Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7430 Discussions

Intel Wireless AC 7265 chipset Miracast Broken in Recent Windows 10Updates (Business Channel)

EWeih
Beginner

In the recent couple of weeks, there have been a smattering up Windows updates on the Business channel, and one of them (not sure which) seems to have completely broken Mircast for our users who are using an HP Envy Curved 34" all in one desktop.

The systems utilize an Intel Wireless AC 7265 chipset, an RX460 and the on-board Intel 630 graphics, and while Mircast predominantly relies on Wi-fi, I have tried:

- Upgrading all drivers to the latest versions

- Downgrading drivers to previous versions

- Clean driver installations

I'm unable to downgrade the Miracast driver (v3) to v2 to see if that makes a difference.

We are trying to connect to some 50" 4K Samsung TVs (fairly recent models, though the actual model # eludes me at the moment), AND we have tried the official latest Microsoft display adapter (running current and one version back of the firmware). The TVs are all reporting they are on the latest firmware as well.

These desktops are unable to connect up to either the embedded Samsung Miracast nor the MS display adapter. It certainly isn't an OS configuration issue, and I'm not necessarily convinced it's a driver specific issue either. Something in one of the recent Windows updates has broken something and it's not clear which KB did it.

I'm seeing a # of threads elsewhere of folks complaining about Miracast breaking for them with the Fall Creators Update, some of which has been trickling into the business channel it seems.

I suppose Intel may need to update firmware on their wifi adapters, but even then, it seems odd that this just stopped after a few updates. I can connect other HP laptops and mobile devices up to these same TVs and MS display adapters, so its not like those have outright failed.

Microsoft has not been helpful, there is nothing on the HP side that is helpful...it seems that either MS broke it in Windows, or Intel has something that needs fixing on their end.

Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello eweihrauch,

We understand you're having issues sharing your display wirelessly using Miracast* ever since updating your OS to the Fall Creators Update.

Please keep in mind that while our adapter supports Miracast*, this feature does not receive direct support from our end. However, we will do our best to help you troubleshoot and hopefully identify the source of the problem.

In order to better assist you, we would like to get the following:

1. Please generate an Intel® System Support Utility report.
    1. Download and run the http://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293 Intel® System Support Utility.
    2. Select to scan "everything," and run the scan while connected to your wireless network (if possible).
    3. Choose next one more time to save the report.
  2. Please share your Dxdiag report.
    1. In the search box on the taskbar, type DXDIAG and run it. This will open the DirectX Diagnostic Tool.
    2. At the bottom of the window, select "Save All Information..."
  3. Please save both reports and attach them to your reply.

Note: To enable attachments, make sure to switch to the advanced editor while replying.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
EWeih
Beginner

Results attached.

Please note, for security reasons, I have sanitized the logs in terms of username, system name (and any reference to the system's actual serial # ), and our domain name.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello eweihrauch,

Thank you for providing the reports requested. Not to worry, we didn't need any of the things you may have sanitized, only your system configuration, driver versions, and such.

Based on these logs, it seems the problem may have to do with your graphics driver:

We can recommend trying the latest system specific driver provided by your computer manufacturer, they seem to have posted one specially for Windows® 10 Fall Creators Update (RS3). Although it may be worth mentioning that this seems to be a version older than the one you have currently installed (I could be wrong, not my area).

NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there. We do not offer support for any third party tool mentioned here.

- https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-envy-curved-34-b000-all-in-one-desktop-pc-series/13823530/swItemId/cp-201295-1 AMD Radeon* Discrete Graphics Driver (Windows® 10 v1709).

You may also update your https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27355 Intel® HD Graphics 630, although this may have no effect on this particular issue.

Please let us know if this helps.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
EWeih
Beginner

Please note your 'correct answer' is NOT the correct answer.

The Radeon gfx is never touched when Mircast is used, FYI. It's ONLY using the Intel Wireless and Intel graphics chipsets. I went ahead and updated to the latest AMD Radeon drivers as the new releases were out, but as expected, no change.

According to the Intel website and auto update utility, everything is up to date.

According to Microsoft, Windows is up to date (an update even applied over the weekend).

While I see how easy it would be to default to AMD being the issue with Miracast supported not being indicated let me reiterate again that MIRACAST DOES NOT TOUCH THE AMD DISCRETE GRAPHICS ON THIS SYSTEM.

Can Intel please verify that the AC 7265 and Intel 630 graphics drivers are actually up to date? Have you checked with Microsoft to ensure that there aren't and recent changes (and considering again that this issue started with updates in December specifically) that Intel needs to get on board with in this case?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello eweihrauch,

We understand your frustration. However, please remember that Miracast* is not our product, and has no direct support from Intel®. In this case, your computer manufacturer should be your primary source of support.

Upon further review, we noticed that both the SSU and the DxDiag reports show that you're currently using Windows® 10 RS2 (Creators Update, build 15063, version 1703), not Fall Creators Update (build 16299, version 1709). Could you please confirm, or update your OS to the latest build and let us know if the issue persists?

