Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7448 Discussions

Intel Wifi 6E AX211 Modern Standby Issues (Battery Drain)

gremlintech
Beginner

My P1 Gen 6 (21FV0025US) has had battery drain/modern standby issues since day 1. I am running the latest bios update N3ZET21W 1.08 and the latest version of windows 11.

Event viewer shows 

"The description for Event ID 6062 from source Netwtw12 cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event: 

\Device\NDMP1
Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6E AX211 160MHz

The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table"

It appears that this is a driver issue for the Intel Card. When will this fix be able to be resolved?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
gremlintech
Beginner

Additional information 

- Attempted fresh install of drivers (clean removal/reinstall of drivers)

- Some users have said to use specific versions of the drivers, none of the ones on the forum seem to work consistently.

- Attempted to disconnect from wifi before sleeping, this does not seem to fix the issue.

- Attempted disabling various settings in "Advanced" settings in device manager as suggested from previous posts. This does not seem to solve the issue.

This issue seems to be affecting high performance laptops with H series processors more than other laptops (probably because of the higher TDP power draw). I am unsure if the chipset/CPU is also causing the issue.

0 Kudos
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Hello @gremlintech

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities. We would be more than glad to help you with your issue.

In order to have a better understanding of your issue, please provide me with the following:

1.      Can you describe the battery drain issue's severity, such as the estimated percentage of battery loss during standby and the time it takes to occur?

2.      Since you attempted different driver versions for the Intel Wi-Fi card, can you share the results of these attempts and any specific versions you've tried?

3.      Have you reported this issue to Lenovo's customer or technical support, and what responses or solutions have they provided?

4.      Are there any specific settings or configurations you modified in Windows 11's power management that might be related to the issue?

5.      Have you tried disabling Wi-Fi for an extended period to determine if it's connected to the battery drain problem?

6.      Are there any specific usage scenarios where the battery drain issue is more noticeable, or does it happen consistently during standby?

7.      Can you provide insights into the issue affecting high-performance laptops with H series processors more frequently and whether you've gathered reports from other users with similar problems on different laptop configurations?

8.      Is this the original adapter that came pre-installed in your system, or have you changed/installed a new adapter recently?

9.    SSU: Please download and scan your system using our tool, Intel® System Support Utility so we can help check your system info first. Once finished downloading, open the tool, click on scan 'Everything', click next, then save the system information to a .txt file. Please provide the .txt file.

This document will be necessary to check your entire system, in order to find possible errors or incompatibilities.

Best regards,

Isaac Q. 

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
gremlintech
Beginner

In order to have a better understanding of your issue, please provide me with the following:

1.      Can you describe the battery drain issue's severity, such as the estimated percentage of battery loss during standby and the time it takes to occur?

I am lose the entire battery if it is sitting for a day, so approximately 4% per hour.

2.      Since you attempted different driver versions for the Intel Wi-Fi card, can you share the results of these attempts and any specific versions you've tried?

All results are the same and none fix the issue, I have tried the latest available drivers, latest Lenovo drivers, and other driver packages recommended by other forum posts.

3.      Have you reported this issue to Lenovo's customer or technical support, and what responses or solutions have they provided?

Yes, I have attached a link to the ongoing forum post here

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile-Workstations/P1-Gen-6-Modern-Standby-Issues-Battery-Drain/m-p/5261597?page=1#6139215 

4.      Are there any specific settings or configurations you modified in Windows 11's power management that might be related to the issue?

Nothing at the moment; I did have some forum posts which requested to change some advanced device settings under device manager, but those did not appear to change the outcome and have been reverted back to defaults.

5.      Have you tried disabling Wi-Fi for an extended period to determine if it's connected to the battery drain problem?

Yes, this issue occurs as long as the card is installed in the system.

6.      Are there any specific usage scenarios where the battery drain issue is more noticeable, or does it happen consistently during standby?

It appears to be more noticeable when the computer was originally plugged in when entering modern standby and was unplugged while in modern standby or when the computer is moved.

7.      Can you provide insights into the issue affecting high-performance laptops with H series processors more frequently and whether you've gathered reports from other users with similar problems on different laptop configurations?

Yes, the high-performance laptops tend to have higher TDP's and thus any time moved away from idle will use more power. I wouldn't say that the issue occurs more frequently, just that the severity of drain is significantly higher than non-performance laptops (i.e. U series chips) where the CPU is locked to a lower TDP.

8.      Is this the original adapter that came pre-installed in your system, or have you changed/installed a new adapter recently?

Yes, this is the original adapter as provided by Lenovo on the system.

9.    SSU: Please download and scan your system using our tool, Intel® System Support Utility so we can help check your system info first. Once finished downloading, open the tool, click on scan 'Everything', click next, then save the system information to a .txt file. Please provide the .txt file.

This document will be necessary to check your entire system, in order to find possible errors or incompatibilities.

0 Kudos
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Hello @gremlintech

Thank you for your prompt response.

I will proceed to check the issue internally with the wireless specialized team and post back soon with more details.

Best regards,

Isaac Q. 

0 Kudos
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Hello @gremlintech

We sincerely appreciate your patience.

After thorough review and investigation by our Wireless team, it has been determined that the issue in question, persisting from the very beginning, does not appear to be a driver-related matter. As such, we kindly advise you to reach out to Lenovo for further assistance.

Given that this matter falls within the purview of Lenovo's support, we will proceed to close this thread. Please bear in mind that Intel will no longer actively monitor this thread. Your understanding in this regard is greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Isaac Q.

0 Kudos
gremlintech
Beginner

Can you point to me the root cause of the problem here or let me know what additional information that I need to provide. It makes no sense that my computer is able to go into sleep and then wake up by itself from the wifi card and it not be intel driver related.

0 Kudos