Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7429 Discussions

Intel Wireless Bluetooth device can't keep up with two JoyCon controllers

JSmar2
Beginner

I have an Intel Wireless Bluetooth adapter that came with my Windows 10 laptop. My laptop came with an Intel Wireless-AC 9560, but the Bluetooth adapter just identifies as "Intel Wireless Bluetooth for Windows 10". I have BT driver version 20.90.1.1 installed.

I've been using Nintendo JoyCons connected by Bluetooth to play games on my computer. As each device is half a controller, I need two connected to play games properly.

With one device connected, it's responsive and fine -- input lag is imperceptible. With two connected, the first connected device becomes very laggy.

On my work computer, which has a Realtek Bluetooth 4.0 Adapter, I have no connection issues. Two connected devices are perfectly responsive, with no perceptible lag.

But the Intel Wireless Bluetooth adapter is part of my gaming computer, and that's where I really want to use the JoyCons. Is there anything that can be done to fix its responsiveness with multiple devices?

Is this a bug, or is it a limitation I should've anticipated from its specs? I'm considering buying a USB Bluetooth adapter, but I don't know what features to look for to know for sure that it'll fix my problem.

So those are my two questions:

1. Can this be fixed with my Intel Wireless Bluetooth adapter?
  2. If not, how do I know whether a USB adapter can handle multiple devices as well as I need (and expect) it to before I buy it?

Thanks for your time,

Jibb

0 Kudos
22 Replies
Amy_C_Intel1
Employee
Hello JSmar2, Thank you for posting on the Intel® Communities. Is this an integration? Did you integrate the Intel® Wireless adapter to your computer? Have you tried with your computer manufacturer's driver? You can try with their driver using this method: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html Please, let us know your computer model and the driver version you tested. Also, try the following: Go to the search Windows search bar Type services Click Yes at the pop-up window to allow this app to make changes Locate the Bluetooth Support Service and click on Bluetooth Support Serviceit Click Restart at the left top corner Amy C Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JSmar2
Beginner

Hi Amy,

This is an integration, I assume, as it came with my ASUS ROG Strix Scar Edition ( https://store.asus.com/us/item/201804AM060000008/-ASUS-ROG-Strix-Scar-Edition-GL703GS-DS74-17.3%E2%80%9D-Gaming-Laptop%2C-8th-Gen-6-Core-Intel-Core-i7-8750H-processor-%28up-to-3.9GHz%29%2C-GTX-1070-8GB%2C-144Hz-3ms-display%2C-16GB-DDR4%2C-256GB-PCIe-SSD-%2B-1TB-SSHD%2C-Windows-10 ).

I can't recall what driver I had at first, but it was dated January or February 2018. I upgraded to 20.90.1.1, and the performance with multiple devices definitely improved, but it's not good enough.

I found ASUS's device driver for the BT adapter, but I think it's just an older version of Intel's driver, V20.60.0.4. I'll give it a go, though, and get back to you.

Thanks for the help,

Jibb

0 Kudos
JSmar2
Beginner

Yeah, the older driver that's on the ASUS site doesn't help things.

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel1
Employee
Can the you do paring? It seems to be hardware problem, in this case you need to contact your computer manufacturer to check for a possible hardware failure. You can keep on checking downloadcenter.intel.com for future updates on BT devices. Amy C Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JSmar2
Beginner

Hi Amy, I'm not sure what you mean by asking if I can "do paring".

I have no troubles having my devices connect. But if I have two devices connected, I encounter significant lag from the first device.

I'll contact my hardware manufacturer.

Thanks for trying to help.

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel1
Employee
JSmar2, that's for that info. We just wanted to check if you were able to successfully pair the devices, but you just confirmed that. Please, let me know how it goes with your computer manufacturer. Amy C Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel1
Employee
Were you able to contact your computer manufacturer? Amy C Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JSmar2
Beginner

I've not yet reached out to them, as I've been very busy when I have access to that computer, but I'll try to do it soon.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel1
Employee
Thank you. In the meantime, you can try the following version: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28511/Intel-Wireless-Bluetooth-for-Windows-10?product=81534 Amy C Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JSmar2
Beginner

Thank you for pointing out the new version is available!

I installed it, restarted my computer, and as before, the most recently paired device works perfectly well, but the first connected device has noticeable input lag. In fact, this is much worse than it was before. I'll test it again next time I restart my computer, but if it's still this bad, I'll roll back to the previous driver version I was using.

Thanks,

Jibb

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel1
Employee
Jibb, let me know how that goes! Amy C Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JSmar2
Beginner

Hi Amy!

Having given it another go, it's not as bad as it was last night. The first-paired device is still noticeably laggy, similarly to how it was before I updated the driver. Unless I have more problems, I won't roll back the driver version, but I'm afraid it's still not good enough for a good gaming experience.

Thanks,

Jibb

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel1
Employee
Let me double check this. Amy C Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel1
Employee
Please, try this: Follow these steps to run the Windows built in troubleshooter. This is a diagnostic which helps to identify any potential driver related issues in the PC Type Troubleshooting in the search box and hit enter. Click on Troubleshooting tab. Click on view all option on the upper left corner. Select the Hardware and Device option from the list. Click Next to run the Hardware and Device Troubleshooter and follow the wizard. Amy C Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JSmar2
Beginner

Hi Amy,

The Hardware and Device Troubleshooter was unable to detect any problems.

Thanks,

Jibb

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel1
Employee
Jibb, in this case we recommend you to contact your computer manufacturer for more assistance regarding this issue. Amy C Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel1
Employee
You can always try the following: 1. Clean driver installation for both devices the wireless and Bluetooth with latest version 20.110 2. Try different computer and different network 3. Disconnect wireless connection and test Bluetooth. Intel® Wireless Bluetooth® for Windows® 10: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28511/Intel-Wireless-Bluetooth-for-Windows-10?product=99446 Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows® 10: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28503/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-10?product=99446 Clean Installation of Wireless Drivers: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html Let us know the results. Amy C Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JSmar2
Beginner

Thanks, Amy C.

I've tried disconnecting wireless before and it didn't help. Also tried an external USB adapter (cheap no-name brand) and things were sometimes better, but sometimes worse. On my only other computer everything works fine -- it has a Realtek adapter built in.

I had also tried updating the Wireless driver, but the Intel driver installing helper said it couldn't.

Thanks for your time, but I think I'm about ready to give up on this one. I haven't found any evidence that this problem isn't just a limitation of the built-in device.

Thanks,

Jibb

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel1
Employee
I understand Jibb. Have you check with your computer manufacturer for a hardware failure? Amy C Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel1
Employee
If you need further assistance let us know. Amy C Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos