that the driver before that (don't remember the version, either from the razer support site or from windows update) had connection drops that were worse and lasted longer.

Router configuration changes are an unacceptable solution for obvious reasons! When will Intel deliver a Driver update that actually works?

0 Kudos
EGraa
Beginner

Yeah - beginning to think that there is some inherent defect with these new ax200/201 wifi cards as I am experiencing similar problem using a MSI notebook (so unlikely to be a certain brand affected other than Intel wifi cards). Are all of the routers you tested the same brand (specifically hitron)?

0 Kudos
AChan203
Novice

Hey I have the exact issue but mine is from a custom PC I just built using a Asus Rog Strix x570-i motherboard that has the AX200 wifi integrated in the motherboard...

TMeie3
Beginner

Hi,

i´m happy that i´ve found this thread, because i got crazy with my notebook.

I have the Dell Inspiron 7000 2in1, bought in April 2020.

The Wireless Card is the AX201, driver version 21.80.0.4 (the latest version provided from Dell).

I have static channels in my Router, but this doesn´t helped.

0 Kudos
EGraa
Beginner

Same here - bought a brand new msi leopard (10th gen intel model) with the same wireless card as you and experiencing exact same problems as mentioned in this thread. Out of curiosity, does connecting your laptop to your wifi network cause other devices to lose internet access? Seems crazy, but whenever I connect to my wifi network and the disconnection happens on the msi, everyone else in my household loses internet access too...

0 Kudos
Kais
Beginner

@EGraa Hello. I have the same laptop and exactly the same problems. Frequent disconnections from Wifi, and when it happens, that's for all devices connected at home. Pretty sure this is a serious interference problem.

The wifi drop doesn't happen when I use my laptop at work where the only wifi router is the one I'm connected to.

0 Kudos
joloriquelme
Beginner

I am having the same issue on my Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen2, with AX200 card factory-installed.

Strange thing is, I don't have this problem at my house, where I have an Apple Airport Extreme 802.11ac. Wi-Fi signal doesn't drop there.

But, in my Office, where I have an Asus RT-AX56U (Wi-Fi 6 Router), drops the signal several times a day. I only have to disconnect and reconnect and the problem fixes in a couple of seconds.

Also, I didn't notice any other problem with my Internet tethering shared by my iPhone 11 Pro Max. And also I don't have this problem with any other cheap 802.11n router.

Maybe this is related only with Wi-Fi 6 signal. I will try later on another settings.

Thank you and sorry my english.

0 Kudos
joloriquelme
Beginner

Hi,

I want to update my problem:

- After changing some settings on my Asus RT-AX56U Wi-Fi 6 router, the problem stopped:

* I separated both 2,4 GHz and 5 GHz networks - and I am just using 2,4 GHz

* I set up fixed channel 2 on 2,4 GHz and fixed channel 149 on 5 GHz

So, two possibilities: 

a) This is a Router problem

b) This is a problem with the Wi-Fi card, that have issues switching channels or networks bands automatically

There is a firmware update for my router that I want to try, but first I will switch after many days using 2,4 GHz channel to 5 GHz channel, to see what ocurrs.

0 Kudos
kingteeb
Beginner

I'm having exactly this issue with a new build using an MSI MPG B550i

Editing router settings can't possibly be a solution, don't always have access to these myself if i'm on another network and shouldn't need to be done if every other device is performing fine!

0 Kudos
Lbui
Beginner

Similar problem with a dell inspiron laptop with the wifi 6 ax201 card. I've mentioned this problem in a microsoft thread as well. I'm hoping someone looks at either thread as it seems to be something to do with the drivers and communication between microsoft and the card. Only way I have gotten wifi to work again is through entering BIOS and toggling the wifi on and off through restarts. Next step is ordering a wifi adapter to go around this issue, but it is silly considering these cards are in many laptops and many have likely bought new laptops during COVID. 

0 Kudos
joloriquelme
Beginner

Hi,

I want to provide an update on my situation.

- After several days testing separate 2,4 GHz and 5 GHz and fixed channels 2 and 149 for both networks on my Asus Wi-Fi 6 router without issues, I decided to update Router's firmware and try again with original unique network SSID/auto-channel

- A few minutes after, problem started again only with my computer (other devices, including other computers, didn't disconnect)

- The, I keept the same SSID for 2,4 and 5 GHz network, but only changed to manual channels on both networks again (2 on 2,4 GHz and 149 on 5 GHz). Everything works fine again.

So, preliminary conclusion:

- The Intel AX200 and AX201 cards are having trouble dealing with Auto channels on some Wi-Fi 6 (and possibly Wi-Fi 5) networks.

- For those affected, if you can, try on your routers to change settings to manual channels 2 and 149 and try again.

0 Kudos