Also, do you have any other Miracast* capable PCs you could try to connect to your TV and/or the MS Display Adapter to confirm they aren't the problem?

I know it may seem unlikely that two separate devices are having issues, but this is how troubleshooting goes.

As an extra mile, I've managed to secure a test laptop from HP* which also uses the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 as your all in one. This system already had a newer version of Windows* than the one shown in the logs you've shared, so I'm currently reinstalling the OS to match the same build that you're using and should be able to test it by tomorrow. We don't have Samsung* TV nor a Microsoft* Display Adapter, but we do have a Miracast* receiver which should be close enough for us to validate or discard driver issues.

We'll post an update on this as soon as we can.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
EWeih
Beginner

Apologies if I was cranky.

I definitely appreciate that extra mile.

Good to know it's not something with the wireless chipset then.

Hmmm. I'm trying to get a hold of HP tech support, but looks they may be running a skeleton crew this week. Waited from about 8am until 6:45pm before someone picked up. Forgot I had the chat window open and came back in this morning and saw they suggested rolling back Windows for testing, LOL. We know it works before the December patches get applied, so it's sort of a moot point.

It's possibly the fall creators update fixes something. Some of that is eeking into the business channel which is what we are on. I may try doing the FCU tomorrow on one of the desktops to see how it goes. If it fixes something that'd be great.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello eweihrauch,

Oh don't worry, nothing to apologize for.

You're correct. Looking further into this issue I found that your discreet graphics driver doesn't support Miracast*, because as you mentioned, it doesn't need to. That should not affect your ability to cast your screen.

The overall takeaway from your DxDiag log is that your system does support Miracast* with High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP). Meaning it should work.

In our lab we had no issues connecting to our wireless display with Windows® Creators Update (RS2), nor Fall Creators Update (RS3).

You may need to check to see if there is a Group Policy or Firewall Rule that may preventing your system from sharing your display. While looking for the exact steps, I ran into an article covering this completely (you may need to copy and paste the URL if the link is still blocked by our WIP-whitelist): http://fmtrout.com/resolving-issues-with-miracast-in-windows-10-on-a-domain/ http://fmtrout.com/resolving-issues-with-miracast-in-windows-10-on-a-domain/

Note: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there.

Let us know if any of this helps resolve the issue.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
EWeih
Beginner

I can confirm that the Fall Creators Update 100% fixes the issue.

Interesting that the current business channel breaks it

I'll plan on just deploying the FCU for the other systems and getting them going again.

Thanks again for all your assistance, I definitely appreciate it

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello eweihrauch,

This is great news, we're very glad to hear.

If the update doesn't fix the other systems, don't hesitate to let us know.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
SMake
Beginner

Hello, support team!

When i try to connect to wireless display with miracast stick i see error "failed to connect".

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265

• Driver Provider Intel
  • Driver Version 19.51.16.2
  • Driver Date 22.10.2018

Intel® HD Graphics 520

• Driver Provider Intel Corporation
  • Driver Version 25.20.100.6471
  • Driver Date 12.10.2018

I don't know what i can do to fix.

0 Kudos
SMake
Beginner

C:\Users\makee>netsh wlan show driver

Имя интерфейса: Беспроводная сеть

Драйвер          : Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265

Производитель       : Intel Corporation

Поставщик         : Intel

Дата           : 22.10.2018

Версия          : 19.51.16.2

INF-файл         : oem75.inf

Тип            : Собственный драйвер Wi-Fi

Поддерживаемые типы

радиомодулей       : 802.11b 802.11g 802.11n 802.11a 802.11ac

Поддерживается режим FIPS 140-2: Yes

Защита кадров управления 802.11w поддерживается: да

Поддержка размещенной сети : нет

Методы проверки подлинности и шифрования, поддерживаемые в режиме инфраструктуры (infrastructure):

Открыть     Нет

Открыть     WEP-40bit

Открыть     WEP 104-разрядный

Открыть     WEP

WPA-Enterprise TKIP

WPA-Enterprise CCMP

WPA-Personal  TKIP

WPA-Personal  CCMP

WPA2-Enterprise TKIP

WPA2-Enterprise CCMP

WPA2-Personal  TKIP

WPA2-Personal  CCMP

Открыть     Определяется поставщиком

Определяется поставщикомОпределяется поставщиком

Наличие службы независимого поставщика оборудования:    Да

Уникальный код адаптера

независимого поставщика

оборудования: [00 80 86], тип: [00]

Путь к библиотеке DLL расширяемости

от независимого поставщика оборудования: C:\WINDOWS\system32\IntelWifiIhv04.dll

ClSID расширяемости пользовательского интерфейса независимого поставщика оборудования: {1bf6cb2d-2ae0-4879-a7aa-a75834fbd0e3}

CLSID диагностики независимого

поставщика оборудования: {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}

Поддерживается беспроводной дисплей: Да (Графический драйвер: Да, драйвер Wi-Fi: Да)

Last string is "Wireless display supported: Yes (Graphic driver: Yes, Wi-Fi driver: Yes)"

0 Kudos