Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7422 Discussions

Intel Wireless 9560 Issues with newer drivers

TRete
Beginner

Hello,

I have an ASUS GT-AX11000 router (latest firmware) and I've had issues with the last few Intel wireless driver releases with two laptops with factory installed 9560 cards. The last stable release is 21.40 from September.

With the 21.50.x release upon boot the wireless wouldn't connect to the Internet unless you disconnected and reconnected to WiFi. With the new 21.60.2 release, I can't even get a DHCP address from the router no matter what I try.

With 21.40 none of these issues occur and the wireless works normally. What has been changed in the newer releases that could be causing these issues?

The laptops are connecting on the 5Ghz channel over 160Mhz.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

An observation: This same issue has been reported frequently and against most (if not all) of the Intel wireless solutions. Some of these reports indicate that reverting to previous versions of the Intel Bluetooth and Wireless packages will result in the solution working properly (again). Intel Customer Support needs to be reviewing these reports with the driver team and root-causing this issue.

Just saying,

...S

TRete
Beginner

The most recent WiFi drivers are really buggy and its quite frustrating. I've always recommended Intel WiFi products because they have been stable and reliable for me but these recent releases are not helping that opinion.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello TRete

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to check better this behavior could you please provide the following information?

1- Laptop's full model number (if possible include SKU number):

2- Does the issue happen only when booting the laptops? Does rebooting or returning from sleep work fine?

3- Does this happen only on a specific network or is the issue reproduced in different wireless networks?

4- Are other devices working fine on the same wireless network? Please provide details:

5- Does the issue happen when using a different Router/Access Point? Are you able to test a different one to see if the behavior is the same?

6- Please run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report to this thread.

6.1- Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

6.2- Open the application and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".

6.3- To save your scan, click Next and click Save.

6.4- To attach a file, you must click the “Attach” option on the bottom left-hand corner of the response box.

PS: We would also appreciate it if you, n.scott.pearson or other community members can share the records or links that show threads with this same issue/behavior.

Regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
TRete
Beginner
  1. CyberPowerPC Tracer III 17S Slim VR 600
  2. With 21.5x, when you cold boot the WiFi connects, gets a DHCP address but doesn't connect to the Internet. You need to disable the WiFi and reenable to get it to work. Waking up from sleep is fine. With 21.6x, no DHCP address is received no matter what I do, so the wireless is unusable. 21.4x works fine.
  3. On the 5Ghz 160Mhz network.
  4. All my other devices work fine. Android phone, iPhone, NVIDIA Shield TV, ecoBee 4, Logitech Wireless Adapter
  5. I don't have another router or access point.
  6. Attached.
0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello TRete

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this thread. If you need further assistance, please kindly post a new question.

Regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
TRete
Beginner

Sorry I've been busy so I haven't had a chance to follow those steps. I will answer them later today or tomorrow.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello TRete

Thank you for your response and the details provided.

We understand you tested drivers 21.50.X and 21.60.2, however, it is not clear if you perform a clean install of the driver and if you tested also the customized drivers from your Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM), and considering the report is showing the Wireless drivers as version 21.40.2.2, we would like to recommend you the following steps:

1- Please perform a Clean Installation of Wireless Drivers and Bluetooth drivers:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html

1.1- Get the appropriate drivers:

We recommend testing with the OEM drivers from CyberPowerPC, however, when looking at their support site, it is not clear where (if there is any) those drivers are located, so we kindly recommend you double-checking with their support.

CbyerPowerPC Drivers and Software Downloads*

https://support.cyberpowerpc.com/hc/en-us/articles/360014857214#CP_Hardware

CyberPowerPC support*:

https://support.cyberpowerpc.com/hc/en-us

You may also perform the clean install and test with our generic drivers as a second option:

1.2- Uninstall the Wi-Fi driver.

Windows* may have an inbox Wi-Fi driver for your wireless adapter. You can't uninstall an inbox driver (you won't see the "Delete the driver software for this device" option). Proceed to the next step if you start seeing the same version of the driver installed automatically after it’s uninstalled.

1. Go to Device Manager.
  2. Expand the Network Adapters category.
  3. Right-click your Intel Wireless Adapter and choose to uninstall it.
  4. Make sure to select the option to Delete the driver software for this device.
  5. Restart your computer.

1.3- Driver installation.

Locate the driver you downloaded back in Step 1.1. Run as administrator, and follow the wizard to completion.

• If the issue persists, try performing these steps with the generic drivers.

2- Confirm that the latest firmware for your Router is installed, version 3.0.0.4.384.6436

https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/ROG-Rapture-GT-AX11000/HelpDesk_BIOS/

3- Check with the Router manufacturer to see if the device supports the 802.11R protocol (Fast transition feature), and if it is enabled, please test by disabling this feature in the Router.

If the issue persists, please report back the outcome of all the steps and also please check if Windows modern standby is enabled and supported:

• Open a command prompt.
  • Type the powercfg -a command into the command prompt, and press Enter
  • Check the results to see if Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) Network Connected or Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) Network Disconnected is listed as an available sleep state on this system (supported), or if Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) is listed with "The system firmware does not support this standby state.".

Regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
TRete
Beginner

Hello,

1. I tried a Clean Install of both the 21.5x driver and 21.6x driver along with the Bluetooth equivalents - I still had to install 21.4x because the issues came back.
  2. Cyberpower PC has a pretty bad driver page and when I contacted their support they told me to use the generic Intel drivers.
  3. I'm not using an in box WiFi driver - its the 21.4x one that I installed.
  4. The recommended settings from that page are already set. I don't change those properties and leave them at the default.
  5. The router is using the latest firmware, the version you listed.
  6. I'm not sure about 802.11R. I checked the settings in the router and didn't see anything for it.

I'd be happy to test or get any more information for you. I appreciate the help with this!

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello TRete

Thank you for your response and the details provided.

In order to check this behavior further, could you please provide the following information?

1- Is Windows modern standby enable as per steps provided in the previous post.

2- Computer power source (plugged in or battery):

3- Environment (office, school, hospital, factory, home):

4- WiFi configuration manager (e.g. Intel PROSet, Windows AutoConfig (native), etc.):

5- Wireless security method:

• Encryption Type (Open, RC4, TKIP, AES):
  • 802.1X authentication type (WEP, TKIP, CCMP): 
  • Key Management Type (PEAP, EAP-FAST)

6- WiFi network environment:

• 802.11n or 802.11ac enabled (None/HT(11n)/VHT(11ac)):  
  • SSID stealth mode (hidden or broadcast):

7- Please provide the complete Windows® System event and WLAN-AutoConfig logs without filter (clear previous log before reproducing issue).

1. In Windows search, search for “event” and select “Event Viewer” 
  2. On the left pane, expand “Windows Logs” 
  3. Right-click on “System” and select “Clear Log…” 
  4. Expand “Applications and Service Logs” -> “Microsoft” -> “Windows” -> “WLANAutoConfig” 
  5. Right-click on “Operational” and select “Clear Log…” 
  6. Reproduce issue.
  7. Reference above steps (instead of Clear Log… choose Save All Events as…) to save the system event and WLAN-AutoConfig logs in .evtx format. 

Note: To attach a file, you must click the “Attach” option on the bottom left-hand corner of the response box. You may attach all files to a single zip file.

0 Kudos
TRete
Beginner

Sorry I missed the power one.

1. The power state for Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) is listed with "The system firmware does not support this standby state."
  2. Plugged in since this is a gaming laptop.
  3. Home
  4. Windows Native
  5. AES encryption with WAP2
  6. 802.11ac with broadcast SSID
  7. I will produce the log file tomorrow and will attach.
0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello TRete

Thank you for all the information provided.

We would like to know if you were able to produce the logs, if yes, please kindly attach them to the thread so we can check this further.

Regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
TRete
Beginner

I've been a bit busy and will get the logs posted tomorrow night. Sorry for the delay!

0 Kudos
TRete
Beginner

Hello,

A firmware update came out for the ASUS GT-AX11000, v3.0.0.4.384_7979. I loaded it this morning then updated to the v21.60.2 driver and everything works! I get an IP and it still works after a reboot. I confirmed this on my other laptop as well.

Do you still want me to try to generate logs?

Thank you,

Tyler Retelle

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello TRete

Thank you for your response and for the feedback provided.

We are glad to know that a new firmware update released for the router has solved the issue. In this case, there is no need to provide us with the logs and we hope that the information you just shared may help other community members experiencing the same issue. If additional assistance is needed in the future, feel free to post back or create a new thread and provide the necessary logs.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos